GREAT PHONE! Except the phone part, go figure...

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
Yeah, I am going to contact VZW (I ordered it from them via their website, so I guess I can take it to a store, not sure). In any case, in less than a month I have made this phone totally mine, apps, settings, look, feel, etc..

I dont suppose there is any easy way to 'export' all apps, settings, etc, to a new droid phone? Contacts and such are not a worry of mine, all those are on my exchange account.

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
Have you tried this already?

From this Thread
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/8142-verizon-tech-here-ask-away.html

- Improve Call Audio Quality (Doesn't seem to work if you have anything to do with Alltel!)
Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and act as if you were going to call that number.
Enter 000000 for the SPC Password and then tap Verify
Tap on "04 Vocode"
Tap on EVRC-B than Apply
Tap the Home Screen button and the phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
Explanation - This changes how the phone compresses and decompressed the call audio which improves the quality.

Like this? [video=youtube;J6Zyu-LeTes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zyu-LeTes[/video]

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Call quality is better than my old Voyager. No complaints at all from people I'm talking to.

mikes

Reaction score
Signal strength is good. I would say much better than my BB Storm...
Have you tried updating your PRLs? http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/8209-update-your-prls.html

The PRL only tells the phone which system IDs to use/prefer. It won't have any effect on call quality if you already have good signal. It can have an effect on roaming charges when traveling around the country, or allow the phone to connect to a better tower, if there are new roaming agreements which offer up more options (but that would only make a difference if you don't have a good signal to begin with).

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
i just tried out a headset (headphone-style) and the person on the other end could head me loud and clear... but only problem with that is that I could hear my own echo to the point of it being annoying

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
JamesX Rules, this fixed it for me.
Simple enough. Called my wife as a test and whispered lightly to her on the phone, she understood it all.

Have you tried this already?

From this Thread
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/8142-verizon-tech-here-ask-away.html

- Improve Call Audio Quality (Doesn't seem to work if you have anything to do with Alltel!)
Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and act as if you were going to call that number.
Enter 000000 for the SPC Password and then tap Verify
Tap on "04 Vocode"
Tap on EVRC-B than Apply
Tap the Home Screen button and the phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
Explanation - This changes how the phone compresses and decompressed the call audio which improves the quality.

mjs31

Reaction score
Does anyone else have more and more people you talk to on the phoen complain about call quality? I have had a xv6700 and xv6800 which werent all that great as far as call quality goes, but I never even had home phone service. Verizon IS my phone service. Now, with the Droid, people are unable to understand or hear me in locations I never had problems in the past, when they complain they cant hear me I instictively look at my bars... they are always full or 3 out of 4 bars.

I sometimes have to end up yelling and talking like an idiot for people to understand my conversation with them and it makes it not even worth using as a phone...

All other features of the 'phone' are awesome.

Anyone else had this experience and know any way to fix or improve upon it?
Thanks in advance

Wow...my call quality is great. Everyone says it is crystal clear and I have left voicemails just to check it out.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have more and more people you talk to on the phoen complain about call quality? I have had a xv6700 and xv6800 which werent all that great as far as call quality goes, but I never even had home phone service. Verizon IS my phone service. Now, with the Droid, people are unable to understand or hear me in locations I never had problems in the past, when they complain they cant hear me I instictively look at my bars... they are always full or 3 out of 4 bars.

I sometimes have to end up yelling and talking like an idiot for people to understand my conversation with them and it makes it not even worth using as a phone...

Thanks in advance

Wow...my call quality is great. Everyone says it is crystal clear and I have left voicemails just to check it out.
Call quality seems great for me, the only complaint I got was from my mom but that doesn't count because she practically deaf (and blame me for speaking too low even though everyone else can hear me fine :\ )

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
Well I am back to square one. Even with the changes suggesed in this thread, people still complain they cant hear me.. its a joke when I am in a store and YELLING into my phone so people can hear me

Thanks in advance

Call quality seems great for me, the only complaint I got was from my mom but that doesn't count because she practically deaf (and blame me for speaking too low even though everyone else can hear me fine :\ )

Silver Member
Reaction score
have you tried exchanging it?

Would be my last resort.. in my experience they just hand you off another droid that was returned.
if you're in your 30, they have to give you a new one. if you end up with a refurb, you would be able to make a case that the refurb has enough problems that you want a new one.

my wife pratically whispers in her phone and people can hear her just fine.

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
have you tried exchanging it?

Would be my last resort.. in my experience they just hand you off another droid that was returned.
if you're in your 30, they have to give you a new one. if you end up with a refurb, you would be able to make a case that the refurb has enough problems that you want a new one.

my wife pratically whispers in her phone and people can hear her just fine.

Thats the thing, after I did that fix everyone suggests (going into programming mode or whatever) I called my wife (also on verizon) and WHISPERED in the phone and she heard every word... a few calls later, the next day, the issue came back, and it isnt every call... it seems like one out of every 3 or 4 calls... am wondering if its an app i am running causing it... am disabling them one by one to find out.