Has anyone rooted and deleted bloatware?if so what happened?

Zenmervolt

Reaction score
Well, some OTAs really do fix critical bugs. Saying if you are not aware them, why should you care seems, um, shortsighed. How long have you had this phone! A lot of people are very happy with their phone at first, then over time they encounter bugs which are first annoying, then we get the "This phone is a piece of ... " posts.

The e-mail synch works fine, the phone works fine, and the browser works fine. That's all I need. I know what you're saying about potentially finding other issues, but in my time with BB, Palm, and the OG Droid I've never once encountered a bug that required an OTA update. The "mission critical" things tend to simply work. Frankly, the OTA updates on my OG Droid caused more issues with the phone slowing down than they ever helped anyway. Flash was nice to have, but it didn't really make a huge difference for me in my actual use patterns.

Also, the next android release will presumably be pushed to the bionic one day, and this will fail if the image on the phone is not what is expected. LOTS of people just found this out with the gb release for the droid 2 global. And at least there is an sbf for that phone.

And I need the next release because? Out of the box the phone handles HTML5 and Flash. I'm perfectly content to treat the phone as though it were an embedded device without OS updates.

All that said, I'm not saying that everyone should do what I've done. All I'm saying is that a person should know the trade-offs and make the decision about whether those trade-offs are acceptable for themselves.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
The only thing I would add is that OTA's quite frequently update the basebands on the phone. Granted the older ones usually still work, and in many cases (mine in particular) are better than the new ones in terms of functionality, but I would feel pretty uncomfortable saying definatively that my phone is the best it will ever be, right now. perhaps functional, but possibly not optimal. As 4G is so dang new, I would expect to see some definate changes to the radio over time.

Craig

Zenmervolt

Reaction score
The only thing I would add is that OTA's quite frequently update the basebands on the phone. Granted the older ones usually still work, and in many cases (mine in particular) are better than the new ones in terms of functionality, but I would feel pretty uncomfortable saying definatively that my phone is the best it will ever be, right now. perhaps functional, but possibly not optimal. As 4G is so dang new, I would expect to see some definate changes to the radio over time.

Craig

Fair. Though I'd also point out that "dumb" phones function just fine without ever updating the baseband. My mother's been using the same Motorola RAZR for nearly 6 years now and that phone certainly hasn't had any updates to its baseband radio. I'm sure there are potential benefits to updating the baseband radio's firmware, but it's not something that would cripple a phone.

Again though, I'm not saying my way is for everyone. I'm just saying that a particular choice isn't inherently "bad" or "wrong" in this instance. It's simply a matter of understanding and accepting the tradeoffs.

I do appreciate the honest and technical answers I've received, thanks much to everyone who has given thoughtful responses.

lilhill

Reaction score
Will having removed app such as Blockbuster and the Vcast apps matter when an OTA update comes?

CrazyRussian

Reaction score
Bloatware Removal

Here is what I've posted on my "How I ruined Bionic" thread:

"Got my bionic yesterday, got to the office, rooted with one click - everything went smooth without any problems. Then I started to remove the bloatware. My office computer did not have ADB installed so I downloaded Titanium backup - what a powerful program - and fired it up. I removed:

Amazon Kindle
Blockbuster
Citrix
City ID
GoToMeeting
IM
NFL Mobile
Slacker
Social Location
Social Networking
ALL of V CAST crap
and VZ Navigator

After all said and done - Bionic was fine and running a bit snappier.

I should've stopped then - it was a perfect setup - almost as clean as Google phone.

But, I've decided to take one more look into what's there and accidently removed Yahoo Authentication - without having to back it up first. Well, after that, contact wouldnt open forceclosing with an error. Search for SBF was unsuccessful, installing Yahoo from Market did not help.

Sooo.... I had to install ADB on my office PC, removed suprersuer.apk, removed titanium backup, removed settings.apk along a few other system apks and went to Verizon. Since they couldnt get into settings and run factory restore (eventhough restore wouldnt have brought the removed apps) exchanged it on the spot for a new one."

ambrown

Reaction score
Anyone else wishing you could just uninstall without rooting? That should be standard. Even Windows let's me junk the bloatware no questions asked.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Here is what I've posted on my "How I ruined Bionic" thread:

"Got my bionic yesterday, got to the office, rooted with one click - everything went smooth without any problems. Then I started to remove the bloatware. My office computer did not have ADB installed so I downloaded Titanium backup - what a powerful program - and fired it up. I removed:

Amazon Kindle
Blockbuster
Citrix
City ID
GoToMeeting
IM
NFL Mobile
Slacker
Social Location
Social Networking
ALL of V CAST crap
and VZ Navigator

After all said and done - Bionic was fine and running a bit snappier.

I should've stopped then - it was a perfect setup - almost as clean as Google phone.

But, I've decided to take one more look into what's there and accidently removed Yahoo Authentication - without having to back it up first. Well, after that, contact wouldnt open forceclosing with an error. Search for SBF was unsuccessful, installing Yahoo from Market did not help.

Sooo.... I had to install ADB on my office PC, removed suprersuer.apk, removed titanium backup, removed settings.apk along a few other system apks and went to Verizon. Since they couldnt get into settings and run factory restore (eventhough restore wouldnt have brought the removed apps) exchanged it on the spot for a new one."

If you would have read a bit you could have fixed that situation yourself. So Moto and VZW get to pay for your mistake and jack up prices in general. Great.

yiannis

Reaction score
how about

social messaging
social messaging service
social sharing
social status

?

Anyone froze those (I use TiBuPRO)

yiannis

Reaction score
Frozen the following without problem using TiBuPRO on a rooted stock Bionic. These names are shown as they appear on TiBuPRO. Phone feels a bit snappier. Based on the 5-minute updates of mAh usage from the Battery Monitor Widget log, battery consumption while the phone is being used (so Juice defender wouldn't come into play) may be significantly DOWN.

AdService 1.0
Amazon Kindle 3.0.2.71
Backup Assistant Client
Blockbuster 0.9
Books 1.4.4
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.17
Facebook 1.7.1
Facebook Authenticator 2.3.4
FMRadioService 2.3.4
GoToMeeting 1.0
HTML Viewer 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
Live Wallpaper picker 2.3.4
Magic Smike Wallpapers 2.3.4
News 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social Messaging Service 2.3.4
Social NEtworking 2.3.4
Social Sharing 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Sticky Note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
Talk 1.3
Text Messaging 2.3.4
V Cast Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V Cast Music 03.72.110
V Cast Tones 4.5.11
V Cast Videos 5.72.008
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
Weather 2.3.4

xmguy

Reaction score
I go "old school" and use Root Explorer and just .bak all the "bloatware". Rather than freeze or delete them. Never know if the phone has a memory check sum. Atleast it all adds up and reverting to stock is VERY simple. Mine works fine though.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just went thru my TiBu list and counted 58 items that I have frozen. My phone is really quick and my battery is averaging 23-24 hours on wifi or 4G. Love it!! :icon_ banana:

yiannis

Reaction score
I just went thru my TiBu list and counted 58 items that I have frozen. My phone is really quick and my battery is averaging 23-24 hours on wifi or 4G. Love it!! :icon_ banana:

It would be really useful to compile a list and just sticky it and keep it growing. Would you like to type your safe ones and copy and paste your list to the ones below? (Obviously duplicate programs need not be entered) It think that would be great for those looking to debloat and/or save battery.

AdService 1.0
Amazon Kindle 3.0.2.71
Backup Assistant Client
Blockbuster 0.9
Books 1.4.4
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.17
Facebook 1.7.1
FMRadioService 2.3.4
GoToMeeting 1.0
HTML Viewer 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
News 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social NEtworking 2.3.4
Social Sharing 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Sticky Note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
Talk 1.3
Text Messaging 2.3.4
V Cast Music 03.72.110
V Cast Tones 4.5.11
V Cast Videos 5.72.008
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
Weather 2.3.4

Jaycea22

Reaction score
Yiannis,

doesn't freezing text message 2.3.4 mess with you receiving text and picture messages? Thought you still needed to run the stock message app while using 3rd party message apps like handscent and Chomp?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It would be really useful to compile a list and just sticky it and keep it growing. Would you like to type your safe ones and copy and paste your list to the ones below? (Obviously duplicate programs need not be entered) It think that would be great for those looking to debloat and/or save battery.

AdService 1.0
Amazon Kindle 3.0.2.71
Backup Assistant Client
Blockbuster 0.9
Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4
Books 1.4.4
CarDock 1.0
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.17
Desk Home 2.3.4
Device Setup 1.0
DLNA 0709.69
Facebook 1.7.1
Flickr Authenticator 2.3.4
FMRadioService 2.3.4
Forest Wallpaper 1.0
FOTA 2.3.4
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
Home Screen Tips 1.0
HTML Viewer 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
Linkedin Authenticator 2.3.4
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38
Motorola Dock Service 1.0
Music Visualization Wallpapers 2.3.4
Myspace Authenticator 2.3.4
News 2.3.4
Orkut Authenticator 2.3.4
Photobucket Authenticator 2.3.4
Picasa Authenticator 2.3.4
Quickoffice, Inc 4.1.80
Skyrock Authenticator 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535
Smart Dock 2.3.4
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social NEtworking 2.3.4
Social Sharing 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Sticky Note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
Talk 1.3
Tasks 1.0
Text Messaging 2.3.4
Twitter Authenticator 2.3.4
V Cast Music 03.72.110
V Cast Tones 4.5.11
V Cast Videos 5.72.008
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
Video Editor Lite 3.1.0.4
Video Surf 1.0.10
Weather 2.3.4
Work Contacts 2.3.4

Ok, here are my additions. Many of these were on my DroidX so I knew they were safe to freeze.