Google Playing Favorites With Verizon and Motorola?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
googlefav.png

This news that Google is playing favorites does not come as much of a surprise. Thanks to some legal fillings we now know that Google prefers to give over the latest versions of Android to Motorola and Verizon before even talking to their other partners. The reason for this love towards Motorola and Verizon is because devices that go that route usually follow the rules set by Google, rules similar to what Microsoft sets for WP7 except not required. So essentially, if you want to get access to the latest version of Android, you have to build your hardware and software to the specifications set by Google.
"Give early access to the software to partners who build and distribute devices to our specification (ie, Motorola and Verizon). They get a non-contractual time to market advantage and in return they align to our standard."

Does this news shock anyone in the room?

Via: Androidcentral

Last edited by a moderator:

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Hmm, I partially understand this. Does this mean Moto devices will now be open and unlocked? Sounds good, as long as other manufactures don't start leaving because of this...

Eric18

Reaction score
Well its understandable since Motorola and Verizon were the first to have Andy on there market:happy:

sarreq

Reaction score
"ie" means "in example", not necessarily those as preference. you're reading to much into their choice of examples.

that said, it really wouldn't suprise me either, but you shouldn't be basing an assumption based on an "ie"

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Well its understandable since Motorola and Verizon were the first to have Andy on there market:happy:

I'm not sure that is a true statement. Google worked with HTC to release the dream for T-Mobile back in 2008. Moto and Verizon did not release an Android phone until the D1 back in 2009 (holy Crap! I've had my phone that long!?!?).

It stands to reason that since Google now owns Motorola and that Verizon has the largest customer base; they would go this route. How this will play out certainly remains to be seen though. I guess we'll all just have to stay tuned.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Bombshell That Wasn’t: FOSS Patents’ Android Scoop Misses The Mark | TechCrunch

Thing is, there wasn’t any doubt that Google “plays favorites” with certain Android OEMs. It has done this with the Motorola Droid, the Nexus One (made by HTC), the Nexus S (made by Samsung), and the Motorola Xoom. Android chief Andy Rubin has openly spoken about the lead device program in interviews, and the Android team describes it in a video about the creation of the Nexus S, in which they discuss how they “develop a lead device with a manufacturer”. Even the blog post announcing the Nexus S talks about this:

“Nexus S is the lead device for the Gingerbread/Android 2.3 release; it’s the first Android device to ship with the new version of the Android platform. We co-developed this product with Samsung—ensuring tight integration of hardware and software to highlight the latest advancements of the Android platform.”
Google uses these lead devices as a way to keep the Android ecosystem moving forward (other OEMs quickly integrate the latest features, otherwise they fall behind). And Google can use the lead devices as a carrot — should an OEM do something Google deems hurtful to the Android ecosystem, they probably won’t be getting a lead device any time soon.

So if they use Motorola next....even tho they already used the Xoom and to a certain extent the Droid 1....that spells doom for the rest of the OEM's cuz they are trying to buy Motorola? They wont care about the other OEM.s..and yet:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...patents-now-being-used-against-apple-htc.html

HTC paid for them last I read, but still its some ammo to try to help their case.

Like I said before.....whichever side you agree with....there is always a way to spin it....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
"ie" means "in example", not necessarily those as preference. you're reading to much into their choice of examples.

that said, it really wouldn't suprise me either, but you shouldn't be basing an assumption based on an "ie"

Ie actually means "id est" Latin for "that is". So has a little different meaning then "in example"

destin246

Reaction score
Why wouldnt they pick favor towards verizon there the top carrier it makes sense

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Emmm, no that's not correct. T-Mobile was the first. Verizon originally said no to Android on their network. T-Mobile released the G1 and then Verizon reconsidered.

jseah

Reaction score
Emmm, no that's not correct. T-Mobile was the first. Verizon originally said no to Android on their network. T-Mobile released the G1 and then Verizon reconsidered.

Although comparing Android 1.5 to Android 2.0 is like comparing Windows 3.0 and Windows 95.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Bombshell That Wasn’t: FOSS Patents’ Android Scoop Misses The Mark | TechCrunch

So if they use Motorola next....even tho they already used the Xoom and to a certain extent the Droid 1....that spells doom for the rest of the OEM's cuz they are trying to buy Motorola? They wont care about the other OEM.s..and yet:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...patents-now-being-used-against-apple-htc.html

HTC paid for them last I read, but still its some ammo to try to help their case.

Like I said before.....whichever side you agree with....there is always a way to spin it....

I think you have found a second quote for your Sig...