Here is something very interesting and serious

micp1480

Reaction score
I have thought about this, and I am hoping others have as well. I have come from the original Droid to Droid 2. On my original Droid it was much easier to add ROM's and Kernel's, but not as easy with the Droid 2 from which I can see. When I got myself into trouble with a ROM or Kernel on my original Droid, all I would do is just reboot the phone and hold down the power button and the X button, and I would go directly into ClockworkMod, and then do a restore. On my Droid 2, if my phone decides not to reboot into the main screen after installing a ROM or Kernel, I am not going to be able to get to the Droid 2 Bootstrap program that is my portal to the ClockworkMod Recovery. I see a major headache here. Can anyone shed some light here? Thanks.

MICP1480

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This is due to the locked bootloader. Know the risks and proceed accordingly is all we can say. It doesn't look like the bootloader will be cracked anytime soon, if ever so be careful.

Sent from somewhere...

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
However there SHOULD be a way in to cm recovery if you bootstrap recovery. My undrstanding is there is a script written in to the boot process where if you don't fully boot up it will force the phone in to cm recovery the next time it tries to boot normally. I have almost always been able to get in to cm from the phone being off, but it may take a few tries.

tappin and a talkin

ultima

Reaction score
However there SHOULD be a way in to cm recovery if you bootstrap recovery. My undrstanding is there is a script written in to the boot process where if you don't fully boot up it will force the phone in to cm recovery the next time it tries to boot normally. I have almost always been able to get in to cm from the phone being off, but it may take a few tries.

tappin and a talkin

not sure, but are you talking about the battery pull?

when you boot the phone up, @ the boot logo screen (the M) its a point where the screen dims. pull the battery at that point then reboot. u may have to try a couple times if u dont get it the 1st time

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes that's one of the ways to do it. Or you can boot in to stock recovery and pull the battery and then boot back in to recovery and reboot, and it may or may not go in to cm recovery. Or you can pull the battery and while the phone is off plug it in to a wall charger and when the battery charging icon comes up pull the battery again and try to boot normally, according to koush's website all that really needs to happen for the script to insert itself is for the phone to fail to boot entirely.

tappin and a talkin

microsnook

Reaction score
I agree w/ the OP. But unfortunately there isnt much we can do.

trook

Reaction score
I have thought about this, and I am hoping others have as well. I have come from the original Droid to Droid 2. On my original Droid it was much easier to add ROM's and Kernel's, but not as easy with the Droid 2 from which I can see. When I got myself into trouble with a ROM or Kernel on my original Droid, all I would do is just reboot the phone and hold down the power button and the X button, and I would go directly into ClockworkMod, and then do a restore. On my Droid 2, if my phone decides not to reboot into the main screen after installing a ROM or Kernel, I am not going to be able to get to the Droid 2 Bootstrap program that is my portal to the ClockworkMod Recovery. I see a major headache here. Can anyone shed some light here? Thanks.

MICP1480

Trust me, after a few soft bricks, you will become a master at navigating stock and clockwork recovery, sbf, and everything else that goes along with hacking a droid 2. Its incovenient at times but you WILL know exactly what to do with any issue that arises with a little practice. I agree its a headache, but to me its better than stock.

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulling the battery out when the M dims, sent me into CM recovery. This is why it's important to join forums like this. Very nice important piece of information presented here.

MICP1480

kevyo

Reaction score
I stumbled across this workaround the very first night I got the Droid 2 and rooted. I can't remember what I did, but I know that I'd deleted both cache and data, thinking the "Power + X" method would get me back to CW recovery (I came from the OGD).

I got this sort of scaled down version of recovery where all I could do was delete data and cache and reboot. I could NOT install from a zip. I went to bed that night thinking all was lost, and I'd keep doing the "Power + X" method" after pulling the battery. At one point, I decided to see what would happen if I let it boot up past the "M" screen, and luckily for me, it booted to CW Recovery! I was then able to install a ROM I thankfully had on my SD card, and was able to get to a point where I could create a nandroid backup.

So yes, I can confirm too, that pulling the battery and rebooting does get to CW Recovery.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulling the battery out when the M dims, sent me into CM recovery. This is why it's important to join forums like this. Very nice important piece of information presented here.

MICP1480

pkbest

Reaction score
Trust me, after a few soft bricks, you will become a master at navigating stock and clockwork recovery, sbf, and everything else that goes along with hacking a droid 2. Its incovenient at times but you WILL know exactly what to do with any issue that arises with a little practice. I agree its a headache, but to me its better than stock.

Shoot.. only took me once and I remembered everything... I wasn't forgetting how to unbrick it again! lol..

It does suck that its not like the D1. Unfortunately, no one is able to hack that stock boot loader.... YET. I have a feeling it will happen soon enough..

jimberg

Reaction score
Is a nandroid backup the same as backing up rom via clockwork or rom manager? That's my last question before flashing squidly... thanks ppl.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jimberg

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answer. Helpful community here!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App