1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

VZW Account - Lose Unlimited?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by LtKen, Jan 5, 2012.

1. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I'm in an online argument with someone, and I need a little help. (Yes, insert XKCD comic about someone on the internet being wrong).

He's trying to convince me that we're all going to lose our grandfathered unlimited plans. He claims a VZW rep told him that he would lose his unlimited plan as soon as his original contract expires, and he'll be dropped back to the tiered plan. He claims he knows someone who got a letter in their bill stating just that.

I'm trying to convince him he's wrong, and that we're all grandfathered in to unlimited for the entire terms of our contract renewal. If VZW were to do this, I feel like I'd hear about it here, on top of that, there are plenty of people who would cry foul -- since we all know you cant change the terms of a contract in the middle of a contracting period.

Anyone hear anything like this?
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

He is correct, if you change plans. But technically your contract doesn't "expire", you're just no longer locked-in or committed. The contract itself is an open-ended term, but when you first sign-up you have a penalty for breaking it inside of 24 months.
  3. korp

korp New Member

Don't activate a non smartphone and you should be fine. Minute plans are different from the data being a feature so you should be fine.
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

That's my understanding -- as long as you go from smartphone to smartphone, you keep your unlimited forever (for the time being)
  5. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

Yup, if you go from data phone to data phone you will be grandfathered into an unlimited plan. If this person insists they're right leave them be, it's less stressful
  6. sharpz

sharpz New Member

Just speaking from personal experience. I recently left my parents company plan and opened my own account. I was told by the Verizon employee that I would keep my unlimited data because I was not starting a new contract just creating my own account. After I switched the next day I found out I was on a 4gb plan and rose hell. They originally told me I was basically out of luck and nothing they could do. After raising more hell they finally gave it back. So be careful, they definitely want people off of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  7. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

"claims he knows someone who......"
    Pictures or it didn't happen is what I'd tell your buddy. A third party verbal rumor is worth no more than the paper it is printed on.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk
  8. wolstonc

wolstonc New Member

When I was working for vzw we unveiled the tiered and the company carefully worded it as when you upgraded you would be grandfathered in "for now." Basically, they won't take you off in the middle of your contract, but I believe eventually they will require you to go to tiered to upgrade and sign a new contract, and I believe this time will come later this year when they unveil the family shared data plans where everyone shares out of a large pool of gbs similar to how minutes are right nowv

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  9. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

Congrats?
  10. rck76

rck76 Super Moderator Premium Member

It was a spammer, that same line is in post #6 of this thread.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  11. kparks

kparks Active Member

Well if they do there losing my 260$ monthly bill.. cuz i use a average of 8gb to 9gb a month. Watching netflix and streaming pandora all the time and measing around on forums. I think that whole 2gb average is straight b's anyway..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  12. densetsu86

densetsu86 New Member

Thats cause you were given bad info so the agent could get the sale. Any changes to your plan and you lose unlimited. The only thing that can be carried over is your phone #. Went through the same problem (sorta the agents either didn't want to split my line or where just plain retarded cause i had no problem at an authorized retail store when a branch store couldn't do it.

You where making your own plan (just like you were do if you never set up an account at verizon) kept your phone # and then they deleted the line from your parents. So yes you signed up for a verizon account after the unlimited promo ended. And you got lucky as hell that they honored it even after giving them hell.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  13. googlelover

googlelover New Member

People, as long as you stay on your current line, on your current account, with a smartphone and you don't touch your data plan you will keep your data plan for as long as Verizon lets us, the DAY we hear even a RUMOR of them deciding to take grandfathered unlimited accounts out you will see it not only on Droid websites, but plastered in the news EVERYWHERE.
    Also, you can upgrade your phone and sign a "new" contract and keep unlimited data, you can change your minutes, texting, pretty much anything else about your plan except your data and it will not effect it.
    Your friend, and a few others here, for some reason think that unlimited data is somehow tied into your contract, if that was true, then why could I switch my sisters Droid to a dumbphone in the middle of her contract period with no repercussions? Features in your plan are not tied to your contract, your contract is simply to keep you with Verizon for 2 years because they subsidized a phone for you.
  14. smam61

smam61 New Member

This was my case

I switched from a smartphone to another smartphone (crack berry to Droid 3) my plan did NOT change even tho the change took place after VZWwent to the tiered levels
  15. googlelover

googlelover New Member

You just agreed with his post...?
  16. Red Droid

Red Droid New Member

Grandfathered unlimited data: I had a 3G pcmcia air card from the old 128kbps days just before the switch to 3G. It was started on an unlimited data contract, long before the 5GB caps were put into place. VZW always honored my true unlimited on that line, even through upgrades to a usb aircard after the 5GB cap was placed. Usually ran about 12GB every month.

I bought my first 4G phone with unlimited data in April 2012 and used the free hotspot until July 7th when I added the Unlimited Hotspot package to that line, data usually running 15+GB every month.

I upgraded my Droid X (unlimited 3G phone data, no hotspot) to a Bionic about 3 weeks ago. I kept the unlimited data, it converted to a 4G Unlimited plan with no problem. 3 days later I called VZW and added the unlimited hotspot to this former 3G account, no problem....and finally let my old 3G aircard go.

VZW doesn't seem to be causing the original 4G adopters any problems about their unlimited plans. They are allowing the older 3G unlimited plans to update to 4G unlimited plans as they said would happen.

Based on my previous experience with the aircard, I have no reason to doubt that once on unlimited we'll be grandfathered from here on out.
  17. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I moved to an (unlimited) 4G contract a couple of days before my old contract expired. As of right now, my original contract would have been expired for 4 months. And I still have unlimited data.

The VZW rep didn't know what they were talking about. What a surprise.
  18. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

To the person who took their line off their parents plan, that's called "Assumption of Liability" or at VZW known as "AOL". You are assuming responsibility for the line(s) and nothing else. The contract does not change, so if you had unlimited on your parents plan, then since you did the AOL, nothing should have changed, that's why it was changed back.

If you are on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you are good to go, just don't put a non-smartphone on your line ever again, or you will go to tiered data.
  19. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Member

Just to type....if you get a phone w/Best Buy online, they don't give you the option to keep your unlimited

SO....just call Verizon before you do anything and they'll note your account

I did that last night. I could sleep better knowing I wasn't going to lose it...
  20. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have unlimited and also already have a smartphone, upgrading to another smartphone, whether through Best Buy or another retailer should not have changed you to tiered data pricing.
Search tags for this page
assumption of liability
assumption of liability unlimited data

assumption of liability verizon

assumption of liability verizon number lost unlimited data
assumption of liability verizon unlimited data
assumption of liability verizon unlimited data 2013
asumption of liabilty lose unlimoted data
does an assumption of liability lose unlimited data
losing unlimited data assumption of liability
verionz aol transfer lost unlimited data

verizon assumption of liability