Help. Need to restore my phone but Razr Utility is only giving me error errors

diversmitty

Reaction score
Ok, I'm somewhat new to a rooted phone and I screed up and deleted a fefw programs that have really messed up my phone. Now I am trying to restore it using the Razr utility program option 1. I did exactly what it told me to do... I got into AP Fast Boot, I connected my USB cord to computer and hit enter... Then It popped up an error message saying something along the lines of aborting or failure to load etc and said to hit any key then another error message then hit any key promt came up again and it gave me yet another error message..... I am lost!!!! What am I doing wrong? It is the newest utility release.

Can someone please help me out, I have been going rounds trying to get this phone restored back to the way it was before I messed it up.... A good step by step could really help me out here. It acts like I am missing a special step somewhere along the way.

Thanks for any help.....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Make sure your phone is first set up in USB Debugging (Menu, Settings, Applications, Development, check USB Debugging). Then you have to put the phone into Fastboot by powering off, then powering on and immediately after you see the red M logo, pours and hold both volume buttons together. You should but to the Boot Mode Selection Menu. Fastboot is Selection on the list. Scroll down with the Volume Down Burton, then select Fastboot with the Volume Up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Edit...wow! Lots of errors here. I must have been falling asleep!

So, as JP corrected (below), it's power off, then hold all three buttons (Power, Volume Up and Volume Down), then you boot to the Boot Mode Selection Menu (white letters, black background). From there the rest is technically correct, although my spelling was suffering terribly ("pours" instead of "press", "Burton" instead of "Button")!

Last edited:
OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
I have phone in debugging mode, but when I put it into fastboot I held all 3 buttons the after it flashed I released the power button and was still holding vol buttons.... I thought that method woud be ok but I will wait until the red M comes up then hold the vol buttons. maybe that was the issue, I will try it tomorrow and let you know what happens....

thanks for a fast response, hopefully this will work.

1 question though, if this method does work for me and it restores the stock rom on the phone I will have to re-root my phone and reinstall my CWM and Safestrap won't I?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have phone in debugging mode, but when I put it into fastboot I held all 3 buttons the after it flashed I released the power button and was still holding vol buttons.... I thought that method woud be ok but I will wait until the red M comes up then hold the vol buttons. maybe that was the issue, I will try it tomorrow and let you know what happens....

thanks for a fast response, hopefully this will work.

1 question though, if this method does work for me and it restores the stock rom on the phone I will have to re-root my phone and reinstall my CWM and Safestrap won't I?
Yes, you will. You will have to root first before CWM and Safestrap will work. You can root. The method I use to get into AP Fastboot is: Power the phone off. Hold down the power button and the volume up and down buttons and let the phone boot to a black screen with white lettering. Then scroll down to AP Fastboot using the volume down button and select AP Fastboot using the volume up bottom. Make sure your phone is in charge only and USB Debugging is selected.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, you will. You will have to root first before CWM and Safestrap will work. You can root. The method I use to get into AP Fastboot is: Power the phone off. Hold down the power button and the volume up and down buttons and let the phone boot to a black screen with white lettering. Then scroll down to AP Fastboot using the volume down button and select AP Fastboot using the volume up bottom. Make sure your phone is in charge only and USB Debugging is selected.

Yes, JP, I blew it! I gave directions to boot to Safe Mode (difference is Power first, then both Volume buttons) instead of Boot Mode Selection Menu (Power and both Volume buttons all at once). I got the two confused in my mind. Thanks for being there and sweeping up after me. :hail:

Last edited:
OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
Got it... I figured it out.... aparently one of my dogs decided to use the cord as a chew toy so I had to use my other cord... Anyways I got it all working reflashed my rom and up and runing... Got a question though..... I used the Utility 6.1 to do everything including the root and installed safestrap on my phone but after I got everything installed and set up the way I had it before I tried to boot it into safestrap and it locks up with a blank screen and only shows the safestrap logo in center and then I have to reboot the phone... I can't get into my CWM.... So what is going on here? should I try to sideload Safestrap from my computer or what?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Got it... I figured it out.... aparently one of my dogs decided to use the cord as a chew toy so I had to use my other cord... Anyways I got it all working reflashed my rom and up and runing... Got a question though..... I used the Utility 6.1 to do everything including the root and installed safestrap on my phone but after I got everything installed and set up the way I had it before I tried to boot it into safestrap and it locks up with a blank screen and only shows the safestrap logo in center and then I have to reboot the phone... I can't get into my CWM.... So what is going on here? should I try to sideload Safestrap from my computer or what?

I've heard bad things about Safestrap, and Bootstrap is now again preferred. If I were you, I'd reflash back to stock again and install Bootstrap instead. The only benefit to Safestrap is the ability to revert to the known good system but that can also be done by simply flashing Fastboot again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
I've heard bad things about Safestrap, and Bootstrap is now again preferred. If I were you, I'd reflash back to stock again and install Bootstrap instead. The only benefit to Safestrap is the ability to revert to the known good system but that can also be done by simply flashing Fastboot again.

DOH...... I wish I had seen this before I did that..... Ok so here I am now.... I know that safestrap and bootstrap can't be on the phone at the same time due to the issues it causes... can I just remove the safestrap app and it will be all good then I can install bootstrap? I have only used the safestrap so I am not familiar with bootstrap at all...

OP
D

diversmitty

Reaction score
Well something crazy just happened and safestrap is now working.... I dunno what I did exactly to repair it but I went into Root Explorer and clicked on the app and clicked intall and it installed and now it works..... So on that note what "bad things" have you heard about safestrap?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well something crazy just happened and safestrap is now working.... I dunno what I did exactly to repair it but I went into Root Explorer and clicked on the app and clicked intall and it installed and now it works..... So on that note what "bad things" have you heard about safestrap?

Well, I don't remember specifics, but I do know many times it involves getting stuck in a non-functioning state, such as what you experienced. I also know that the advice given by others in those situations was to dump Safestrap and go back to Bootstrap. That's all I know. I'm sure if you went onto our hacks forum and inquired of the problems with Safestrap they would respond.

Also, I tried it several months ago, even before the bad reports, but I wasn't able to get it working properly. I opted to re-flash and start over with Bootstrap again and never looked back.

Good luck! :)

Last edited: