Will I get updates if I restore apps from the SD card?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread that there will not be automatic app updates if apps are restored from a SD card using Astro to backup apps. I asked a follow-up about using mybackup pro to backup apps, but no one replied. I was thinking of buying mybackup pro in case my Droid fails or I have to do a factory reset, but that would be a waste if I will not get updates after restoring from the SD card.

rda990

Reaction score
I had to get a new droid...but i didnt want to lose my apps...so i downloaded (free) backup apps from the store...like Astro...Mybackup lite...and others...i restored with about all of them except MyBackup couldn't restore it since it was a new phone...so i had to buy the pro version if i wanted to restore apps...which i did but still wouldn't show in "Downloaded" section in the market...so i kept thinking of stuff and later somehow they all showed up...I honestly still don't know what app it was or if it even was an app.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread that there will not be automatic app updates if apps are restored from a SD card using Astro to backup apps. I asked a follow-up about using mybackup pro to backup apps, but no one replied. I was thinking of buying mybackup pro in case my Droid fails or I have to do a factory reset, but that would be a waste if I will not get updates after restoring from the SD card.

It sounds like a whole bunch of nonsense. The only way you won't get the update is if you root your droid and delete a certain file (don't know what it is, I don't root). Don't even worry about it.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I restored my apps from the sd card and wasn't getting updates. The only way to know for sure is by checking to see if the apps show up as "installed" in the Market. If so, they are recognized and they should update. If not, you'll have to manually install them like I had to regardless of whether you're rooted or not.

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I restored my apps from the sd card and wasn't getting updates. The only way to know for sure is by checking to see if the apps show up as "installed" in the Market. If so, they are recognized and they should update. If not, you'll have to manually install them like I had to regardless of whether you're rooted or not.

Which app did you use to backup and restore?

hughesjr

Reaction score
If an app is "Installed" from the market, and shows as "Installed" in the market, the market will tell you when there are updates.

If the app is not listed as installed in the market, then it will not tell you there is an update ... pretty simple.

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
If an app is "Installed" from the market, and shows as "Installed" in the market, the market will tell you when there are updates.

If the app is not listed as installed in the market, then it will not tell you there is an update ... pretty simple.

Yes, it is pretty simple, but I want to know if restored apps will show up BEFORE I buy MyBackup Pro and not buy it just to discover that it is useless to restore apps.

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can't guarantee that apps installed from the SD card that were once installed from the market, will generate update notifications.

apps installed as an .apk from the SD card will NOT generate update notifications as the market has not recognized your app since you did not use their process.

as long as you allow Google to backup your settings (home-settings-privacy-back up my settings), the market will automatically restore every app that you last had instsalled on your phone, should you ever need to replace your handset or do a factory restore..

i've done this enough times to verify that this works without fail.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you can't guarantee that apps installed from the SD card that were once installed from the market, will generate update notifications.

apps installed as an .apk from the SD card will NOT generate update notifications as the market has not recognized your app since you did not use their process.

as long as you allow Google to backup your settings (home-settings-privacy-back up my settings), the market will automatically restore every app that you last had instsalled on your phone, should you ever need to replace your handset or do a factory restore..

I thought the OP was referring to updates for their phone. I thought it was kind of a strange question, didn't even think they was talking about the apps themselves:confused:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It sounds like a whole bunch of nonsense. The only way you won't get the update is if you root your droid and delete a certain file (don't know what it is, I don't root). Don't even worry about it.

OP is talking apps not the OS as I believe you are referring to renaming the otacerts file....

Edit...Didn't see your other post bill....

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
OK, let me try again.

1. I buy MyBackup Pro to backup both my paid and free apps to the SD card.
2. My phone dies and I get a replacement or I need to do a factory reset.
3. I restore all of my apps from the SD card using MyBackup Pro.

Now the question:

Will I get automatic updates after I restore the apps from the SD card? If not, then it is useless for me to spend money on MyBackup Pro. I might as well just keep a list of all my free apps and reinstall them from the market.

Edit: Never mind. It looks like 640k answered my question.

Last edited:
OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Thank you for answering my question. I just checked and I have it set that way. I guess there is no point in buying MyBackup Pro.

Silver Member
Reaction score
if mybackup pro allows you to also save your settings, saved games, documents, etc., etc., it might be worth it. just because the app downloads and installs, doesn't mean that it's what it used to be.

gth5003

Reaction score
from my personal experiences, only paid apps will be backed up and free ones will not..........spent time with vzw and moto on this because i was under the impression that any app from you download would be backed up since your history is attached to your gmail account.

The Android market Hep even states "Note: Free applications are not saved to My Downloads after you remover them." i.e. get a new phone or do a factory reset.

Correct me if I am wrong and help me because i was forced to install my apps from my backup from the sd and have just setttled for not getting updates for now until I have time to reinstall every free app again from the market.