Have we bought a lie? do we really need a screen protector?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/61120

Read post 2 ... from the the guy in charge of Motorola's support forum. Specifically:

We do not recommend using a screen protector on the DROID because it does impact the touch sensitivity. In fact, Verizon agreed with that so you must have run into an agent who missed that memo. The glass on the DROID is pretty durable. I would return the screen protector.

And this as well here:
DROID - Touchscreen

Specifically:

Here are some things to keep in mind regarding your touch screen:

Your phone has a capacitive touch screen which requires your skin to touch the screen. If you are using a screen protector your screen may not work as designed.

I've used a few different brands of screen protectors and none of them have caused any problems with the touch screen's responsiveness.

hughesjr

Reaction score

Read post 2 ... from the the guy in charge of Motorola's support forum. Specifically:

We do not recommend using a screen protector on the DROID because it does impact the touch sensitivity. In fact, Verizon agreed with that so you must have run into an agent who missed that memo. The glass on the DROID is pretty durable. I would return the screen protector.

And this as well here:
DROID - Touchscreen

Specifically:

Your phone has a capacitive touch screen which requires your skin to touch the screen. If you are using a screen protector your screen may not work as designed.

I've used a few different brands of screen protectors and none of them have caused any problems with the touch screen's responsiveness.
I have played "Russian Roulette" a number of times in the past, and it has never increased the number of holes in my head. :icon_ banana:

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score

And this as well here:
DROID - Touchscreen

Specifically:

yeah but that is dated back when the phone was new. now Droids are being used in more day to day conditions now. I dont like the screen protector but i am not going to risk scratching my phone up, since Moto wont warranty any screen damage. That whole key scratching video is load of junk to me.. I remember learning in 4th grade that metal objects can not scratch surface of coated glass like a key. try it on a window if you dont believe it. or look it up on the Google.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i got the screen protector for extra assurance.

you never know what's going to happen so it's nice to have knowing you have more protection from the beautiful screen from being scratched.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
I dont notice any difference in touch response or accuracy with my phantom skins invisible shield on my phone... To each his own but i like the fact that i do not have to worry about my screen or anything else on the phone getting scratched. Call it peace of mind.

OyVOid

Reaction score
I have had two that were scratched ... the first one had a minor ding but the second was scratched on the day I got it while I was on my way to Best Buy to purchase the InvisaSheild thing ... from a gum wrapper in my hoodie.
Didn't take much at all to scratch either one ... these are both Droids that were replaced for bad sensors so maybe that had something to do with it although it seems unlikely. I'm keeping my screen protected to be safe. Here is one thread that we discussed it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/12965-steinheil-crystal.html

Sorry. You cannot scratch a Droid with a gum wrapper. Glass, specially alligator glass does not scratch that easy. I suggest it was done some other way.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8[/ame]

OMG!!! This was my first time watching the scratch test video. I cringed at the thought that someone would do that to their Droid. Glad it was his and not mine. It was like watching someone torturing their puppy. Horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. What can I say, I am a lightweight.

For me, I went out and bought a screen protector the day after my 4 year old niece grabbed my phone and started running around the house with it. She was rubbing the screen with her nails. Luckily, she didn't do any damage. She did however dropped my sister's digital camera the same night and now it's broken. You have to expect the unexpected. LOL!

ib2qwik2c

Reaction score
I'm running a naked Droid just because I haven't found any cases or protectors truly worth while.

I've dropped my phone at least 4 times. Usually on concrete floor or pavement (street). The body is barely marked. The screen is like new.

So do we really need all these accesories for protection? Personally, I don't think so.
Cases protect the aesthetics of the phone, that's about it.
Screen protectors seem to do more harm than good (touchscreen problem, screen texture, blurriness).

My .02

DurangoJim

Reaction score
I've got a screen protector on mine. The reason is, if you get sand, or gravel or anything with quartz (small little pebble, etc.) in your pocket with the Droid, the screen will scratch because it's harder than glass, gorilla or otherwise and it happened on my Storm in the past. Quartz is pretty common so I'd rather be safe. Also, if anyone doubts me, then I dare them to post a video of them scratching their screen with a quartz crystal or even some asphalt from a road.

DurangoJim

Reaction score
I have had two that were scratched ... the first one had a minor ding but the second was scratched on the day I got it while I was on my way to Best Buy to purchase the InvisaSheild thing ... from a gum wrapper in my hoodie.
Didn't take much at all to scratch either one ... these are both Droids that were replaced for bad sensors so maybe that had something to do with it although it seems unlikely. I'm keeping my screen protected to be safe. Here is one thread that we discussed it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/12965-steinheil-crystal.html

Sorry. You cannot scratch a Droid with a gum wrapper. Glass, specially alligator glass does not scratch that easy. I suggest it was done some other way.

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8[/video]

OMG!!! This was my first time watching the scratch test video. I cringed at the thought that someone would do that to their Droid. Glad it was his and not mine. It was like watching someone torturing their puppy. Horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. What can I say, I am a lightweight.

For me, I went out and bought a screen protector the day after my 4 year old niece grabbed my phone and started running around the house with it. She was rubbing the screen with her nails. Luckily, she didn't do any damage. She did however dropped my sister's digital camera the same night and now it's broken. You have to expect the unexpected. LOL!

This test is stupid and bogus and means nothing. Metal can't scratch glass. Go take a razor blade to you windshield and see what happens, nothing. Now go take a handful of sand and rub it around the windshield -- scratches galore.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Scratched mine, It's less than 1mm long and very shallow. Not very noticeable and doesn't affect operation, and for an OCD person like I am, it sucks. Pics later if I can get a decent macro camera.

richrcp

Reaction score
Invisible shield is the way to go or another type that you may prefer. But by all means put something on your screen to protect your investment it's worth it !!!:)

Bill M

Reaction score
I'm another user that doesn't use a screen protector. I keep it in my jacket pocket or my jeans pocket and I don't have any scratches. I've had my droid since the first day they were released.

Prior to this phone I had a blackberry curve wich scratched very easily.

I also have an ipod touch that doesn't have a screen protector either and that doesn't get scratched either.

I just couldn't imagine having to put a screen protector on a touch screen, it's just easier to clean the fingerprints off of glass.

MarkO

Reaction score
Again, metal hardness is very low. Many times lower than the hardness of glass. So it's no surprise it's very difficult to scratch with a non-hardened metal. Even razor blades will not scratch. But sand, quartz, mica, porcelain, diamonds and other stones will easily scratch our screens.

But to each his/her own.

Bathroom reading material on hardness of materials. Generally speaking, the harder substance scratches the softer:
Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zozz

Reaction score
I used to have a screen protector for my iPhone, used it for all the time I had it. Did the same with the Droid, about a 2 months ago, it ripped off then I slipped it out of my pocket. I've had it naked since then, this screen handles amazingly, no visible scratches.