[HOW TO] Restore your Motorola Droid 4 (XT894) to stock [Windows Only]

RitaT1219

Reaction score
i used the .215 file. and yeah it's pretty crappy. i have not had this phone long at all, and it's completely bricked. i have had to use my old droid X and that is the worst phone i have ever had. I forgot how slow and messed up that phone was. Is there NO way at all or me to fix my droid 4 at all without buying that $25 factory USB cable?

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Is there NO way at all or me to fix my droid 4 at all without buying that $25 factory USB cable?
Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet (nor have we figured out what caused it to happen in the first place.)

FYI, the factory cable is only $10 on eBay.

nitrojuga

Reaction score
The factory cable I made did not work. I've got something else I'm going to try, but I won't be able to try it for at least a few more days.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
There is the d4 flash it tool created by kolk at project eternity developers. It is simply an alternative way to flash the xml. You can find a link to it on xda developers or go to the project eternity developers website. Flashing an xml takes alot of juice, its not like flashing the old sbf files. So it is always wise to start with a full battery. I personally never flash a rom or attempt to modify major system files unless i am fully charged to prevent a low battery situation. I would also advise anyone that has an issue flashing an xml the first few times to power the phone off and request advice before running into a low battery error.
Always, always, always use the cable that comes with the phone to flash.
Hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

nitrojuga

Reaction score
Alright. Got the latest one flashed on my phone :). 219 I think? Had to power both of the battery terminals via external power source to get it done. Problem is, when I fist took my phone apart, I tugged on the battery. That was a big no no , as I snapped the ribbon cable. I'm getting to the "?" battery screen now so that looks good. Also, SGMD1 could you edit the original post to say at the top "DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOUR BATTERY IS AT 100%". I think this will keep a lot of people from having to fix their phone the hard way. Because even if they are at 50/60% or something, if the flash fails, they may not have enough battery life to do a second flash.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
SGMD1 could you edit the original post to say at the top "DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOUR BATTERY IS AT 100%". I think this will keep a lot of people from having to fix their phone the hard way. Because even if they are at 50/60% or something, if the flash fails, they may not have enough battery life to do a second flash.
Done :)

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Alright. Got the latest one flashed on my phone :). 219 I think? Had to power both of the battery terminals via external power source to get it done. Problem is, when I fist took my phone apart, I tugged on the battery. That was a big no no , as I snapped the ribbon cable. I'm getting to the "?" battery screen now so that looks good. Also, SGMD1 could you edit the original post to say at the top "DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOUR BATTERY IS AT 100%". I think this will keep a lot of people from having to fix their phone the hard way. Because even if they are at 50/60% or something, if the flash fails, they may not have enough battery life to do a second flash.

Glad to see you got it working. Were you able to repair the ribbon for the battery? If so post what you did in detail so someone else who may have made the same mistake can have a point of reference on what to do.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

nitrojuga

Reaction score
I was not able to repair the cable. What I did is probably not going to be available for most users. I use electronic cigarettes and have made a variable voltage unit. I set the voltage to 4.2 volts and rewired it so it was constantly giving out power. I held the positive and negative posts to the battery for as long as it takes to flash which was around 20 minutes with the file already extracted. Then just did pretty much what the post said in the beginning. You could probably get by with using a spliced usb cable at 5v, but I'm pretty sure you run the possibility of frying your device with the extra voltage coming through so I can't recommend that at all. I'm not even 100% sure the phone is even working, I can't get into the operating system without my battery. But with the battery icon showing on boot, it seems as if it's going to work when I replace the battery. Not sure when I'll be able to buy another battery, have only seen one seller online at amazon and the battery is 40 bucks and I have no money LOL.

nitrojuga

Reaction score
Did either of you end up getting it to work?

I didn't have any money to get a battery. Now that I do have money, the only retailer I've seen doesn't have them in stock anymore. No real way to test unless you know of a way to boot the phone without a battery in it.

RitaT1219

Reaction score
No, I did not. I went up to Verizon and told them my phone was stolen and they told me that I would have to pay a deductible of $100 and u can not pay that kind of money right now. I had only had it for one month.

Can anyone pleaseeeee just tell me if there is anything that I can do? A step by step process would be greatly appreciated! But ny phones battery is currently dead and I have not found a way to charge it. I can get the screen to come on if I plug it up to the wall to charge but it still says low battery and it doesn't seem as if it will charge anymore. Do I need to buy that $25 factory cable? Or is there another way for me to this ? One of my friends told me that us if I can find someone with a stock DROID 4 I could just copy all of the files on their phone and transfer them to my phone. Does anyone know if that works and how I could possibly do that? And would anyone be willing to copy their stock files for me? I am completely DESPERATE. I'm stuck using my old crappy DROID x which was the reason I had to get a new phone on the first place.

Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated! !! Thanks!

nitrojuga

Reaction score
This will restore your phone to stock so you don't really need the stock files. You're going to have to find a way to power the phone externally. If you have access to something that outputs power at 3.6ish to 4.2 volts with a rating of around .5 amps that would be best. You can't charge with the operating system not working. My original flash failed with the (215 I think?) but the 219 worked flawlessly. If you do power it externally, make SURE you disconnect the battery first. I did try flashing my phone a second time with a cut up USB cable as a power source(and it worked) which puts out 5v at about .5 amps, just for the hell of it, but I can't recommend that at all. You risk frying your phone doing that, but as a last resort, I'd personally try it. You can use the screws to clamp down on the cables, but you will need some torx wrenches. I believe it's a t5 or t4 for the battery terminals. Make sure you have it wired correctly (red wire is positive, black wire is negative). If you are able to do that, reconnect your battery and plug in the phone via wall charger. You should be back at stock and have your battery charging and your phone working again.

Npizzle

Reaction score
ap fastboot

After I go to the AP Fastboot it says my Device is LOCKED. Is it suppose to say that for this to work? When I use RSD Lite it says to select Decompress and Start Flashing
the only option I can choose is Decompress Only or Cancel.

nitrojuga

Reaction score
pretty sure that means the boot loader is locked. mine said that too. it also needs to say battery OK and OK to program. from my experiences, if the battery is OK then its OK to program. sounds like your computer isn't recognizing the phone.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2