Can't get wifi to work at home

loboblanco

Reaction score
Hi, I have wifi in my office, punched in the password, works perfectly.

I have wireless at home through a cable modem and wireless router. Use a wireless laptop at home every day. But when I punched in the password (and yes I verified it is the correct password) it just doesn't connect. Anyone else have this problem? Could this be because of security from the cable company? When I originally set up my laptop I had to plug it in to the router before it would work wirelessly. I need to use my wifi at home because I get a lousy 3g signal inside!

normbarb

Reaction score
I, also, cannot get my WiFi to connect at home. I keep getting a message that the connection is unsuccessful. I have two laptops connected. It is 802.11/g with WEP encryption. The encryption is correct in the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Norm

mjs31

Reaction score
Mine connects immediately and I also use WEP. All I can say is click on your wifi settings in your phone and double check everything. It should list your wifi network (maybe just the router brand itself) in there. You could also down some wifi apps that will check available networks and make sure yours is showing up.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Ditto what mjs31 said, I use WEP and connecting to the network was easy. I enabled wifi, my networked showed up, typed in my wep password and was connected. It automatically reconnects every time I enable wifi on the phone.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Mine works fine and I use WPA2. For those still running WEP, you do realize that has been broken wide open, right? You really need to move on to WPA2 if all of your equipment supports it. Any scriptboy hacker can drive up in front of your house and own your WEP network and completely violate everything on it within a few minutes. If you must use WEP because of old devices you should add MAC addressing, though that's not a real barrier for a true hacker.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
Sounds like your router is having a hard time assigning your droid an ip. Try and reboot both of them and see of that helps.

eversonsc

Reaction score
My issue is totally different. Mine will actually connect and has been connecting just fine for 3 weeks but as of yesterday it won't load any data. It's connected but acts like it isn't. I've tried rebooting, taking the battery out etc and I still can't get it to load anything. I'm guessing I'll have to take it back for my 2nd replacement (the first phone rebooted constantly)

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Mine works fine and I use WPA2. For those still running WEP, you do realize that has been broken wide open, right? You really need to move on to WPA2 if all of your equipment supports it. Any scriptboy hacker can drive up in front of your house and own your WEP network and completely violate everything on it within a few minutes. If you must use WEP because of old devices you should add MAC addressing, though that's not a real barrier for a true hacker.

I live on 12 acres in the middle of effin' nowhere, my driveway is 1/4 mile long surrounded by hills on both sides. Scriptboy hackers aren't a worry.

Having said that, if I lived in a city or the burbs, I'd change.

normbarb

Reaction score
I logged into my router and reconfigured the SSID and encryption (to the original values) and my Droid now connects. Thanks for the help.

Norm