How do I root my phone?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Right, as I understand it sydman, voodoo allows one to unroot for ota, and then re root back after ota...is that correct?

Thanks,
Geoff

Yes that is correct.

OP
GPYoung

GPYoung

Reaction score
I assume that all I have to install as per,the 1.8 utility post are items 1 and 2 or,are,there others as well and what purpose do the serve if needed?

Thanks,
Geoff

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Option 1 is to restore your system to stock .211, so no I would not do that unless you are having problems.

Option 2 is to root.

The rest of the options pretty much do what they say, install whatever program they mention. The last two for flashing boot.img I would not worry about those.

OP
GPYoung

GPYoung

Reaction score
Right, I actually meant 2 for root and 3 for voodo, should any of the others be installed?

Thanks,
Geoff

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You can install Bootstrap or Safestrap but NOT BOTH, choose one or the other if you want to install.

I use Bootstrap but I am not a fan of Safestrap, Safestrap is if you are going to be installing custom ROMS.

I like Bootstrap for backups.

OP
GPYoung

GPYoung

Reaction score
Sheesh I feel like a lamb about to jump in a lion den.
The 1.8 post while amazingly informative would not suffer a fool too well at all. Glad I am asking. As to previous post re- install 1 and 2, just typed that wrong. I did know that 1 restores 211, but thanks for catching me.....So, 2,3, and bootstrap right?
Assume that means three installations?

Thanks,
Geoff

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would do number 2 and 3 for sure.

Bootstrap is completely up to you, that is going to replace your stock recovery and is more permanent install over root. To remove bootstrap you would have to use fastboot files to flash back to stock (option 1).

So that should be installed only if you think you will really need it, personally you would probably be better off just rooting and having VooDoo.

OP
GPYoung

GPYoung

Reaction score
Thank you......as you have surmised, I am new to rooting and just want to have a good chance at success. Nor do I want to install unneeded (or as yet unneeded items).

Thanks,
Geoff

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
No problem at all, hope you enjoy the root.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I will second the motion that this forum, specifically the razr section is beyond awesome. I have no patience for forums where any sniping or boorish behavior of any sort occurs. Cheers to you each and all for making this THE place to look for logical, insightful, and relevant answers!

Thanks,
Geoff

:yeahbaby01::woot::gotmyvote::yr1::bling::rockon::rating10::bump:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sheesh I feel like a lamb about to jump in a lion den.
The 1.8 post while amazingly informative would not suffer a fool too well at all. Glad I am asking. As to previous post re- install 1 and 2, just typed that wrong. I did know that 1 restores 211, but thanks for catching me.....So, 2,3, and bootstrap right?
Assume that means three installations?

Thanks,
Geoff

GP, you aren't the first to feel that the post is perhaps...dare I say "confusing". I believe it's primarily due to the fact that there has been SO MANY iterations/versions/updates of that software that each time the instruction set is re-written a certain level of "you should know this by now" may be implied or inferred. A newbie would be best reading the entire thread and all questions/answers to get a personal understanding...OR, simply call on our FANTASTIC RS Staff, Moderators/SuperModerators, who will sort it all out for you! You see, if the information was simple and easy and any newbie could understand it...there'd be no need for us (call it job security...:icon_ devil:). (JK). :p

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
GP, you aren't the first to feel that the post is perhaps...dare I say "confusing". I believe it's primarily due to the fact that there has been SO MANY iterations/versions/updates of that software that each time the instruction set is re-written a certain level of "you should know this by now" may be implied or inferred. A newbie would be best reading the entire thread and all questions/answers to get a personal understanding...OR, simply call on our FANTASTIC RS Staff, Moderators/SuperModerators, who will sort it all out for you! You see, if the information was simple and easy and any newbie could understand it...there'd be no need for us (call it job security...:icon_ devil:). (JK). :p

:yeahbaby01: :woot::gotmyvote: :yr1: :bling: :rockon: :rating10: :bump: :hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Very funny... :blink: