Here's the 5.5.893 update file str8 from Moto. No root necessary.

dbb

Reaction score
Yes it does fix the keyboard while typing on charger. That was a huge problem for me, even my original droid had the problem. I just tried it out for you, and yes, it seemed to work just fine!

dbb

Reaction score
Btw it says my system version is 5.5.893.

devils3023

Reaction score
dbb;[URL="tel:1821722" said:
1821722[/URL]]Yes it does fix the keyboard while typing on charger. That was a huge problem for me, even my original droid had the problem. I just tried it out for you, and yes, it seemed to work just fine!

Awesome,thanks! Any thoughts on whether or not applying this update will prevent me from receiving future ota updates from moto/vzw?

713King

Reaction score
Just do it, if you can't receive updates there will always be another method etc. You guys worry to much you are not rooted or anything so if you don't receive an update call Verizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, finally got it to recognize the final and prompt me to do the update. One question before I apply it though. Will installing this "update" have any effect on receiving future updates from moto/vzw? I don't want to install this and then not be able to apply the big ICS update when it comes out.

OK, assuming (repeat assuming) that it's like the updates to the OG Droid, when the update rolls out Verizon pings your phone to see if you need an update. If you do it loads the update to your phone. If your phone answers that you are "up to date" it won't. That's what I was told when Froyo became available on this site. If you get it OTA or from an official update downloaded into your phone with manual installation it won't matter. It needs to be the official update for that to happen though.

Personally I'm waiting a bit to make sure there are no problems popping up.

Last edited:

DoctorV

Reaction score
One thing here. If you check the "USB Debugging" and use USB Mass Storage you see 2 storage areas when connected to a computer, one is MOT and the other is the SD-EXT. Which should it go to? When connected in "PC Mode" it acts as one drive, but it seems to move stuff first to the internal memory.

I want to be sure; should the zip file go to the root of the internal drive or external drive? Maybe that's why it isn't working for some.

I'm not sure how anyone is seeing "SD-EXT". I'm not sure what exactly everyone is doing to get this to work. These are the steps that I'm doing:

1. Phone and PC are both powered on. I have Windows7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I'm rooted with forever root.
2. I plug my official Motorola usb cord into my computer and then the other end into my Bionic.
3. My phone gave me a notification and asked me how I wanted to connect and I selected the USB Mass Storage option.
4. My computer first comes up with a message that states, "Do you want to scan and fix Removable Disk (F:)? There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it." and then it gives me two options of "Scan and fix (recommended)" or "Continue without scanning".
5. I choose "Continue without scanning"
6. Then Windows asks me how I want to interact with the device and I select "Open folder to view files".
7. I then have a "Removable Disk (F:) directory with the following folders in it: "clockworkmod", "dcim" and "LOST.DIR".

I don't know where I should be placing the "Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip". Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

dbb

Reaction score
Download file to your pc. hook up bioinic to pc and drag the zip folder (right click drag and click copy here,do not extract it). I dropped into I believe it was F: which would be my SD card in my phone.

I didnt place it any folder, just dropped it in it.

I unplugged phone from usb after doing this. I went to settings and click applications and then made sure the box that said unknown sources was checked.

I then went to my apps and clicked files. I then clicked the the SD card, and after about a second it popped it with an update found and the rest was history. Good luck.

DoctorV

Reaction score
Download file to your pc. hook up bioinic to pc and drag the zip folder (right click drag and click copy here,do not extract it). I dropped into I believe it was F: which would be my SD card in my phone.

I didnt place it any folder, just dropped it in it.

I unplugged phone from usb after doing this. I went to settings and click applications and then made sure the box that said unknown sources was checked.

I then went to my apps and clicked files. I then clicked the the SD card, and after about a second it popped it with an update found and the rest was history. Good luck.

Mother of mercy thank you! Ok I guess it was way too easy for me to believe :) I was too hung up trying to find "SD-EXT".

I am officially updated. Thank you dbb and thank you OP for posting this!

Zregnier

Reaction score
Anyone rooted install this? Can you confirm root is broken?

GoBears

Reaction score
For you guys that this file worked. What version were you on when you applied this update?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone rooted install this? Can you confirm root is broken?

DoctorV
, right above your post, updated and was using Forever Root. Whether he's still rooted, I don't know. I could swear I saw a post early in this thread that said they were rooted and did the update, but it seems to have been deleted (at any rate I can't find it).

darkstarchuck (earlier in this thread) said, "This is the big question. A guy over at Rootzwiki says it won't maintain root, says a key file has been changed."

Here is a howto that you can follow to get to 5.7.894

Leaked 5.7.893 Full update (.886 --> .893) - Android Forums

The instructions there are different:

1. You'll need to boot into stock recovery:
  2. Power off phone
  3. With phone powered off, press and hold Vol Up AND Vol Down
  4. Press the Power button
  5. In the menu select Recovery
  6. At the triangle, press BOTH Vol Up and Vol Down
  7. Move down (vol down) to install update from .ZIP
  8. Use Power button to select
  9. Select file
Not just having it find the update. Interesting.

Last edited:

jeremym

Reaction score

DoctorV
, right above your post, updated and was using Forever Root. Whether he's still rooted, I don't know. I could swear I saw a post early in this thread that said they were rooted and did the update, but it seems to have been deleted (at any rate I can't find it).

darkstarchuck said (earlier in this thread), "This is the big question. A guy over at Rootzwiki says it won't maintain root, says a key file has been changed."

The instructions there are different:

1. You'll need to boot into stock recovery:
  2. Power off phone
  3. With phone powered off, press and hold Vol Up AND Vol Down
  4. Press the Power button
  5. In the menu select Recovery
  6. At the triangle, press BOTH Vol Up and Vol Down
  7. Move down (vol down) to install update from .ZIP
  8. Use Power button to select
  9. Select file
Not just having it find the update. Interesting.

This is how i used to have to patch my OG droid with leaked official roms.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
What version did the Bionic ship with, and what version is truly the update? Thanks!