Google Playing Favorites With Verizon and Motorola?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol....That also shows the popularity of the Droid 1. Some folks think that was the first Android phone on the major carriers. The first Android phone I ever head of was the Droid 1.

mcjonesy

Reaction score
"ie" means "in example", not necessarily those as preference. you're reading to much into their choice of examples.

that said, it really wouldn't suprise me either, but you shouldn't be basing an assumption based on an "ie"

e.g. means "for example". i.e. means "that is". They are very, very different.

So, really you SHOULD be basing an assumption on an "i.e." because the memo says (paraphrased) "Our preferred vendors are Motorola and Verizon."

No real surprise here, though. Especially with Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
lol....That also shows the popularity of the Droid 1. Some folks think that was the first Android phone on the major carriers. The first Android phone I ever head of was the Droid 1.

Good point... However, even though many do not like T-Mobile (for various reasons); Kudos to them for gaining enough steam with the Dream (G1) to catch Verizon's eye and make them reconsider Android. Probably the smartest move that Verizon ever made and the D1!? Most certainly the phone that brought Moto back from the brink. Having said that....... I'm getting concerned about the phone quality over all from Motorola. We have the DX2 with lag and re-draw issues and now (from the video reviews) there is the Bionic with noticeable lag as well (IMO). Now, Many will say that can be fixed with a custom ROM and I agree but, one would think that a phone company would want to release a silky smooth phone without the need of a custom ROM. To me; it certainly has influence in a purchase.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good point... However, even though many do not like T-Mobile (for various reasons); Kudos to them for gaining enough steam with the Dream (G1) to catch Verizon's eye and make them reconsider Android. Probably the smartest move that Verizon ever made and the D1!? Most certainly the phone that brought Moto back from the brink. Having said that....... I'm getting concerned about the phone quality over all from Motorola. We have the DX2 with lag and re-draw issues and now (from the video reviews) there is the Bionic with noticeable lag as well (IMO). Now, Many will say that can be fixed with a custom ROM and I agree but, one would think that a phone company would want to release a silky smooth phone without the need of a custom ROM. To me; it certainly has influence in a purchase.

I agree on the Bionic lag, definitely noticeable on the videos, and that's after 9 months of Moto working on the phone to make it better. Kinda opens your eyes to how important hardware/software integration really is.

I'm still hoping it's just Motos overlay that's poorly done and throwing LauncherPro on it will eliminate the homescreen lag at least. But we'll see...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I looked at this video somewhat ....and I dont really see the lag yall mention. Even other videos, the handful thats popping up now...I dont see this lag. Could someone point out where they are in this video?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I looked at this video somewhat ....and I dont really see the lag yall mention. Even other videos, the handful thats popping up now...I dont see this lag. Could someone point out where they are in this video?

It's when he's using the camera and when he's scrolling through lists and some homescreen lag. He mentions it himself in the video that there's "more lag then I would have liked" or something to that effect. If you watch it the whole way, you'll see it and its obvious

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
It's when he's using the camera and when he's scrolling through lists and some homescreen lag. He mentions it himself in the video that there's "more lag then I would have liked" or something to that effect. If you watch it the whole way, you'll see it and its obvious
Aye! what he said. Granted; it could certainly be due to Blur. Nobody has ever liked blur for those reasons but, with this kind of Horsepower; still don't think it should happen.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Aye! what he said. Granted; it could certainly be due to Blur. Nobody has ever liked blur for those reasons but, with this kind of Horsepower; still don't think it should happen.

Yeah on paper these specs are beastly, that's why I was surprised there is so much lag. I'm still interested in the phone, but definitely going to wait till someone puts out an in-depth review to make the final decision.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Yeah on paper these specs are beastly, that's why I was surprised there is so much lag. I'm still interested in the phone, but definitely going to wait till someone puts out an in-depth review to make the final decision.
You waited long enough for the Bionic, why not wait until the Vigor and Primes are out. Then you can make a better decision.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score

I think Verizon took a cue from Apple on that. The Droid marketing was unreal. Amazed they made a profit off that device at all considering what they must have spent marketing it. My first android rom was on my HTC Kaiser, which was a WinMo phone. I booted Donut off my SD card. Those were the days. But yeah, Droid was the first time I took android serious. Was debating on a Touch Pro 2, or a Droid. Glad I made the right choice.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
You waited long enough for the Bionic, why not wait until the Vigor and Primes are out. Then you can make a better decision.

haha i know...i would have no problem waiting if my D1 wasn't going bezerk...one month is an eternity when your phone doesnt work correctly. The Prime sounds great, I just wish we had more concrete proof of its specs...regardless i guess it'll be a minimum of 2-3 weeks before i get the bionic if i do, so maybe more news will come out in that time and i'm stuck with the D1 till then anyway...

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
haha i know...i would have no problem waiting if my D1 wasn't going bezerk...one month is an eternity when your phone doesnt work correctly. The Prime sounds great, I just wish we had more concrete proof of its specs...regardless i guess it'll be a minimum of 2-3 weeks before i get the bionic if i do, so maybe more news will come out in that time and i'm stuck with the D1 till then anyway...

Figure on the long end of what you said about being able to get a phone.... 3 weeks. Add another 3 and we should be seeing the Prime and Vigor out as well. Have you tried to go through the whole RSD lite thing!? I was having weird issues with my D1 and I just totally nuked the phone and re-rooted manually. I went straight from my stock root file (2.01) and installed steel droid. seems fine now.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Figure on the long end of what you said about being able to get a phone.... 3 weeks. Add another 3 and we should be seeing the Prime and Vigor out as well. Have you tried to go through the whole RSD lite thing!? I was having weird issues with my D1 and I just totally nuked the phone and re-rooted manually. I went straight from my stock root file (2.01) and installed steel droid. seems fine now.

Yep I've done it all...sbfd, flashed another rom, cleared cache, run supercharger script, even uninstalled 30 apps haha...my D1 has the two week syndrome where everything is ok for 2 weeks and then it becomes unusable without erasing everything and starting over for another two weeks. pretty annoying. As for waiting for 3 weeks, its only cuz I like to see what people are saying before buying, but you're right, since I planned on waiting anyway, it's probably smarter to wait till we get some more official announcements...and as Trusstopher mentioned, worse comes to worst I'll have the Bionic at a lower price haha

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Yep. Think that's a good call there Trustopher..... Always better to pay less than to pay more.

Last thing I can offer up for your D1 CZerdrill is; IF you are over clocked; try dropping the speed down a bit. My D1 was about a 2 week phone @ 1Ghz and over. My sweet spot seems to be 900Mhz. It ight help ya or it might not. Worth a shot though.

Sorry. was not my intention to bring this OT... as you were.