1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help me choose a new Verizon Motorola Android Phone

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by OfficeLinebacker, Apr 28, 2012.

1. OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker New Member

Hi, my contract is about to be up in early May and I'm starting to research replacements for my DROID X. I have rooted it but the only thing I've used it for is wireless tethering in rare circumstances where I didn't have internet and needed to look stuff up on my laptop. The main things I use the phone for is as a phone, Google Nav (best thing about Android IMO), a couple email accounts, and apps like Yelp, Facebook, Google Docs, etc. I built a little kind of ghetto mounting plate on my dashboard so I guess it would be nice if the design allows for fairly easy attachment of velcro tabs on the back of it.

The main complaint I have about the X is that the internet speeds seem pretty slow. Like slower now than they were initially--a colleague of mine told me if they see lots of data usage on an unlimited account that they'll throttle it. The other thing she told me is that if I already have the unlimited data plan, I can keep it even though I'm upgrading and signing a new contract.

So, any tips? I have my eye on the DROID 4 and the DROID Bionic.

I'm sure people will chime in on tips about the upgrade/renew process itself so those comments are appreciated as well.

Thanks.
  2. olorolo

olorolo New Member

Both of the choices you made are good phones but the only problem with them are lack of devs. It seems for a equally nice phone the razor or max has more devs which means more roms and tweaks. I have the d3 its not getting the official ICS update but I believe the razor is or did already, just saying that you need to make sure the provider isn't going to abandon your model when you do choose!

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
  3. rherron

rherron New Member

RAZR if you want a good deal. RAZR Max if you want to pay a bit more for a little extra battery life. My experience with the RAZR has been positive with regard to battery life (and everything else really).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Droid Forums
  4. electricman58

electricman58 New Member

I Love my Bionic so much my girlfriend said its me or the phone.....Guess you can see what I sent this on!!! LOL ;-)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  5. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

I think the Rezound might be a good choice for you. Check out the forum here, lots of development and no locked bootloader issues like you will see with the RAZR and Bionic. Having to use rootkeeper to avoid losing root when you get updates is just a pain, and I think it's just going to get worse and worse as time goes on. Apparently VZ and Moto are making a push for Moto to be their ultra-stable/business side of the Android platform and making development less and less accessable accordingly.

Read up a bit before you make your decision, but that's my .02. I won't be buying another Motorola device anytime soon.
  6. rpdonald

rpdonald New Member

RAZR Maxx. Period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums
  7. Minahan1

Minahan1 New Member

I have looked at the newest phones and up coming changes to do the same thing. I believe the RAZR Maxx is the best overall phone.
    Just my opinion.
    Right now I am using Droid X2
  8. huskur

huskur New Member

The Razr/Maxx was not even in his list? He said he has his eyes on the Droid 4 and Bionic. (though I am also partial since I would also suggest the Maxx) Between the 2 you have listed I would go with the Bionic. D4 still has bad battery life. Battery life on the Bionic is better than the D4. I had the D4 and ditched it for the Razr Maxx. I needed the all day (plus) battery. At least with the Bionic you have a choice of having an additional battery or the extended battery. With the D4 you to find power alot or carry a power pack. To me that was unacceptable. The Bionic should get you through the day especially seeing what you said you use the phone for. Also the Bionic is easy to root for your wireless tether. Though you don't need root at this point since the app "foxfi" is still in the market and works well. Your use is just like mine. If foxfi stops working then I will root my maxx. Just my opinion. Hope it helps

My wife has the Bionic that is why I can offer a fairly good opinion on that phone. If the Maxx wasn't our the Bionic would have been my choice. (Razr battery life wouldn't cut it for me either)
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. OfficeLinebacker

I'm cool with suggestions. I just looked at the processor specs for the RAZR Maxx vs the RAZR--both have 1.2GHz Dual Core processor and both have 16GB of internal memory--so what's the extra $200 for with the RAZR? Extended battery life? I have a car charger and charge the phone all day at work--no need for super long battery life.

As far as the rooting, I have a DROID X--I have to un-root it and re-enable all the stock apps just to update it. Then I have to re-root it and re-do that thing where I rename all the stupid apps that come with the phone. You're saying new technology exists called rootkeeper that makes the process easier? WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Lol.

Not to say I don't appreciate ALL the comments and advice. I'm definitely not getting a DROID 4 now.

Another question--so the 4G access doesn't require an upgrade to the plan, right?
  10. mwc5851

mwc5851 New Member

Thanks for starting this thread.
    I'm on the original Droid and been on month to month.
    I too am looking at the Droid 4, but, was waiting on ICS.

Once you get it, reply back and let us know your thoughts on the battery life.
    My original Droid gives me about 12-15 hours on one full charge.
  11. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

The only difference between the Razr and Razr Maxx is the battery. Mind you, it's a big one, but that's it.
  12. huskur

huskur New Member

4G does not require a plan change. As long as you don't change plans then you keep your unlimited data. Just upgrading devices doesn't change anything
  13. OfficeLinebacker

Thanks for the clarification. I'm definitely leaning toward the RAZR. I can't see paying triple just for more battery life. Or did Motorola intentionally make a device with a weak battery so that they could release a "new and improved" version for $200 more?
  14. Spydaz

Spydaz New Member

RAZR MAXX! Look no further. You will be able to get it for $249.99 just tell best buy you have a discount if you buy from verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  15. wanta99gtr

wanta99gtr New Member

IMO the Bionic is the perfect upgrade from from the X. If you get an extended battery turn the 4g off it lasts all day no problems. Plus to me it actually feels better in the hand with the bigger battery. The screen is gorgeous in comparison also.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  16. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

Loved my droid x and still do (even though it is now my daughter's phone). If you love the X, the razr is the best way to go. Either vanilla or maxx but I personally would not spend the extra cash for a big battery. My razr easily lasts all day so why would I need one that lasts 2?

When the Bionic released I picked it up and used it for about ten days before I gave it back because it just didn't feel like a good enough upgrade. I still felt the X was a better phone. Then a month or two later, I decided to try it again but it just underwhelmed me...and it wasn't enough to get me to retire my x.

With that said, when the razr released I picked it up and never looked back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  17. rherron

rherron New Member

I doubt it was intentional. The battery life of the RAZR when it first came out wasn't the best. Because you cannot remove the battery, there is no way to carry a charged-up spare "just in case." People who don't even have the device b*%^#%* about it. So they made a slightly thicker phone (it's still very thin) that has a longer-lasting battery. In my experience, especially now that there have been a couple of updates, the battery on the RAZR is absolutely fine (and I don't ever take it off of 4G and I don't use Smart Actions). I use my phone a fair amount, though I am certain people here use theirs more than I use mine. I work in an office. I have a charger in the car. If I ever had to charge the phone during the day (I don't) it wouldn't be an issue. I like it so much I just ordered one for my wife as an upgrade from the Pro. I just couldn't see spending the extra money for the Maxx. The RAZR is $99 right now. I paid considerably more for mine. :)
  18. bens42608

bens42608 New Member

The razr is just $99 if u renew ur contract, correct? For $100 I wouldn't mind getting one just to play with but I don't wanna use my upgrade on it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  19. rherron

rherron New Member

I got a slightly early upgrade for my wife. Couldn't say if you can get it for $99 by renewing w/o using an upgrade.
  20. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

1) You absolutely need rootkeeper as of now to have root as these new updates come out. It's great that you don't have to worry about losing root, but if you forget to use rootkeeper beforehand you'll be out of luck until someone gets their hands on the right files from VZ. As I said, Moto and VZ are making it harder and harder to mod their phones, and I have no intention of jumping on that bandwagon, but to each his own.

2) No, 4G access doesn't require a new plan. If you have unlimited data or whatever that you want to keep you simply extend what you have for two more years and get the contract price.
Search tags for this page

best verizon android phone

easiest phones for
newest motorola phone
olorolo
what kind of smartphone would you choose and why the choices