Help me choose a new Verizon Motorola Android Phone

Reaction score
Loved my droid x and still do (even though it is now my daughter's phone). If you love the X, the razr is the best way to go. Either vanilla or maxx but I personally would not spend the extra cash for a big battery. My razr easily lasts all day so why would I need one that lasts 2?

When the Bionic released I picked it up and used it for about ten days before I gave it back because it just didn't feel like a good enough upgrade. I still felt the X was a better phone. Then a month or two later, I decided to try it again but it just underwhelmed me...and it wasn't enough to get me to retire my x.

With that said, when the razr released I picked it up and never looked back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

rherron

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I'm definitely leaning toward the RAZR. I can't see paying triple just for more battery life. Or did Motorola intentionally make a device with a weak battery so that they could release a "new and improved" version for $200 more?

I doubt it was intentional. The battery life of the RAZR when it first came out wasn't the best. Because you cannot remove the battery, there is no way to carry a charged-up spare "just in case." People who don't even have the device b*%^#%* about it. So they made a slightly thicker phone (it's still very thin) that has a longer-lasting battery. In my experience, especially now that there have been a couple of updates, the battery on the RAZR is absolutely fine (and I don't ever take it off of 4G and I don't use Smart Actions). I use my phone a fair amount, though I am certain people here use theirs more than I use mine. I work in an office. I have a charger in the car. If I ever had to charge the phone during the day (I don't) it wouldn't be an issue. I like it so much I just ordered one for my wife as an upgrade from the Pro. I just couldn't see spending the extra money for the Maxx. The RAZR is $99 right now. I paid considerably more for mine. :)

B

bens42608

The razr is just $99 if u renew ur contract, correct? For $100 I wouldn't mind getting one just to play with but I don't wanna use my upgrade on it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rherron

Reaction score
I got a slightly early upgrade for my wife. Couldn't say if you can get it for $99 by renewing w/o using an upgrade.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're saying new technology exists called rootkeeper that makes the process easier? WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Lol.

Not to say I don't appreciate ALL the comments and advice. I'm definitely not getting a DROID 4 now.

Another question--so the 4G access doesn't require an upgrade to the plan, right?

1) You absolutely need rootkeeper as of now to have root as these new updates come out. It's great that you don't have to worry about losing root, but if you forget to use rootkeeper beforehand you'll be out of luck until someone gets their hands on the right files from VZ. As I said, Moto and VZ are making it harder and harder to mod their phones, and I have no intention of jumping on that bandwagon, but to each his own.

2) No, 4G access doesn't require a new plan. If you have unlimited data or whatever that you want to keep you simply extend what you have for two more years and get the contract price.

OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread.

You're welcome!

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm leaning toward the regular RAZR.

What's the deal with battery replacement on that though? Is it like an iPhone, possible but you need tools, or what?

r314bd

Reaction score
I'm definitely leaning toward the RAZR. I can't see paying triple just for more battery life.
Well just FYI if you buy from Amazon Wireless or Wirefly, the RAZR MAXX upgrade price is only $229.99
did Motorola intentionally make a device with a weak battery so that they could release a "new and improved" version for $200 more?
That's exactly what they did.
What's the deal with battery replacement on that though? Is it like an iPhone, possible but you need tools, or what?
It's not particularly difficult...you'll need a thin tool of some kind to pry off the back cover and you'll have to remove a couple contact screws once inside but that's it.

osirhis

Reaction score
If we are only talking Verizon phones, I think the only real choices are the Razr, Maxx, and the GNex. Personally, I would wait and see if the Galaxy S3 is going to come out on Verizon... That phone is going to be sick!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Motorola? Eww!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

olorolo

Reaction score
The Rezound is pretty nice also and its not stinkymoto either

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

diablo81588

Reaction score
The Rezound is pretty nice also and its not stinkymoto either

The Rezound is a brick and has terrible battery life. Thread bump.. lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

olorolo

Reaction score
The Rezound is a brick and has terrible battery life. Thread bump.. lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Well how would you know about the battery unless you have one? It has an unlocked bootloader so if you don't like the stock battery life then change the kernel and Rom like everybody else with good sense.