Happy 6th Birthday Motorola Droid and DroidForums

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
DroidX!

Found the DX forum while searching for Android info, based on the reviews I read there on the DX, I went to the Verizon Store and upgrade my LG Envy Touch.

Root'd & ROM'd (Liberty!). Who knew I'd be in on the ground floor of one of the most socially significant technological advances in modern times.

"SmartPhones" have changed our society in so many ways. Not all good mind you, but significant none the less.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When did you buy your droid? I bought mine on the week it was released and at the time I actually wanted to take it back for a storm 2 or omnia because of it missing one app (NFL Sunday Ticket). Went from the Droiddog site to phandroid, and eventually here as a result of a poster at phandroid linking this forum for information about the NFL Sunday ticket app, which eventually came to the droid that month (oh Im so glad I didnt switch especially after I then learned about this method called rooting)

What device did you come from before switching to the Droid? iPhone 3gs

What was your favorite feature of the Droid? KB (even though it was flat) and the droid notification.

Did you go stock or root it? Rooted it, but thanks to an app called sholesmodupdater I never looked back after I saw the potential that rooting brought.

What was your favorite apps then? SetCPU, wifi tethering for root users, dolphin browser (until stock came with pinch to zoom...wow yup android phones had a browser on it that was not chrome), and NFL Sunday Ticket (well until it kept freezing that is weird that an app like that played games smooth on a 3g signal....amazing).

What was the one think you disliked about your Droid or wish it had (ie pinch to zoom)? My Droid was one that suffered from the dreaded 3.5 mm jack issue which led me to vzw swapping my droid out for a d2 and I was so happy at the time.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
That commercial brings me back, remember seeing it the first time. That was the marketing that was needed at the time and it rocked. Its no wonder the Droid keyboard lineup went through 4 iterations. Personally wanted the Droid, but the Droid X was more compelling when I decided to upgrade. Also have been following this forum thanks to it.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I did upgrade to the Droid X after the OG Droid. Bigger and Faster but missed the Keyboard. I just took my OG Droid out and started Charging it. Going to play with it a little. lol

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That commercial brings me back, remember seeing it the first time. That was the marketing that was needed at the time and it rocked. Its no wonder the Droid keyboard lineup went through 4 iterations. Personally wanted the Droid, but the Droid X was more compelling when I decided to upgrade. Also have been following this forum thanks to it.

And to think, the Droid was a result of sour grapes because VZW could not get the iphone (exclusive to AT&T at the time). Hence why VZW marketed heavy after apple and the iPhone. Yet here we are and if we were to go through the "idon'ts" you can add Samsung, Nexus phones, and basically all the android phones on the market.

And I bet majority of people at the time didnt understand what open development was, I didnt until I rooted.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I forgot to answer the questions....

I got my droid 3 days before I joined this site, January 12 2011 after having the BB Tour and the BB Storm 2 (both of which I loved, but having a PSN emulator got me to make the switch) I got the Droid 2 Global in White

As I stated, being able to actually run emulators, SNES GBA NES Etc is what finally got me to switch, The complete lack of games on my BB really sealed the deal, it was when I saw that a working Play Station emulator was released I realized the power that these phones had and made the jump. The D2G was on sale and I picked it up one day after reading the article.

I rooted almost immediately and never looked back.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
When did you buy your droid?

When the Galaxy S2 was released. I saw a friend that had the HTC Evo and loved the screen size. AT&T didn't carry it so I got the S2. I was tired of the nano screen sizes.

What device did you come from before switching to the Droid?

Apple iPhone 4.

What was your favorite feature of the Droid?

The screen size.

Did you go stock or root it?

Rooted it after realizing there was so much more to do with it than I could running stock.

What was your favorite apps then?

Rom Manager.

What was the one thing you disliked about your Droid or wish it had (ie pinch to zoom)?

A better camera. I wanted to leave my Sony camera at the house, but couldn't.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
  • When did you buy your droid?
    July 15th 2010
  • What device did you come from before switching to the Droid?
    BB Storm 2
  • What was your favorite feature of the Droid?
    The apps. BB's app store wasn't that good.
  • Did you go stock or root it?
    Rooted it via Droid X recovery bootstrap in the play store
  • What was your favorite apps then?
    Gchat - We could have multiple people in one conversation
  • What was the one think you disliked about your Droid or wish it had (ie pinch to zoom)?
    It didn't make breakfast?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Cheers to another 6 years! :D
ff0IBbp.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
  • When did you buy your droid?
    November 2009.
  • What device did you come from before switching to the Droid?
    G1, though I had an LG dumb/touchscreen phone for a few months. My cousins and I went to VZW to add them to my plan. I wasn't even going to get a new phone, but the lady was showing one of them the Droid and I immediately realized it was android. Bought it outright that day.
  • What was your favorite feature of the Droid?
    Mostly, just that it was android. Was also amazed after buying it to see that my area had 3G at the time.
  • Did you go stock or root it?
    Held out on rooting for a long time, but then I rooted it. Didn't run many custom ROMs, but I got big into playing with theming the device.
  • What was your favorite apps then?
    So hard to even remember. It was definitely a launcher app, but I can't recall the name of it. It was abandoned before I upgraded to the Droid X.
  • What was the one think you disliked about your Droid or wish it had (ie pinch to zoom)?
    I liked it for what it was, though I never really used the physical keyboard. Once my DroidX arrived, I never really gave the OG a second though. Bigger screen and no physical keyboard were the way to go for me. I actually won a Droid 2 R2-D2 phone in a twitter contest and tried to use it for a day or two. Ended up selling it on eBay because I missed the larger screen and slimmer design of the X. 4.3 seemed like such a large phone at the time...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My first Droid was the Dinc, maybe 2011ish? I joined here when I was looking to root it. I had a BB Tour previously.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Inc, did you join our incredible forum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I got it soon after it was released.

I switched from Motorola Q9m

Physical keyboard

Ran stock

Can't remember which app was my favorite but I recently found the little guy in a drawer and charged him up and he worked just fine. For 6 year old tech anyway.