GREAT PHONE! Except the phone part, go figure...

btotheoomer

Reaction score
Positioning

I noticed whenever i hold my phone to my head with my shoulder I have problems. I deduced that if I cover the phone completely with any part of my body that the sound quality is terrible, but if I hold it normally with my hand it's normal. Weird, huh?

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would be my last resort.. in my experience they just hand you off another droid that was returned.
if you're in your 30, they have to give you a new one. if you end up with a refurb, you would be able to make a case that the refurb has enough problems that you want a new one.

my wife pratically whispers in her phone and people can hear her just fine.

Thats the thing, after I did that fix everyone suggests (going into programming mode or whatever) I called my wife (also on verizon) and WHISPERED in the phone and she heard every word... a few calls later, the next day, the issue came back, and it isnt every call... it seems like one out of every 3 or 4 calls... am wondering if its an app i am running causing it... am disabling them one by one to find out.
you could try safe mode, which disables all apps, escept the OS. alot of it may have to do with how you hold the phone and i'm wondering if it has to do with coverage too. i had a lady at a restaurant tell me i sounded like a robot when i had the phone under my chin.

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
I do think my issue is solved...
I suspected it could be an app that runs sometimes in the background, but not all the time (as half my calls were clear and the other half were not).
My first suspect was Instamapper.
great app. it defaults to sending out a gps signla every 5 seconds. On your account via a desktop comptuer or laptop, you can look at a google map of all the places your phone as been, should it be lost or stolen.
I felt 5 seconds was too much and my battery would rain so I set it to call out every 20 minutes.
I suspected that my messed up calls were when instamapper was sending out a GPS signal and reporting to my account my location. So I removed it. That was about 2 weeks ago and luckily my phone not only has not been stolen or lost, but I have had no complaints of hard-to-understand calls.

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
was talking to my wife on my droid the other day, was holding it against my shoulder, she complained i was muffled again... i held the phone with my hand, and it got better... is there something on the camera lens that is needed for callers to hear me???

rp683

Reaction score
try this... i shut off the GPS feature and it's been ok for a few days now... not sure if its a coincidence or not.

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
Since uninstalling instamapper, no odd phone quality issues...
one thing I have noticed, as I said above is NO ONE can hear me if I hold the phone on my left shoulder. Maybe a chiropractor designed this phone and knew how bad that was for your neck so he made it so the phone cant be used when you do that, I dont know, but how on earth would holding the phone on my shoulder affect sound quality? People cant hear me talk at all when I do that. Is there some rouge sensor on the back of the phone needed for the other party to hear you talk?

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
Dude, this is happening to me too, extremely odd... never had a phone do that.

gentlefury

Reaction score
mobile defense is way better anyway you can track your phone in real time and it lays dormant until you activate it via the website.

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
mobile defense is way better anyway you can track your phone in real time and it lays dormant until you activate it via the website.

Yeah, if you dont mind the GPS being on... all..the...time... great way for your phones battery to last all of 2 hours. I prefer a solution that allows me to send a message that activates my GPS, or allows me to control how often the GPS "phones home"... instamapper I had it calling out every 20 minutes...

OP
J

jaystemple

Reaction score
Well. I caved. I called VZW. They sent me a "New" phone (not really new, but looked new and works new to me) and have had NO voice call issues. Must have really been an issue with mine.

If you are finding this thread searching for a solution to your issue, there isn't once. Call Verizon and get a replacement.

They called my Droid during the call to hear the quality and said I sounded like an old man.