Have a problem

jocko1960

Reaction score
Being my first or second post I hope I'm posting in the right section.

Here's my issue,
I rooted following droidreviews videos and instructions and all went well. Updated the sprecovery and went back into recovery mode and it showed the new update as in the video.

Ok after this is where i ran into a problem. I downloaded the newest sprecovery 0.99.3b and copied the file to the root directory of my sdcard like with 0.99.2b and went into terminal emulater to install it as i did the 0.99.2b version.

When I did that it says the file can't be found. So I did the reboot recovery cmd and it shutdown but won't boot into recovery mode, it hangs at the motorola icon. I can pull the batt at that point then it will boot back into the normal mode but i can't get it to boot to recovery at all. Tried using the command from droidroothelper tools and the X key power button method with the same result, hangs at the moto icon.

Any ideas?

Thanks

R1Lover

Reaction score
Turn on the phone, connect it to your pc via use.... mount the sdcard and remove one of them... having two is causing issues I'm sure.

You can also remove both and then install via adb.

OP
jocko1960

jocko1960

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

OP
jocko1960

jocko1960

Reaction score
No sir, I'm not.
Also I tried removing each of those files first one and tried to boot to recovery, no luck, then removed .99.2b and copied 99.3b back, still no luck. Hangs at the moto logo. I tried booting using the x key and power button both times.

I'm not familar with adb.

OP
jocko1960

jocko1960

Reaction score
Ok got back in. What i did was go back through all the steps to prepare to create a nandroid backup using the droidroothelper tools, up to and including installing the recovery 0.99.1b.
Then after unmounting and syncing told it to reboot to recovery and I'm back in.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok if you'd like an easy way to get sprecovery .99.3b use dmupdater from droidmod.org. you don't have to use their ROM just a quick easy way to get the latest recovery. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

OP
jocko1960

jocko1960

Reaction score
Ok if you'd like an easy way to get sprecovery .99.3b use dmupdater from droidmod.org. you don't have to use their ROM just a quick easy way to get the latest recovery. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Will check into that now. One question, I currently have .99.2b on the root of my sdcard. Should I remove that file before I use the updater? Ok 2 questions, Since I'm already rooted do I still follow the instructions going through the "Do you want to root your Phone" to get to the stage to add the new SPRecovery?

Thanks for the time you put in to answer these probably simple noobie questions.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Will check into that now. One question, I currently have .99.2b on the root of my sdcard. Should I remove that file before I use the updater? Ok 2 questions, Since I'm already rooted do I still follow the instructions going through the "Do you want to root your Phone" to get to the stage to add the new SPRecovery?

Thanks for the time you put in to answer these probably simple noobie questions.

All you need to do is open dmupdater and it flashed .99.3b no matter what's there currently. Just follow the steps it brings up, and when it gets to where you can flash the ROM just download one you want and go from there.

OP
jocko1960

jocko1960

Reaction score
Alright downloaded dmupdater, installed it, ran it and it recognized my phone was rooted. it tells me my recovery image needs to be updated and asks if I want to do this, I choose yes then I get another window that says "are you sure? this will void your warranty and will probably break your recovery mode". That break your recovery mode has me hesitant to click yes. Should I?
Is that going to put me back to where this tread started or will it work as intended?

Thanks again

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Alright downloaded dmupdater, installed it, ran it and it recognized my phone was rooted. it tells me my recovery image needs to be updated and asks if I want to do this, I choose yes then I get another window that says "are you sure? this will void your warranty and will probably break your recovery mode". That break your recovery mode has me hesitant to click yes. Should I?
Is that going to put me back to where this tread started or will it work as intended?

Thanks again

Don't worry, you'll be ok. It's one of the DM guys covering their ass with an odd sense of humor really.

OP
jocko1960

jocko1960

Reaction score
Thanks, just wanted someone to hold my hand a bit, lol. Worked just fine and have the latest version of SPRecovery on my phone now.

Did a lot of messing around with my old Razr a couple years ago (which it actually seems that this is alot less cumbersome) but this being my new baby I'm still skitish about messing around to much, but I'm learning. Thanks to a lot of reading and you guys taking the time to answer questions.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Thanks, just wanted someone to hold my hand a bit, lol. Worked just fine and have the latest version of SPRecovery on my phone now.

Did a lot of messing around with my old Razr a couple years ago (which it actually seems that this is alot less cumbersome) but this being my new baby I'm still skitish about messing around to much, but I'm learning. Thanks to a lot of reading and you guys taking the time to answer questions.

since it is almost impossible to brick this bad boy, have fun with it and try what you feel comfortable doing. There's a whole lotta things to do so just keep reading and try what you can.