Have we bought a lie? do we really need a screen protector?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Big Cam

Reaction score
Opinions are like A......

Seriously, everyone has an opinon and a story of how their phone got scratched.

I bought the Sterhi Crystal or whatever it's called, I fudged up the first one and got the second one on ok, that lasted like 5 days, then dust got under it and I tor it off.

I'm happier now than I was with the screen protector. My thoughts are you bought an expensive phone ($500+ retail, I know no one paid that), so treat it like one, be careful, don't have anything else in the pocket that has your phone, and you'll be ok. I use my droid alot, and there is not a scratch in site, becasue all that touches the screen is my finger or my shirt to clean it.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
No screen protector for me, pocketed every day, no scratches. I will not that there are no loose diamonds in my pockets though :)

Metal bezel around the screen has a few scratches which to me shows how durable the screen is. I do my best to take it easy on the phone but the thing weighs a ton so it does get a short drop occasionally.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Mines been naked since 11/11....not a mark on it :D

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I have had two that were scratched ... the first one had a minor ding but the second was scratched on the day I got it while I was on my way to Best Buy to purchase the InvisaSheild thing ... from a gum wrapper in my hoodie.
Didn't take much at all to scratch either one ... these are both Droids that were replaced for bad sensors so maybe that had something to do with it although it seems unlikely. I'm keeping my screen protected to be safe. Here is one thread that we discussed it:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/12965-steinheil-crystal.html

Sorry. You cannot scratch a Droid with a gum wrapper. Glass, specially alligator glass does not scratch that easy. I suggest it was done some other way.

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8[/video]

this video is hilarious.
just solidifies my hyspothesis- just a cover to protect the paint, screen is fine.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The glass is hard to scratch with some materials, like keys in the video, but scratches easily with some sand. I went without a screen protector for weeks and only have one very hard to see, very fine scratch. I put a screen protector back on after noticing it.

^+ yep, sand especially and other small silica particles will EASILY scratch your screen. Steel (as in steel key rings) as well. There been several confirmed reports of these two items particularly...

To all you that are buying into the 'Gorilla Glass' bs... is it nice, YES, it it indestructible, H3LL NO... like most glass products it will take abuse in certain conditions but hit it just so (like letting if fall and hit the corner of the device) and it WILL shatter... and it will scratch with many substances... Why do you think all the companies marketing videos only show it being stressed in very limited (and repeated) conditions...

I swear outside of Apple fanboys I've never seen people bye into marketing so much....

doubledroid

Reaction score
Tough on phones

do you know of anyone who scratched their touch screen because they didn't have a screen protector?

have we been sucked into believing a lie?
do we need this?

I am relatively tough on phones, and so far my unprotected screen droid is doing just fine - though it is using a Body Glove, which gives it a nice raised surface to provide some protection.

I have two droids, one is my work phone and one is personal. My personal phone I used the Body Glove, and I've had it a few weeks.

My work phone is brand new, and chose not to use a case - but I did use the Invisi-shield (applied last night). I chose not to use a case because I like the low profile, and the smooth surface slides in and out of my pocket (and cradle) better.

I will report back over time to compare and contrast the two screens.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The glass is hard to scratch with some materials, like keys in the video, but scratches easily with some sand. I went without a screen protector for weeks and only have one very hard to see, very fine scratch. I put a screen protector back on after noticing it.

^+ yep, sand especially and other small silica particles will EASILY scratch your screen. Steel (as in steel key rings) as well. There been several confirmed reports of these two items particularly...

To all you that are buying into the 'Gorilla Glass' bs... is it nice, YES, it it indestructible, H3LL NO... like most glass products it will take abuse in certain conditions but hit it just so (like letting if fall and hit the corner of the device) and it WILL shatter... and it will scratch with many substances... Why do you think all the companies marketing videos only show it being stressed in very limited (and repeated) conditions...

I swear outside of Apple fanboys I've never seen people bye into marketing so much....

The idea that Gorilla Glass is indestructible is certainly not true. I do find it hard to believe that a key ring would scratch it, my key ring bangs around it all the time, no scratches. And that probably wasn't steel keys in the video but certainly sharp enough to scratch it if it could easily scratch by metal.

I have heard about sand being able to scratch, that I tend to believe. Diamonds will also scratch it too, so when you decide to hide your wedding ring and if it has diamonds on it DO NOT put it in the same pocket as your Droid.:D

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Scratched my first Droid's screen that didn't have a screen protector on it.

Buy a screen protector if you want to protect the screen.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose there could have been sand deep in the pocket of the hoodie or some other material but the only thing inside the hoodie's pocket with the Droid was a crumpled up tiny gum wrapper and the screen protector that shipped with the Droid ... I literally opened the box, activated it and left the protector on it that came with it ... put it in my pocket and went to Best Buy ... so unless the screen protector or some tiny grain of sand or something else did it ... I assumed it must have been the foil wrapper ball. Either way, the OP asked if anyone had a scratched screen and I did X2. This one has had a protector on it every single minute since I've had it as well as a Uniqueskin on the back/sides and it's scratch-free all over. :)

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I have dropped mine twice onto a ceramic floor (both within 30 seconds, don't ask) and carry in my pocket. Still looks like new. No protection.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
'Gorilla Glass' ... is it indestructible?

The Titanic was unsinkable too !!! We all know what happened there !!!

Anything can be broken, scratched, smashed, sunk. It's just some materials are tougher than others. Nothing is indestructible, nothing !!! But there is always going to be something stronger that can do damage.

Now that taken in, I don't use a screen protector either on my DROID, I just apply a small amount of RainX every month or so. Helps make cleaning it easier. And lets my fingers glide across the screen. My first screen protector lasted a week, before I took it off. Never replaced it.

So in my Opinion, the Screen is TOUGH, but it can be damaged. Sand, can destroy just about anything, as can many other materials. So protect your DROIDs, I do Mine. :icon_ devil:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
'Gorilla Glass' ... is it indestructible?

The Titanic was unsinkable too !!! We all know what happened there !!!

Anything can be broken, scratched, smashed, sunk. It's just some materials are tougher than others. Nothing is indestructible, nothing !!! But there is always going to be something stronger that can do damage.

Now that taken in, I don't use a screen protector either on my DROID, I just apply a small amount of RainX every month or so. Helps make cleaning it easier. And lets my fingers glide across the screen. My first screen protector lasted a week, before I took it off. Never replaced it.

So in my Opinion, the Screen is TOUGH, but it can be damaged. Sand, can destroy just about anything, as can many other materials. So protect your DROIDs, I do Mine. :icon_ devil:

The Titanic comment is PRICELESS :rofl3:
The RainX is interesting... I use it religiously on my vehicles, never occurred to me to use it on a phone. But I do use my auto 'Invisible Glass' cleaner and that works GREAT!!!

R1Lover

Reaction score
do you know of anyone who scratched their touch screen because they didn't have a screen protector?

have we been sucked into believing a lie?
do we need this?
I have a small scratch on mine... not sure how I did it but it's there.

As for screen protectors... it's a gimmick and a way for people to make money.

There is no need for one imo. The very small scratch that I do have can't be sceen, it can only be felt and it's not an issue for me.