Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

jjhiza

Reaction score
Aayoo, sorry to disagree, but using diversity to obtain market share is a fairly elementary econimic and financial practice, so yes, doing so equates to victory on a lot of fronts. The Android accounts for roughly 30% of the market, Windows Phone, about 7%, RIM around 3%, Apple 45%, and others (like Nokia) rounding out the group. Considering Android grew by nearly 400% over the last year, it makes sense that Google has gone in search of added protection for its IP, and it's found it in the form of Moto and the patents it holds. These patents can be used to hedge against Apple's agression, and ensure the survival of the Android platform in general. All Android device manufacturers are indebted to Google today, as they've proven that Android and its partners will be fought for, tooth and nail.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think Google should buyout rim. Thats a whole lot of patents and im sure goog can get it cheaper considering rim lately. smartness.

jjhiza

Reaction score
Not so sure about RIM…they're a dying company, with little innovation, and declining market share. From a purely economic standpoint, RIM is toxic. That said, I actually wouldn't mind seeing it, IF Google could get it cheap enough. RIM has a lot of bright people over there; they're simply being marginalized by Android and Apple. Also, the one thing I would have thought RIM had covered was the Blackberry form factor, but the Droid Pro launched (not very successfully I might add), looked exactly like the BB Curve, and RIM did nothing… If Google bought RIM, you'd see the company disolved, with a portion of the Blackberry technology making its way to the Android OS, in order to make it a complete business and entertainment platform. Sounds like a win to me! :)

cardinal82

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think Google wouldn't necessarily try to put the squeeze on Verizon right away, but rather get Moto to build the best phones possible with vanilla Android and if it sells well enough then that would give them some leverage to dictate terms and possibly even convince some of the other manufacturers that vanilla Android or the ability to make the phone vanilla Android is the way to go. Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

Cipherr

Reaction score
Aayoo, sorry to disagree, but using diversity to obtain market share is a fairly elementary econimic and financial practice, so yes, doing so equates to victory on a lot of fronts. The Android accounts for roughly 30% of the market, Windows Phone, about 7%, RIM around 3%, Apple 45%, and others (like Nokia) rounding out the group. Considering Android grew by nearly 400% over the last year, it makes sense that Google has gone in search of added protection for its IP, and it's found it in the form of Moto and the patents it holds. These patents can be used to hedge against Apple's agression, and ensure the survival of the Android platform in general. All Android device manufacturers are indebted to Google today, as they've proven that Android and its partners will be fought for, tooth and nail. Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
Yep. I mean, I guess this all just feels so familiar to me. Once upon a time Macs were considered >>>>>> PC's way back when too. But then came this thing called Windows which could run on all these other manufacturers hardware, and sure individually at first perhaps they didn't overtake Macs, but the market share shifted, and now Mac is 15% the market. Small enough to almost be considered niche. Apple insists on their proprietary nature, it makes tons of money, but man oh man does it ever have a short lifespan for being 'dominant' so long as there is a hungry and capable competitor (or copier) willing to put their backs into it.

aayoo

Reaction score
Aayoo, sorry to disagree, but using diversity to obtain market share is a fairly elementary econimic and financial practice, so yes, doing so equates to victory on a lot of fronts. The Android accounts for roughly 30% of the market, Windows Phone, about 7%, RIM around 3%, Apple 45%, and others (like Nokia) rounding out the group. Considering Android grew by nearly 400% over the last year, it makes sense that Google has gone in search of added protection for its IP, and it's found it in the form of Moto and the patents it holds. These patents can be used to hedge against Apple's agression, and ensure the survival of the Android platform in general. All Android device manufacturers are indebted to Google today, as they've proven that Android and its partners will be fought for, tooth and nail.

Apple wouldn't be taking legal action if they didn't have a basis for doing so. Why invest in patents, if you have no plans to act when they're infringed upon. Android's gains as a platform are nothing short of remarkable, but it's not hard to move units when you're offering buy 1 get 1 free smartphones. The majority of android consumers do not have top tier devices.

Markster1

Reaction score
Apple wouldn't be taking legal action if they didn't have a basis for doing so. Why invest in patents, if you have no plans to act when they're infringed upon. Android's gains as a platform are nothing short of remarkable, but it's not hard to move units when you're offering buy 1 get 1 free smartphones. The majority of android consumers do not have top tier devices.

Are you saying an iphone is a top tier device? Besides the screen and camera on the iphone my incred 2 offers way more than apple does.

Sent from my Incredible 2

Beardface

Reaction score
Are you saying an iphone is a top tier device? Besides the screen and camera on the iphone my incred 2 offers way more than apple does.

Just because the phone doesn't have the hardware specs that the Android phones have doesn't mean it isn't top tier. The big thing that Apple has going for it is that EVERY app that is released on the market is required to run flawlessly with EVERY current iPhone/iPod Touch on the market. The same simply cannot be said for any Android device.

For that reason alone, I would say the iPhone is a top tier device.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i can't understand how people try to deny that the iPhone is a top-tier device. I mean preference is one thing, but just downright hating on the product for no reason makes no sense. of course iPhone is top tier...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
i can't understand how people try to deny that the iPhone is a top-tier device. I mean preference is one thing, but just downright hating on the product for no reason makes no sense. of course iPhone is top tier...

Hatred blinds any hope of a logistical or rational thought coming through.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Markster1

Reaction score
I didn't say iphone wasn't top tier, I'm just saying I think my incred 2 has it beat except for the display and camera.

I own 2 ipods, 1 ipad, my wife has the iphone 4, I like apple, I just think my htc phone has them beat hence why I'm using one.

Markster1

Reaction score
Maybe what I should have asked was, do you think my incredible 2 is not a top tier device? Its certainly not flagship but outstanding nonetheless.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe what I should have asked was, do you think my incredible 2 is not a top tier device? Its certainly not flagship but outstanding nonetheless.

I think the point was that of the 70 plus android handsets or whatever the number is, only a handful or top tier. I mean I consider my D1 top tier still but that's just me in denial, haha.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.