New Google Maps Update

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Mojo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't ride the bus, and I sure don't need Goggle giving me suggestions on who my friends should be.

I'll pass on this "update".

-Mike

2. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Running SS 4.1, cant get the update to work, unsucessful error, any suggestions?

3. Varking

Varking Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running the original 2.2 ROM with the black ice theme and it worked.

4. chuk1005

chuk1005 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure, but I ignored that part....so I guess its not necessary.

5. silentbob343

silentbob343 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same idea, but did not want to scroll through that giant wall of XML and try to find those few lines. So I copied everything to a text document with a search/find capability so I knew where to begin looking to edit the xml.

For those that want to do the root explorer method the text we need to delete is towards the bottom. Last 1/5 of the way I'd say.

6. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to say a big thank you to all of you that are smart enough to find these work-a-rounds!! I truly applaud you guys!

7. jamko101

jamko101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I mucho agree.

I was tired of seeing maps sitting in "my downloads" part of the market with the word "free" next to it... even though it was installed. Skulls trick worked for me, now I'm back in business.

Did all on my droid, it was a pain scrolling through that huge XML, but it paid off dancedroid

8. ratboy3124

ratboy3124 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't work for me.

9. SDI

SDI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok first off that's a heck of a lot to assume LOL there has GOT to be a way that this can be done easier then this????? C'mon now somebody has to know a better way? This looks like Russian, written as Spanish then translated back to Chinese LOL

10. bubbleflubber

bubbleflubber New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For a moment, it didn't work for me, either. However, when I deleted the text information from the packages.xml file the first time, I tried updating from the Market. That didn't work, so on a hunch, I went back to my packages.xml file, and sure enough, somehow the permissions-related text that I had removed moments earlier was back. I downloaded the Maps 4.3.0 standalone apk (link below), and it installed without any problems. Thanks Skull.

Also, just to make sure that it works for future updates, I saw that the Market still listed Google Maps 4.3.0 as "FREE" (aka, "uninstalled"), so I tried re-installing from the Market and it installed/overwrote the current maps program without any permissions problems.

I did everything from Root Explorer too. Didn't have to connect anything to the computer or move any files around. Root Explorer negated the need for the terminal, included the ability to long-press the packages.xml file and "Open with Text Editor" and edit it, automatically backed up the file upon any changes, and made changing the read-only and read-write permissions for the system super-uber easy. I swear Root Explorer is worth its weight in technological gold. Haven't really needed a terminal app for anything much after installing it.

But I digress... Skull's info should work perfectly for FRF57-based Froyo 2.2 users, including ROMs from Pete (BB ROMS) and BlackDroidMod (Ultimate Droid ROMS) and most other similarly based systems.

My key to success was (1) deleting the Maps.apk from the /system/app folder, (2) deleting the cache file located in data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Maps.apk@classes.dex, (3) editing the permissions.xml file with Root Explorer (see steps above), (4) rebooting, (5) installing the standalone 4.3.0 Maps.apk from here: http://bit.ly/dqEdLr, (6) then going back into the Market and "installing" again (this step is just for those that don't like to see "FREE" next to the application and would like to take advantage of the automatic updating feature in Froyo).

It may sound like pig latin, but it should work without a hitch.

#70 bubbleflubber, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  11. subsynth

subsynth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gah, I should have just left well enough alone.

Already had it restored to 4.2, now I tried the packages.xml edit and I got a boot loop!

12. Samurai26

Samurai26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about messing with that.xml file to try to get it working, but now I'm just going to wait it out for an easier, more efficient solution after looking at all of these errors

Search tags for this page

brut google maps 4.3.0

droid google maps removing new update

droid x2 keyguard error

why can`t i revert google maps now android december 21, 2013