how do i extend my battery life?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
how can streaming a radio station take up that much bandwidth?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Seeing how radio stations don't account for mobile streaming, they only care about broadcasting to radios, cars, etc. OTA Broadcast frequencies don't have the same limitedness 3G networks have. So it's easier for a car or radio to handle this. Don't get me wrong, my mom has a Zen MP3 and changes the battery almost everyday, and all she does is listen to the radio on it for maybe 3-5 hours.
If the station doesn't compress, radio edit, that's the culprit
Like I said, you're looking at an average of 240MB every 2 hours, which is alot to be streaming over 3G.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
why have an radio station app if it is not to be used for long periods of time? Seems pointless as most people don't want to just listen for 30 minutes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
why have an radio station app if it is not to be used for long periods of time? Seems pointless as most people don't want to just listen for 30 minutes.

"long period" is relative.

If I can get 4-5 hours of heavy use on a single charge, I consider that sufficient....Long enough to last a plane ride (well, wouldn't be using 3G anyway) or long enough for an afternoon at the beach.

You can always get a second battery. I have an extended battery for my laptop, but without it my standard battery would last only 2.5-3 hours of surfing. You're using your phone like a computer but expect dumbphone cell life. Just unrealistic.

You've got an app on your phone that you apparently love, but are whining and going to sell the phone because your battery doesn't last as long as you'd like. Doesn't make much sense to me.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
It's for convenience, and it's not the app that determines battery life it's the hardware. Apps like these, that are based off of actual websites, are for on-the-go type use. Like if you have to quickly run down the street, you can access the site on your phone and not miss anything, then resume service on the site.

If you are near or at a computer during the day, why not give your phone a rest and just hop on www.iheartradio.com ?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
i'm working outside 5 days a week. Listening to radio stations in different cities helps make my day go faster. Sad thing is I am working 7.5 hours and my phone won't last that long.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
i'm working outside 5 days a week. Listening to radio stations in different cities helps make my day go faster. Sad thing is I am working 7.5 hours and my phone won't last that long.

OK, so plugging in is not an option then?

One dumb question, are you able to turn off the screen while listening (makes a big difference).

Consider investing in a Seido extended battery or two. Two should get you thru the day.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
yes it does turn off after 30 seconds. I can't really afford an seido extended battery that costs $65 right now.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
If you working outside, why don't you just invest in a portable radio? Why must you be so difficult and listen to stations that are outside of state? Do they really play that much of a difference in music?
I live in Manhattan, so I listen to z100, when I go upstate to the country, I listen to 104.7 (dunno the name). I compared the two stations, and they play the asme songs just in different orders. I understand you want to listen to outside radio stations, I have a Colorado station in my favorites, but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. Cannot want one thing and another at the same time. If you want to listen to radio on your phone for extended amounts of time, then you gonna have to sacrifice battery life. Maybe cut back and listen for like 20 minutes at a time, give your phone a break.

You gonna have to stick with Android if you sell your droid, and you aren't gonna find a phone capable of what you want. You want a PHONE to do what a COMPUTER/RADIO is meant to do -_-"

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Sansa Clip ...$35 at amazon. It lasts forever, is tiny, has FM, voice recorder, choose how many GB u want. I listen to Howard Stern all day...set up my computer to record the east coast feed.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
i like listening to wnci out of columbus ohio that is why i use iheartradio. Is there a place i can get an extended battery cheaper than $65?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I post in so many of these battery threads I lose track of the ones I have said this. I really need this on a clipboard or maybe copy it onto a a word doc program.

The best thing you can do is go to Amazon.com and get two regular batteries. It will be under 20.00 shipping included. Invest another 5.00 on a charger that plugs into the wall from ebay. Buy from the guy in Brooklyn, he's faster and easier to deal with then the guy in China.

Charge up an extra battery….or two with the wall charger and your good to go. Just replace the battery as it wears down.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
how good are the batteries that are $20? I think some are 1300 and some 1420.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's a phone at the core plain and simple. Not a radio, not a computer and not a tv. make and send calls. Everything else is extra. Want the radio for more than working out or waiting for your ride? Buy a portable radio or mp3 player.

You want to extend battery life? Get an ulv kernel if the phone can handle it. Get a task killer and set it to lill all apps not used 24/7. I went from 8 hours to 2 days just by doing this. I am still working on it but I think 2 days for max usage is pretty good. The phones are made ti (if you have it in you) to bend them to your will. DO IT. Test it.
Think about it. A stock laptop will last 2 hours on a battery. Why would a stock cell phone go longer?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
i have simpl;y stunning 4.4 on my phone, where would i find a uvl kernel for it? I do have a task killer and I noticed it has killed alot of apps. I guess I'm just used to my regular phone lasting a long time and my plugged in pc lasting a long time.