GPS and UD8?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im noticing a long lag getting a GPS lock since changing over to UD 8. Most times I can show 6-8 satellites, but still take 3-5 minutes to lock on any of them. Indoors or outside, it doesn't make a difference. I'm ready to wipe and reinstall, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else is having problems.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been having the same issue. I would like to chalk it up to the new release of Google Maps, but the problem started before the Google update. Maybe if others will come forward BD will have an update to fix the lag time issue.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just opened my Maps and it found the VZW tower which is located about 2 miles from my house then accesses a satellite and moved to my home. My Maps has always worked that way. I'm curious how you are able "show" how many satellites your phone is accessing?

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike, download GPS status from the marketplace. It gives you more information than you will ever want to know about your phone anymore. Most of us use it for the "radar" feature while geocaching.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob! I had not know about GPS status.

Mike

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mike, did you install it yet? Like Bob says, the radar feature is a must have for those of use who like to geocache (c:geo is the best geocache app).....just ask Bob!

Reaction score
my gps also takes a considerably longer amount of time to get a gps lock, ever since updating to UD8

jwalletmd

Reaction score
Noticed the same problem....glad to hear I'm not the only one...

Droidemz

Reaction score
I noticed this too, I tried mapping a route for directions and it showed me the step by step, but never located a GPS and just kept searching..never did find the route.

markwebb

Reaction score
I had a strange issue today and don't know if it is UD8 or newest version of Maps related. I mapped my route to work today and the location kept mapping me in a neighboring state and different road! I would back out of Maps and then it would display correctly, but stall, and then show the wrong location again. Very strange.

jive495

Reaction score
I had this problem too, as well as some others. My web browser became all but useless but I chalk that up to having all but no data connection anywhere I went after I installed UD8. I wanted to make sure it was the rom so I reinstalled a backup prior to UD8 and my phone went back to working perfectly, in all the same locations I was having problems in prior. It really sucks cause I loved the look and all the features of UD8.

Just for the record Im running UD Froyo Extreme (RC2).

bigfootinindiana

Reaction score
FWIW I dont think its related to UD8 as it started for me on UD7 last week before I DL'd the latest maps update. Still couldn't pinpoint my location even after the market update so i went to clear the app data and a reboot fixed it. Hasn't happened to me on UD8 yet, but I just installed it yesterday.

Silentknyght

Reaction score
I noticed this too, I tried mapping a route for directions and it showed me the step by step, but never located a GPS and just kept searching..never did find the route.

FWIW, I've been having a lot of problems getting a GPS lock--just like the examples described in these posts--and I was running BB0.4 until yesterday. I don't think it's UD-related.

stedrocklp

Reaction score
I notice that right after I load a new version/rom it does take a little while for gps to lock on to my location. Also whenever I have any issues with google maps not finding my location I also use GPS Status to see where Im at. I believe just like using a portable gps in your car, if you move away from where you last had a gps "lock" it may take take longer as it is looking for the same satelites you were locked onto previously. I use many apps that have gps; G Maps, GPS Status, Speed View, Torque etc.... all of which seem to get a lock in a reasonable amount of time. The last thing to consider is movement. If you are driving along before gps is locked in it will take considerably longer for you to get locked in due to the ever changing satelites in view. All in all gps has worked as expected for me with UD8.