Has anyone rooted and deleted bloatware?if so what happened?

grrouchie

Reaction score
i just want to know what I can safely remove without any issues - i don't know what bloatware must stay and what can go.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rooted but I'm not deleting anything. Even those games like Hotshot golf which can be uninstalled, I'm only deleting that when I back up my Bionic but the ones that aren't meant to be deleted without root, I won't delete, just freeze.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Gang,

The D3 has been rooted for a couple of weeks. If you check in with the D3 hacks section, you will see what they have found to remove and what they have found that will cause soft bricks. There are a couple of posts which list actual file names, so you can compare to the Bionic OS to see if they are the same. As the phones are kissing cousins, I would heartily suggest taking a look at these threads. But be advised, all it takes is borking one file to soft brick your phone. ADB might be your friend here.

Craig

Edit: Sheesh, I am being a terminology idiot. I would suggest not deleting anything. Rename to xyz.apk.bak to disable at boot, or use Titanium to freeze as was mentioned above. There are very few reasons to actually delete any files from system. There is room in the system partition to hold these files, and very little of what you could do at this point would need any more room in the system partion. Just rename.

Last edited:

Tsquare

Reaction score
I rooted and went through the "safe to freeze" list from D3 (which I did non my D3 and all was fine), but I kept getting FC on the dialer app. I never remove anything, I use TI to freeze it. I unfroze everything and will try again later.

idefiler6

Reaction score
There's a thread over on rootzwiki where a kid bricked the **** out of it so bad that VZ couldn't restore it and just gave him a new one. He did more than freeze though.

jdmcwestevo

Reaction score
i rooted and deleted **** it bricked on me. even hard reset wouldnt fix it it kept bootlooping i exchanged it today for new one lol im not ****ing with it anymore until someone figures it all out

Zenmervolt

Reaction score
Deleted the NFL app, all VCAST apps (NOT "vzwapnpermission.apk", "vzwcontroller.apk", "vzwdevicesetup.apk", "vzwentitlementservice.apk", or "vzwphoneservice.apk"), as well as the Verizon IM (VZWIM.apk), Rich Location, Slacker Radio, and the Verizon suite (VSuiteApp.apk). Phone is working perfectly fine for me.

ranlil

Reaction score
No Problem

So far I have deleted a whole bunch of stuff with Root Explorer. Lovin it... dancedroid

OP
alucard9114

alucard9114

Reaction score
i deleted the vcast apps no problem! but i deleted the stock gallery and put on 3dgallery and you cant select pictures from the camera app

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys deleted those apps? :icon_ nono2:

Well yes of course the phone is going to work fine until Verizon sends an OTA update to patch some bugs. That's when you're phone is going to mess up.

Zenmervolt

Reaction score
You guys deleted those apps? :icon_ nono2:

Well yes of course the phone is going to work fine until Verizon sends an OTA update to patch some bugs. That's when you're phone is going to mess up.

I'm not sure how apps like the NFL app or Slacker Radio could possibly be integrated with core phone functionality. It would be one thing if someone were deleting the motoblur APK files, but the VCast apps and NFL/Slacker don't touch core system functionality at all. There's nothing else in the system that calls those apps.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how an OTA works and they somehow require an exact image? That doesn't seem right though since the CityID app lets itself be uninstalled even though it's in the /system/app directory with the other "un-uninstallable" apps and therefore the image wouldn't be exact if the user had gotten rid of that app (as allowed even without root).

Yes, I'm taking a bit of a risk, but so far no-one has offered any explanation for why it's some huge problem. I see lots of people saying "OTA will be a problem" but never any explanation of why. The worst I've heard is that the OTA update won't take. Big freakin' deal. The phone works perfectly for me now. Why do I need an update?

Last edited: