how do i extend my battery life?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I have a motorola droid but the battery life stinks. Seems like the more apps I run the faster it dies, especially when listening to apps like live radio stations it dies within 5 hours of use.
What can i do to extend the life and how many extended life batteries are there? I want to spend under $50 if possible.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I have the Seidio extended battery. This guarantees me that I can definitely make it through a whole day. I brought one for about $40 from Amazon. It changes the the size of your phone. You just have to ask yourself is it more important for form factor or battery life.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Certain activities will eat up the battery. You can analyze your usage and use the tools out there to tackle items that are eating your battery and/or get an extended (or spare) battery.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
i can't find the seido for $40 anywhere. Is there a link to where i can find it for $40? The cheapest I found was $62.

bmxmommie

Reaction score
i downloaded the advanced task killer free... it works great.

its in the market, under productivity.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
i downloaded the advanced task killer free... it works great.

its in the market, under productivity.

You should Delete ATK....It does nothing to help battery life.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again: display is BY FAR the #1 opportunity for battery life - most other options involve a shift in usage patterns, which is what we all try to avoid doing. Get used to operating on min brightness indoors. If battery life is an issue for you, then also get used to letting the phone sleep after 30-60 seconds of inactivity.

Voice calls on the handset turn the display off. However, if you use a bluetooth or the speaker, I don't believe the screen turns off, so do it manually if you have no use to be looking at your phone while on a call. Same concept, turn off the display when using to listen to music and doing nothing else.

The other major thing you can do is root, because underclocking offers tremendous battery savings (especially when idle). But you have to experiment with different roms and kernels because in my experience battery usage can vary widely among different rom/kernel combos (talking like 10-20%).

Also, I'd agree axing the task killers can provide noticeable improvement in battery life. Oh, and it's better to use wifi vs. 3G when actively browsing or downloading, but turn it off when not in use (not a huge gain, but you might get another 30 minutes of active use).

Even widgets and programs like news apps that update frequently seem to offer very marginal gains individually, even in total I don't think the gain makes the effort and inconvenience worthwhile. But you could have a rogue app that was coded poorly burning battery, and the best solution is just delete the app.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
ok i have simply stunning v4.4 .How is this compared to oither roms in terms of battery life? What is the best rom in terms of battery life?
I have a task killer and when I kill the different tasks they come back up after a minute. Some examples are the weather channel, yahoo mail and messaging widget.

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
First of all, turn down your screen brightness.

Second of all, look at what apps you're using and consider changing how you use your phone.

Third, buy extra batteries and swap them out when they die, buy a battery charger too. I bought 2 extra OEM batteries for $10 each. If you buy an extended battery, your droid will not accurately read how much of a charge there is. If you buy extra normal batteries they will be cheaper, you will have an accurate charge reading and you can charge them while using your Droid.

I hook my batteries up to my solar USB charger while camping or my computer while at home. This system is cheap, reliable and works well.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Im ready to sell my droid. Only lasted from 2 to 5 playing IHeartRadio app. Inexcusable. If I can't figure out how to get it to run IHeartRadio longer than 3 hours it's going on ebay by this weekend.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
no its a promise. If the phone only lasts 3 hours doing what i want it to do what is the sense in keeping it.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Im ready to sell my droid. Only lasted from 2 to 5 playing IHeartRadio app. Inexcusable. If I can't figure out how to get it to run IHeartRadio longer than 3 hours it's going on ebay by this weekend.
You expect your phone battery to last longer than 2 hours when it's streaming music that is on average 2 Mb each song? Not to mention the ads if iHeartRadio streams them aswell. (I use RadioTime, has K-Rock and RXP <3)
if you phone is rooted, try chevy's ultra low voltage kernels, I have his 1.2Ghz LV kernel, and ran RadioTime for 3 hours, when I was done, was at 20%

EDIT: If you solely want to listen to the radio, why don't you just pick up one of those Zen MP3 players than have FM radio, they run on AA batteries..

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
yes i expect it to last at least 7 hours listening to live radio. If it can't last that long then i am probably selling it.

I like to listen to radio from other cities. that is why i dont use a fm radio to listen to music.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
yes i expect it to last at least 7 hours listening to live radio. If it can't last that long then i am probably selling it.

I like to listen to radio from other cities. that is why i dont use a fm radio to listen to music.
Don't be an idiot, no phone can do that.
Let's do the math:
An average 2 minute song is about 3 MB
Streamed Ads can prbly be about 1.5-3MB each. You can probably listen to atleast 10-15 songs in an hour, depending on the station. So that's about 25 ads?

Do the math: 3*15 = 45MB*2 = 90MB
25*3MB = 75MB*2 = 150MB
That's 240MB you stream over 2 hours, not to mention Facebook/Twitter/Social Networking updates, you're usual web browsing, phone calls and whatever else you do that uses data. 3g networks aren't meant to stream that kind of bandwidth, nor is your phone, so it's working extra hard.
If you expect a phone to run 7 hours while streaming live radio, you are a moron.
((75+45)7 = 840MB
FYI: Song's can be up to 5MB so I'll let you do the math. And if you're streaming from farther distances, that's more work for your connection.