google maps update!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
This happens in a couple of situations. If you have GPS turned off or it hasn't yet located a sufficient number of satellites to locate you specifically, it will use either the nearest cell tower (with a big blue circle) or the GPS info it has managed to snag to give a less than precise location (again with the blue circle.)
I've had instances where it was just "stuck" as well. GPS Status would indicate that it could find plenty of satellites but that it couldn't get a lock on any of them.

mantis5

Reaction score
The latest version of maps seems to have more difficulty locating me than previous versions. Last night as I was sitting in front of this computer, it showed me moving down the street outside. It used to be very accurate.

I've only had this version since yesterday, though, so maybe it was just having a bad night. We'll see.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This happens in a couple of situations. If you have GPS turned off or it hasn't yet located a sufficient number of satellites to locate you specifically, it will use either the nearest cell tower (with a big blue circle) or the GPS info it has managed to snag to give a less than precise location (again with the blue circle.)
I've had instances where it was just "stuck" as well. GPS Status would indicate that it could find plenty of satellites but that it couldn't get a lock on any of them.

From your other posts, I know you realize that technology doesn't always perform like in the movies.

Being ancient, I find myself being amazed that it all works as well as it does. I do find it amusing that some posters assume something is seriously wrong if their device doesn't operate flawlessly as it interacts with little orbiting globes hanging up there 22,000 miles away. :)