Google Maps Update 4.2.0

JCo352

Reaction score
For people having problems, you know you can uninstall updates right?

Droid_2010

Reaction score
Running a backup now before install and I'll report how it goes after the update.

I'm wanting to upgrade also but would like a means to backup my current config.(Have this issue with other updates also) What app are you using if you don't mind me asking?

JCo352 said:

It's probably right under my nose, but how do you do it?

joeymoose

Reaction score
Updated Google Maps

Main points

-Bike routes

-Turn by turn navigation icon in app drawer

-Location sharing via text, email, etc.

To Share Location

Inside of message press MENU > ATTACH > LOCATION

(Once thats done you might have to press MENU > Location so it can pin point your exact spot. If not you will ahve to manually do it)

After installing update reboot phone to get turn by turn nav icon in app drawer

JCo352

Reaction score
Running a backup now before install and I'll report how it goes after the update.

I'm wanting to upgrade also but would like a means to backup my current config.(Have this issue with other updates also) What app are you using if you don't mind me asking?

JCo352 said:

It's probably right under my nose, but how do you do it?

You can use Astro or EStrongs File explorer, and back an app up that way. OR you can just update maps, and if you don't like it go to settings>applications>manage applications>filter>all>maps>uninstall updates. Now that doesn't work for all apps, but Maps is one it will work for.

jeffe65

Reaction score
So far, so good here in Phoenix. Pinch to zoom is good, and I put it in satellite mode and walked around home. Near as I can tell, it's off by about three feet. I think I can live with that. Tried it with and without WiFi.

btw - If you're looking for a way to go back to your previous version, I use AppMonster; works great for me, and has helped me troubleshoot a couple of times. It saves old versions of all your apps, unless they're "protected." I'm sure there are others out there, but this one works well.

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score
Ok so I noticed for a moment that it lost it's accuracy for a moment after opening the update. However I just held the phone in my hand and spun around for a few times and it fixed it practically instantly. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Navigation App it gives you for search. Finally getting around to making this thing perfect! dancedroid

I am indoors right now and fired up GPS and the map. Within 3 seconds it had me about 30 feet from where I'm at.

Went outside, I'd guess it was 6 feet off. This was a 10 second test. I used My Tracks (Map plus tracking) a few days ago and it was spot on.

Zone99

Reaction score
installing?

Anyone having trouble installing the update??

I went to update and it told me my phone had no storage space available even though I had 20MB left.

I uninstalled some apps again and it still wouldn't download.

I finally uninstalled updates and returned to 4.0.0 and still, no download.

Did they pull it?

fireman27c

Reaction score
I'm getting a 'download unsuccessful', both from 3G and wifi. I'm starting to think its a Market problem...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Malkavian

Reaction score
installing

I as well am having difficulty installing the update. It tells me there is one but the download was unsuccessful.

Either the servers are overloaded or Google has pulled the updated for tweaking and will put it back later. Who knows.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Michael

masiv

Reaction score
Have the same problem as others, download unsuccessful.

Love how the currently installed version was removed prior to the download, now I'm stuck without Google Maps becasue I cannot get the new version to download.

Maybe it's a blessing. The last update caused my Droid to never find GPS satellites... Other apps that depend on GPS are working fine.

EDIT: I was wrong. Did not remove the old version. But when trying to use navigaion, it just sits at "Searching for GPS". It will give me directions, but the navigation does not work.

tameone

Reaction score
Google broke zooming. You can't actually zoom in on the map anymore, you can only scroll through a series of pictures that are zoomed to different levels.

This is why sometimes it seems like the app has momentum when zooming, or why it sometimes zooms back out a little bit when you stop pinch zooming. If you zoom to a level thats between two of the pre-zoomed pictures, you're sent forward or back.

Anyone have an astro backup of 4.1.x? I was unable to uninstall this update and now I'm stuck with 4.2.