@home WiFi

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
Since COVID-19, many of us are working from home and dealing with the challenges of maintaining good, reliable network connectivity throughout our homes. Ideally, we should have our wireless routers installed in the center of our house, but mine is installed where the cable company drops off their coax cable; in my family room, which is on the opposite end of my house from where my home office is. Although I have a fairly decent signal into that room, my speed and reliability is nothing compared to if I were sitting in the family room. I know one option would be to pay my cable company to reroute the Coax cable to a room that is in the center of my home.

I have tried just about everything; WiFi extenders, and Ethernet over PowerLine with very limited success.

I have recently been reading about WiFi 6, which uses mesh technology. Sounds like something I may want to pursue ... but they are pretty pricey. So, before I jump in, I was wondering if any of you have had any experience ... positive or negative with either WiFi 6 or just setting up your home WiFi network that has overcome some of these challenges.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
What service provider? I connected to cable box in bad reception room using splitter and used Verizon extender on 5G...

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
I have Cox Cable as my provider ... I have a really fast connection to my router ... Gig-A-Blast Service. I think one we finally get 5G out here, that may be an option .... I have a cable box in the room that has bad reception. Can I relocate my modem and router to that room??

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I have Cox Cable as my provider ... I have a really fast connection to my router ... Gig-A-Blast Service. I think one we finally get 5G out here, that may be an option .... I have a cable box in the room that has bad reception. Can I relocate my modem and router to that room??
So have you tried extender connected to cable coming into your box?

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
I feel kinda dumb because I'm not sure what you mean by extender connected to the cable coming to the box .... are you referring to the main box ... in my family room ... or one in the bedroom?

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
Haven't tried these, but these 3 and 4 piece routers are supposed to help. I have about a 1 1/2 year old Asus RT-AC86U that I get good coverage with.

Amazon.com : wifi router 3 piece

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I feel kinda dumb because I'm not sure what you mean by extender connected to the cable coming to the box .... are you referring to the main box ... in my family room ... or one in the bedroom?

No worries I’m sure it’s not coming out what I’m thinking to typing ...so In the bad reception room you have a cable box hopefully hooked up to the TV ...you get a splitter one to two side ..connects cable coming in from wall to one side ..then on the two connection side of splitter one connects to TV/cable box and the other to the extender ..so instead of extender trying to bounce through walls and slower you have it hard wire to cable in room ...

Here’s the sample of mine

https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...port/consumer/documents/wifi-extender-qsg.pdf

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
Looks great .. oh, how I wish FIOS was available where I live!!!!

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
It took me a while, but I finally understand. This technology is called MoCa ...multimedia over coax ... thanks

OP
socal droid

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
Now researching the best product within my budget .. so many on Amazon with good reviews