How should the droid 5 be designed

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is probably safe to assume we will see another Droid. But we are still off from seeing the device that along hearing rumors about it. My last few phones have been on screen keyboards and I must admit I miss having a slider. I heard back door rumors that the d5 could be moto/Google first unlocked device for vzw since the of Droid, but with any rumor just take it with a grain of salt. Still if you had moto/Google's ears what would you want in the droid 5 besides the obvious unlockable boot loader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I would think that San Jay would still have headed the D5. I mean Apple can still run off of Job's ideas for another couple of years, but I guess since it honestly can't be THAT hard for moto to unlock a bootloader.

Anyways, I'm guessing the following.

• A more defined 5 row QWERY keyboard
  • 4.3" 720p display
  • 2GB RAM
  • Dual/Quad SnapDragon S4 @ 1.5GHz. Though, maybe Moto will put an OMAP 5 in it.
  • 12MP rear Camera with 2MP FFC.
  • No removable battery
  • JellyBean
Something tells me it's going to share specs with the upcoming DROID Razr HD, Fighter, or whatever it's called

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Docking capabilities. 16 gig internal with a sd card slot. ( I would like to see 2 sd slots) lighted keyboard. External speaker ( good ones) the new gorilla glass 4.7 or bigger screen. Battery to go 30 hours with moderate usage. Dual boot with windows 8 . Quad processor and 2 gig of ram.

I know pipe dream

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would think that San Jay would still have headed the D5. I mean Apple can still run off of Job's ideas for another couple of years, but I guess since it honestly can't be THAT hard for moto to unlock a bootloader that it's possible.

• 4.3" 720p display
  • 2GB RAM
  • Dual/Quad SnapDragon S4 @ 1.5GHz. Though, maybe Moto will put an OMAP 5 in it.
  • No removable battery
  • JellyBean
Something tells me it's going to share specs with the upcoming DROID Razr HD, Fighter, or whatever it's called

Like that. I believe you are right that it may be based on the maxx or maxx hd design. I too am hoping they go atleast 4.3 inch. But to add to that I would like at least the same super amoled display that is on the razr. I doubt it will come wit jelly bean because motorola would not have had enough time to test it with their software, but I would be cool with ics.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Docking capabilities. 16 gig internal with a sd card slot. ( I would like to see 2 sd slots) lighted keyboard. External speaker ( good ones) the new gorilla glass 4.7 or bigger screen. Battery to go 30 hours with moderate usage. Dual boot with windows 8 . Quad processor and 2 gig of ram.

I know pipe dream

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

4.7 would be awesome they would just have to find away to make the keyboard and device thinner so combined it will not be so bulky. If the combined bulk at most the thickness of the bionic I think people would be ok with that.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Like that. I believe you are right that it may be based on the maxx or maxx hd design. I too am hoping they go atleast 4.3 inch. But to add to that I would like at least the same super amoled display that is on the razr. I doubt it will come wit jelly bean because motorola would not have had enough time to test it with their software, but I would be cool with ics.

I wouldn't put it past moto. In the past (excluding the D4) the OG DROID line always had the current version of Android. Like:

D1: 2.0
D2: 2.2
D3: 2.3

It's kind of weird, cause not even the X line launches with the current version, and there's only like a month between those two lines.

Unfortunately, the D4 launched a month after ICS so it would be hard for moto to have ICS on it. But assuming JB is announced next week, and depending on when the D5 launches I think it's possible.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I would think that San Jay would still have headed the D5. I mean Apple can still run off of Job's ideas for another couple of years, but I guess since it honestly can't be THAT hard for moto to unlock a bootloader.

• 4.3" 720p display
  • 2GB RAM
  • No removable battery
  • JellyBean

Everything in this list, except I want it to have a removable battery.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

r314bd

Reaction score
Thin, thin, thin!

I went from the D1 -> D4 and there is almost no difference in thickness. I think the single most desirable physical change for the D5 would be to cut the thickness down by 15-20%.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Thin, thin, thin!

I went from the D1 -> D4 and there is almost no difference in thickness. I think the single most desirable physical change for the D5 would be to cut the thickness down by 15-20%.

That would be great, as long as it doesn't affect build quality. It has to be sturdy, sturdy, sturdy. I'm satisfied with the thickness of my D3. I would like it to be a tad bit lighter, though.

For the record, the ONLY way I would get another Motorola is if the bootloader is unlocked. I know it's obvious but I still gotta say it. :)

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Razr max with a slider and a unlocked bootloader. Oh, and a NFC chip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Razr max with a slider and a unlocked bootloader. Oh, and a NFC chip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Without the bump in the back.

Evilnut

Reaction score
I went from the OG droid, to a D2 Global to the D4. My girl friend has a D3. I love physical keyboards and will loath the day that there is not a Droid with a physical keyboard! That being said, this is what i would like to see on the D5:

-4.3 - 5" display
-720p resolution minimum
-micro SD slot
-min 3000 mha battery (if that big does not need to be removable)
-latest gorilla glass
-dedicated @ key
-similar keyboard as current D4 but larger with the bigger screen, maybe a 6th row
-2 gigs ram (will really help to work better on lapdock)
-latest cpu tech, maybe even best there is available
-latest Android OS, possibly even flagship for newest or latest release
-10 - 12mp rear camera with awesome performance
-8.5mm thick max

• -16 gigs internal storage to handle the newest apps that will probably be much larger sized as cpu performance increases
    -cutting edge design elements that really set it apart but keep with overall moto design theme
    -excellent speaker for listening to movies/music with friends
    -NFC
    -work with existing HD docks and lapdocks

Since I got my D4 and lapdock on launch day I rarely use a PC/Laptop anymore.

It would be great to be able to get a wireless dumb 8.9" screen to mirror to also. Talk about the perfect set up!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
D5 should herald the Intel chips. Clocked at 1.5Ghz, 1gb of RAM and have a slide out virtual keyboard that can run 2 amps if needed or double the screen size for a single app.

That right there would be the shiznit.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

WarHawks

Reaction score
I think 2GB RAM and a quad core 1.5GHz processor should not be that hard for an upcoming Droid5.

The D4 just came out in February I believe, so if anything the D5 will be out late, late this year or early next year. That should provide enough time for the latest and greatest hardware and Jelly Bean.

-Other specs should be a Super AMOLED 720p screen, 4.3-4.7" screen with Gorilla Glass.

-10-12 MP camera, with none of the weird colors. (I.E. Droid Razr has an odd green/blue tint to pictures) I want beautiful clarity. The front facing camera should be a 2MP at least.

-Removable battery, but if it a big, long lasting battery, I won't mind.

-KEVLAR back would be cool too, if the battery can't be removed.

-Jelly Bean OS with very little MOTOBLUR additions (like they did with ICS, I love it).

-The keyboard is almost self explanatory though. Just make it nice and big with the screen, reasonable dedicated buttons, and make it light up.