Has anyone rooted and deleted bloatware?if so what happened?

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Hacks' started by alucard9114, Sep 9, 2011.

1. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

Has anyone rooted and deleted bloatware?if so what happened?:icon_eek:
  2. grrouchie

grrouchie New Member

i just want to know what I can safely remove without any issues - i don't know what bloatware must stay and what can go.
  3. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

same here!
  4. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

Grrouchie make a back up
  5. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

I rooted but I'm not deleting anything. Even those games like Hotshot golf which can be uninstalled, I'm only deleting that when I back up my Bionic but the ones that aren't meant to be deleted without root, I won't delete, just freeze.
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Gang,

The D3 has been rooted for a couple of weeks. If you check in with the D3 hacks section, you will see what they have found to remove and what they have found that will cause soft bricks. There are a couple of posts which list actual file names, so you can compare to the Bionic OS to see if they are the same. As the phones are kissing cousins, I would heartily suggest taking a look at these threads. But be advised, all it takes is borking one file to soft brick your phone. ADB might be your friend here.

Craig

Edit: Sheesh, I am being a terminology idiot. I would suggest not deleting anything. Rename to xyz.apk.bak to disable at boot, or use Titanium to freeze as was mentioned above. There are very few reasons to actually delete any files from system. There is room in the system partition to hold these files, and very little of what you could do at this point would need any more room in the system partion. Just rename.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. Tsquare

Tsquare New Member

I rooted and went through the "safe to freeze" list from D3 (which I did non my D3 and all was fine), but I kept getting FC on the dialer app. I never remove anything, I use TI to freeze it. I unfroze everything and will try again later.
  8. idefiler6

idefiler6 New Member

There's a thread over on rootzwiki where a kid bricked the **** out of it so bad that VZ couldn't restore it and just gave him a new one. He did more than freeze though.
  9. tech_head

tech_head Active Member

Rooted and froze using Titanium Backup.
  10. jdmcwestevo

jdmcwestevo New Member

i rooted and deleted **** it bricked on me. even hard reset wouldnt fix it it kept bootlooping i exchanged it today for new one lol im not ****ing with it anymore until someone figures it all out
  11. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt New Member

Deleted the NFL app, all VCAST apps (NOT "vzwapnpermission.apk", "vzwcontroller.apk", "vzwdevicesetup.apk", "vzwentitlementservice.apk", or "vzwphoneservice.apk"), as well as the Verizon IM (VZWIM.apk), Rich Location, Slacker Radio, and the Verizon suite (VSuiteApp.apk). Phone is working perfectly fine for me.
  12. ranlil

ranlil New Member

No Problem

So far I have deleted a whole bunch of stuff with Root Explorer. Lovin it... dancedroid
  13. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

i deleted the vcast apps no problem! but i deleted the stock gallery and put on 3dgallery and you cant select pictures from the camera app
  14. Arkbird

You guys deleted those apps? :icon_ nono2:

Well yes of course the phone is going to work fine until Verizon sends an OTA update to patch some bugs. That's when you're phone is going to mess up.
  15. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt New Member

I'm not sure how apps like the NFL app or Slacker Radio could possibly be integrated with core phone functionality. It would be one thing if someone were deleting the motoblur APK files, but the VCast apps and NFL/Slacker don't touch core system functionality at all. There's nothing else in the system that calls those apps.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how an OTA works and they somehow require an exact image? That doesn't seem right though since the CityID app lets itself be uninstalled even though it's in the /system/app directory with the other "un-uninstallable" apps and therefore the image wouldn't be exact if the user had gotten rid of that app (as allowed even without root).

Yes, I'm taking a bit of a risk, but so far no-one has offered any explanation for why it's some huge problem. I see lots of people saying "OTA will be a problem" but never any explanation of why. The worst I've heard is that the OTA update won't take. Big freakin' deal. The phone works perfectly for me now. Why do I need an update?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  16. Arkbird

I'm not sure but from what I've heard, you need the bloatware or else the OTA doesn't work and messes up your phone. Granted there are some apps that come installed that you can delete (Hotshot golf) without root access but I'm not sure if I should. I guess we'll wait and see. But you may not need any update but it might fix some bugs you weren't aware of.
  17. ranlil

ranlil New Member

Don't take the OTAs
  18. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt New Member

This seems to be all I can get from anyone. An "I've heard" that it "messes up the phone." But I've never had anyone say how it messes up the phone. They never give any actual symptoms, just some vague, "someone said it's bad" sort of thing. If someone can name the specific problems then I'm all ears, but otherwise it's just one big game of telephone.

I'm actually really interested in first-hand accounts of what happened to people who deleted bloatware and then had an OTA update, but so far I haven't found any.

If I'm not aware of the bugs, why do I care if they get fixed? If I'm not aware of them, they obviously aren't affecting me.
  19. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt New Member

At least with the OG Droid, the OTAs are pushed to the phone by the network. There's no choice in the matter. The OTA is pushed to the phone and the next time you reboot the phone applies the update.
  20. jdmcwestevo

jdmcwestevo New Member

if you read my post i deleted some stuff i dont know exactly what did it lol but one of the annoying apps i figured i didnt need i deleted then everything started to pop up force close etc. phone reset and got stuck in boot loop. hard reset didnt help needed to exchange.
Search tags for this page
deleted messaging 2.3.4 apk
droid how to remove vzwphoneservice.apk
fmradioservice 2.3.4
rich location app
smartdock.apk 2.3.4
vzwapnpermission

vzwapnpermission.apk

vzwcontroller.apk

vzwentitlementservice.apk
vzwphoneservice.apk
what hallen if i delete bloatwares