Hairy Situation: Timely Advice Needed

supercripple

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the story. I recently made a post here about a couple of my buttons going haywire (home and search). No one replied, so I just decided to take it to the Verizon store and get their opinion on the matter.

They ruled it to be a manufacturer's defect and gave me two options, either try a factory reset or have them send it in and get a refurbished one back.

Both of these choices suck, because that would require me losing everything on the phone (that's not on the SD card). They informed me that only the apps purchased within the last 30 days would be recognized as still mine, and I'd have to re-purchase all the others.

So, the question is this: If I were to root my phone, get something like Titanium Backup, and backup all my apps, etc., could I then factory reset my phone back to normal, send it in and get the refurbished one, and then re-install all my apps from the SD card?

Or option B, wait a couple weeks (which is SUPPOSEDLY when FroYo comes out), get the update, legitimately backup all my apps to the SD then, and THEN send it in and get the refurb?

I've run through as many options as I possibly can, and these are the only things I can think of. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

J

Johnly

Defective? Needs to go IMO. The cloud will save most everything for you. I got a refurb, and it is still going strong.....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The 30day line is BS.....Apps are listed in your google checkout forever(more or less)

And Froyo only will move apps to the sdcard that are allowed by the developer.

OP
S

supercripple

Reaction score
The 30day line is BS.....Apps are listed in your google checkout forever(more or less)

That's what I was hoping, but this was coming from the lady at the Verizon store. I'm not sure why she'd say that if she wasn't sure... =/

Then again, it's a -Verizon- store, not an Android/Google store, so what would she know?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

That's what I was hoping, but this was coming from the lady at the Verizon store. I'm not sure why she'd say that if she wasn't sure... =/

Then again, it's a -Verizon- store, not an Android/Google store, so what would she know?

I take any rep that I don't really know as lying if their lips are moving.

OP
S

supercripple

Reaction score
So then would you suggest just trying a factory reset first, then? That way I don't have to wait the two or three days for them to send me a new one? Because physically it seems to be in perfect condition... I've been more careful with this phone than all my other phones combined.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would, only thing you lose is setup time.....I wouldn't even bother backing up text messages....but thats just me.

OP
S

supercripple

Reaction score
I honestly don't care about text messages. I've already had them disappear on me once for no good reason.

I was just going to use Lookout to backup whatever it could, then go for it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
not a plug, just what I've used.

Look up MyBackUpPro to back up apps. It's in the Market

SGTiger

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the story. I recently made a post here about a couple of my buttons going haywire (home and search). No one replied, so I just decided to take it to the Verizon store and get their opinion on the matter.

Any chance you're using Lock Delay with Froyo? Reason I ask is it makes the home and search buttons only work intermittently.

OP
S

supercripple

Reaction score

Any chance you're using Lock Delay with Froyo? Reason I ask is it makes the home and search buttons only work intermittently.

Nope, just 2.1. I'm waiting until Froyo is legitimately released.

I did a factory reset last night, and it was actually a lot less painful than I thought it was going to be. Took me about 20 minutes to re-download all my apps, and about an hour to get all my settings and the look and feel back to normal.

All I have to do now is get my ringtones set back up. So, thanks for all your help. =D