Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

EFGantry

Reaction score
i may not end up being correct, but i wouldn't call my thinking "backward." considering how well Moto phones sell for vzw, and how well Andy devices sell for vzw, do you really think they hold ALL of the chips?! what if Google said, "ok, we're not gonna let you sell any Moto phones. and, we're not going to extend Andy licenses to HTC and Sammy for any Andy devices on vzw - just at&t, t-mo, and sprint." now, i know that would never happen, because it's neither beneficial to Google or VZW. but, i don't think it's accurate for you to say that VZW will be able to stick to it's "take it or leave it" attitude. the bargaining power has swayed, and both sides will have to give...

dang no 'edit' button...

maybe that means that most Moto devices will have a locked bootloader, but Nexus devices on vzw won't. or, maybe it means that Moto devices will still be locked, but vzw will allow them to be unlockable by customer choice.

EFGantry

Reaction score
If you don't think Apple would have a massive boom to their market numbers if Andy left Verizon, you're fooling yourself. Yes, Android is very popular, but that has A LOT to do with the fact you can get a ton of the devices on the very cheap and at extreme discount prices due to the market being flooded with them. Apple will always sell. Verizon would get by just fine without Android.

If you are wondering who needs who more, Android or Verizon... Android needs Verizon a whole lot more than Verizon needs Android.

agree to disagree, i guess. given the millions of Andy OS activations every day, i find it hard to believe VZW would just turn its back on Andy, and put all its eggs in Apple's basket (so to speak). this is especially true, given Andy's share of the market. VZW might be able to keep some, by convincing them to switch to the iP, but it would lose an awful lot of customers. VZW is dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

Markster1

Reaction score
The simple fact that Apple is now on Verizon completely eliminates the chips that Google and Moto would have. In the past, if Moto wanted to take a hard stance pre-Apple, it might have worked, but lets be honest. Verizon knows that if they want to take a hardline stance with either Apple or Google, they can, especially Google. Verizon would not care as much as you think they would if they lost Android, because they know a far majority of their subscribers would simply move to Apple if it happened.

Apple could afford to play hardball with Verizon, because Apple was not only a name in the smartphone industry, but they were THE name. People will buy anything with an Apple logo on it, regardless of price, and VZN knew that and wanted to take advantage of it. Google does not have that kind of leverage, and likely never will, because their devices are just too fragmented and the loyalties to brand are far too splintered.

I disagree, while Apple turned the cellphone market on its head back when it's now android doing the same now.

They are not as powerless as you lead on.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing is for certain though, it will be Google and Apple fighting the final battle of the apocalypse, we can all agree on that much right?

Mirodd

Reaction score
I disagree, while Apple turned the cellphone market on its head back when it's now android doing the same now.

They are not as powerless as you lead on.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab
Android is a force as a platform, but as single device, the iPhone outsells every device out there. Collectively Android is a strong, but as one phone, I don't think it would be this successful.

aayoo

Reaction score
Android is a force as a platform, but as single device, the iPhone outsells every device out there. Collectively Android is a strong, but as one phone, I don't think it would be this successful.

If dominating marketshare through multiple manufacturers offering numerous devices covering low, mid, and high level tiers is your idea of victory, then crown android the victor.

Now if you're in the business of making money and maximizing your profits, it's no contest that apple is clearly the dominant. There's no single android device that can match the popularity an iPhone generates. It's been the top-selling smartphone since it's arrival in february on Verizon, and IP4 and 3GS hold the top spots on AT&T. Samsung tries with it's touchwiz iOS knockoff ui, super-amoled almost but but not quite retina display, and overall design without the build quality.

I was an android loyalist for 2 years OG Droid to DX, rooted and rom'ed out to the point of boredom. I knew the OS inside out and tweaked the nuts off the framework. I needed a change of scenary.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I understand the fact that carrier's decide whether or not a phone is locked down or not. But with Google now owning Motorola, Google has a bigger influence on what happens with Moto devices. Motorola phones may still have a locked bootloader, but that doesn't mean it has to be encrypted like they've been doing. HTC bootloaders are locked but not encrypted, and they still have custom roms and kernels. I only hope that because of this, Moto phones will stop having encrypted bloaders or they do something like HTC is doing now, and send people who want to unlock it, a special OTA. If Verizon lets HTC do it, why can't Moto?

Cipherr

Reaction score
But that's the part that makes no sense. Why do people just think that Google isn't going to play the game the same way? It's defense when Google does it
Stop right there. You see this is where your problem is. Right here you veer off of facts and into fortune telling and assumptions. The fact is Google HAS NOT done it. They have NOT attacked competition with patents wars BS like Apple has. You keep trying to slip that "But when google does it, noone care's" in there like your making a point, but your not, because it hasnt EVER HAPPENED. When Google is trying to squeeze the competition going on the offensive with patent wars like Apple already is, then you can come back here and try this argument, right now your entire point is build on sand.

jjhiza

Reaction score
Ok, those of you who are old enough, will remember that this exact same thing happened between Apple and Microsoft some 20 odd years ago. Apple was on top of the world with their proprietary OS and software, until Microsoft pulled the rug out from under them, by offering Windows to multiple manufacturers. Apple played the patent card then too, lost, and the company collapsed, and they're primed to repeat history once again. Don't get me wrong, Apple makes great quality products, but their proprietary framework and lack of flexibility are their achillies heel. I don't think people are up in arms about the quality of Apple's products, but rather the fact that the company has had years to pull the patent trigger on HTC and others; they didn't do so because they still had rising market share, but, as of last year, Android gained about 25% (up to about 33% total I believe) market share, and Apple, feeling threatened, played the only card in its hand. It's an underhanded move, and one that's directly aimed at crippling Google's ventures in cellular technology. So yes, Google's acquisition of Moto and its pattents makes a lot of sense, in order to protect the Android franchise as a whole.

Outside of that, a lot of people seem to be disagreeing as to who has the upper hand, Google or carriers like Verizon. My short answer is Google. The reason being…go into any cell store, Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T, and what do you see? Android devices, wall to wall, with Apple products tucked into a lone corner. It stands to reason that, if carriers get an ultimatum from Google, they'll have to comply, or risk losing 90% of their inventory. Does anyone think that VZW could survive without Android devices?! They'd be stuck with iPhones, and pre-paid Nokia devices. I contend that, because Verizon and other carriers have gotten in so deep with Android, they have almost zero leverage in negotiations, IF it ever came down to that. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but don't think for a second that the "suits" at the offices of the Big 3, aren't losing sleep over what a deal like this could mean for them and their bottom lines…

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Cipherr

Reaction score
If dominating marketshare through multiple manufacturers offering numerous devices covering low, mid, and high level tiers is your idea of victory, then crown android the victor.
It most certainly is victory. Massive victory, and that victory becomes colossal when the context of how quickly it happened is put into the equation. And the more context you add, including Apples sudden and desperate clawing to find ways to attack said competitor, the larger that victor gets. Then statistically you see that the market share for the Android market continues to consistently gain ground, after already having taken the majority of the marketshare, and anyone decent education can tell you that it is very significant indeed. If you are expecting the fact that Android offers more hardware manufacturers and multiple price tiers of entry to appeal to more customers than not, as a NEGATIVE, then someone needs to strangle your economics teacher.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I agree. If google pulls phones from verizon I'll no longer be interested in a data plan with verizon...even if it is unlimited. I'd rather have an android on sprint than an iphone from verizon.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stop right there. You see this is where your problem is. Right here you veer off of facts and into fortune telling and assumptions. The fact is Google HAS NOT done it. They have NOT attacked competition with patents wars BS like Apple has. You keep trying to slip that "But when google does it, noone care's" in there like your making a point, but your not, because it hasnt EVER HAPPENED. When Google is trying to squeeze the competition going on the offensive with patent wars like Apple already is, then you can come back here and try this argument, right now your entire point is build on sand.

How is your argument not built on sand? If you're saying I'm wrong because google has never done it, can you name a time when google looked the other way when someone infringed on their IP? You're right I don't know if they'll do it, I'm just using logic.

Why would they look the other way if someone willfully infringed on one of their patents?