Help me choose a new Verizon Motorola Android Phone

Reaction score
Hi, my contract is about to be up in early May and I'm starting to research replacements for my DROID X. I have rooted it but the only thing I've used it for is wireless tethering in rare circumstances where I didn't have internet and needed to look stuff up on my laptop. The main things I use the phone for is as a phone, Google Nav (best thing about Android IMO), a couple email accounts, and apps like Yelp, Facebook, Google Docs, etc. I built a little kind of ghetto mounting plate on my dashboard so I guess it would be nice if the design allows for fairly easy attachment of velcro tabs on the back of it.

The main complaint I have about the X is that the internet speeds seem pretty slow. Like slower now than they were initially--a colleague of mine told me if they see lots of data usage on an unlimited account that they'll throttle it. The other thing she told me is that if I already have the unlimited data plan, I can keep it even though I'm upgrading and signing a new contract.

So, any tips? I have my eye on the DROID 4 and the DROID Bionic.

I'm sure people will chime in on tips about the upgrade/renew process itself so those comments are appreciated as well.

Thanks.

olorolo

Reaction score
Both of the choices you made are good phones but the only problem with them are lack of devs. It seems for a equally nice phone the razor or max has more devs which means more roms and tweaks. I have the d3 its not getting the official ICS update but I believe the razor is or did already, just saying that you need to make sure the provider isn't going to abandon your model when you do choose!

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

rherron

Reaction score
RAZR if you want a good deal. RAZR Max if you want to pay a bit more for a little extra battery life. My experience with the RAZR has been positive with regard to battery life (and everything else really).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Droid Forums

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
I Love my Bionic so much my girlfriend said its me or the phone.....Guess you can see what I sent this on!!! LOL ;-)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the Rezound might be a good choice for you. Check out the forum here, lots of development and no locked bootloader issues like you will see with the RAZR and Bionic. Having to use rootkeeper to avoid losing root when you get updates is just a pain, and I think it's just going to get worse and worse as time goes on. Apparently VZ and Moto are making a push for Moto to be their ultra-stable/business side of the Android platform and making development less and less accessable accordingly.

Read up a bit before you make your decision, but that's my .02. I won't be buying another Motorola device anytime soon.

rpdonald

Reaction score
RAZR Maxx. Period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Minahan1

Reaction score
I have looked at the newest phones and up coming changes to do the same thing. I believe the RAZR Maxx is the best overall phone.
Just my opinion.
Right now I am using Droid X2

huskur

Reaction score
The Razr/Maxx was not even in his list? He said he has his eyes on the Droid 4 and Bionic. (though I am also partial since I would also suggest the Maxx) Between the 2 you have listed I would go with the Bionic. D4 still has bad battery life. Battery life on the Bionic is better than the D4. I had the D4 and ditched it for the Razr Maxx. I needed the all day (plus) battery. At least with the Bionic you have a choice of having an additional battery or the extended battery. With the D4 you to find power alot or carry a power pack. To me that was unacceptable. The Bionic should get you through the day especially seeing what you said you use the phone for. Also the Bionic is easy to root for your wireless tether. Though you don't need root at this point since the app "foxfi" is still in the market and works well. Your use is just like mine. If foxfi stops working then I will root my maxx. Just my opinion. Hope it helps

My wife has the Bionic that is why I can offer a fairly good opinion on that phone. If the Maxx wasn't our the Bionic would have been my choice. (Razr battery life wouldn't cut it for me either)

Last edited:
OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
I'm cool with suggestions. I just looked at the processor specs for the RAZR Maxx vs the RAZR--both have 1.2GHz Dual Core processor and both have 16GB of internal memory--so what's the extra $200 for with the RAZR? Extended battery life? I have a car charger and charge the phone all day at work--no need for super long battery life.

As far as the rooting, I have a DROID X--I have to un-root it and re-enable all the stock apps just to update it. Then I have to re-root it and re-do that thing where I rename all the stupid apps that come with the phone. You're saying new technology exists called rootkeeper that makes the process easier? WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Lol.

Not to say I don't appreciate ALL the comments and advice. I'm definitely not getting a DROID 4 now.

Another question--so the 4G access doesn't require an upgrade to the plan, right?

mwc5851

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread.
I'm on the original Droid and been on month to month.
I too am looking at the Droid 4, but, was waiting on ICS.

Once you get it, reply back and let us know your thoughts on the battery life.
My original Droid gives me about 12-15 hours on one full charge.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm cool with suggestions. I just looked at the processor specs for the RAZR Maxx vs the RAZR--both have 1.2GHz Dual Core processor and both have 16GB of internal memory--so what's the extra $200 for with the RAZR? Extended battery life? I have a car charger and charge the phone all day at work--no need for super long battery life.

As far as the rooting, I have a DROID X--I have to un-root it and re-enable all the stock apps just to update it. Then I have to re-root it and re-do that thing where I rename all the stupid apps that come with the phone. You're saying new technology exists called rootkeeper that makes the process easier? WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Lol.

Not to say I don't appreciate ALL the comments and advice. I'm definitely not getting a DROID 4 now.

Another question--so the 4G access doesn't require an upgrade to the plan, right?

The only difference between the Razr and Razr Maxx is the battery. Mind you, it's a big one, but that's it.

huskur

Reaction score

4G does not require a plan change. As long as you don't change plans then you keep your unlimited data. Just upgrading devices doesn't change anything

OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I'm definitely leaning toward the RAZR. I can't see paying triple just for more battery life. Or did Motorola intentionally make a device with a weak battery so that they could release a "new and improved" version for $200 more?

Spydaz

Reaction score
RAZR MAXX! Look no further. You will be able to get it for $249.99 just tell best buy you have a discount if you buy from verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wanta99gtr

Reaction score
IMO the Bionic is the perfect upgrade from from the X. If you get an extended battery turn the 4g off it lasts all day no problems. Plus to me it actually feels better in the hand with the bigger battery. The screen is gorgeous in comparison also.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums