Hard press home button doesn't work

ericsbcn

Reaction score
Is anyone here anymore...?

I just got a new S9 plus. I've been trying out all the features, but one doesn't seem to work: hard press home button. I want to be able to unlock the phone with the home button. I have "Hard press Home button" and "Unlock with Home button" turned on. But no matter how hard I press on the home button on the Always On Display, nothing happens.

I went into the Hard press Home button setting and tried the pressure test. But even there it doesn't seem to work. I set it to the lightest setting and turn the test on. Then I press the button image at the bottom of the screen, but again, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

The Home button works fine when the phone is active. Just not on the AOD.

Thanks.
Eric S.

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
Is anyone here anymore...?

I just got a new S9 plus. I've been trying out all the features, but one doesn't seem to work: hard press home button. I want to be able to unlock the phone with the home button. I have "Hard press Home button" and "Unlock with Home button" turned on. But no matter how hard I press on the home button on the Always On Display, nothing happens.

I went into the Hard press Home button setting and tried the pressure test. But even there it doesn't seem to work. I set it to the lightest setting and turn the test on. Then I press the button image at the bottom of the screen, but again, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

The Home button works fine when the phone is active. Just not on the AOD.

Thanks.
Eric S.
When you setup your phone did you go from scratch or bring over data from another phone? There's been a lot of problems on XDA of people thinking there phone has a bug by bringing over data but after a FDFR everything is working fine. Not saying you need a FDR but if you brought over data from another phone that could be your issue.

Last edited:
OP
E

ericsbcn

Reaction score
When you setup your phone did you go from scratch or bring over data from another phone? There's been a lot of problems on XDA of people thinking there phone has a bug by bringing over data but after a FDFR everything is working fine. Not saying you need a FDR but if you brought over data from another phone that could be your issue.

I set it up from scratch. I did not use any data transfer, although it did bring over some Google things from my old phone, like my contacts, once I signed in with my Google account.

I noticed one other issue, maybe related. If I set the AOD to "Tap to Show", that doesn't work either. The AOD never comes on, no matter how many times or how hard I tap.. The other two settings, e.g. Show Always, do work.

Thanks.

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
I set it up from scratch. I did not use any data transfer, although it did bring over some Google things from my old phone, like my contacts, once I signed in with my Google account.

I noticed one other issue, maybe related. If I set the AOD to "Tap to Show", that doesn't work either. The AOD never comes on, no matter how many times or how hard I tap.. The other two settings, e.g. Show Always, do work.

Thanks.
I did read this on another forum:

I have the exact same problem with my S9+ after android 10 update. It only works for me if I change navbar to full screen gesture and change it back but still not reliable. It stops working again after a few hours.

OP
E

ericsbcn

Reaction score
I did read this on another forum:

I have the exact same problem with my S9+ after android 10 update. It only works for me if I change navbar to full screen gesture and change it back but still not reliable. It stops working again after a few hours.

Thanks. Was that the Samsung community? I saw it, too. But I'm not sure it's the same problem. That person said the hard press did work to turn the phone on, but not on full screen apps. In my case, it does not work in either case.

But I'll try the solution anyway. How to I change navbar to full screen gesture?

- Eric S.

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
Thanks. Was that the Samsung community? I saw it, too. But I'm not sure it's the same problem. That person said the hard press did work to turn the phone on, but not on full screen apps. In my case, it does not work in either case.

But I'll try the solution anyway. How to I change navbar to full screen gesture?

- Eric S.
See if this is it : From Settings, tap Display, and then tap Navigation bar. From here, choose between Navigation buttons and Swipe gestures.

OP
E

ericsbcn

Reaction score
See if this is it : From Settings, tap Display, and then tap Navigation bar. From here, choose between Navigation buttons and Swipe gestures.

Ok. I tried switching between those 2 settings, and it didn't really help. Thanks anyway.

OP
E

ericsbcn

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried factory reset and that didn't help anything. I also took the phone to a Verizon store to see if there was some setting that I had wrong and they told me the settings looked good. So I think it must be a hardware problem. I'm going to send the phone back. In the meantime, I bought another S9 plus and that one seems to be working fine. Which also reinforces my conclusion that it was a problem with that phone itself.

Thanks again.