Google Maps Update 4.2.0

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
there was never true pinch to zoom...at least not for me. don't know how it would be different for you. the pinch to zoom ALWAYS stepped the same levels in/out as if you were using the +/- buttons, and i had verified this months ago on 2 other phones besides mine.

I somehow remember it being as Google Earth is now when it comes to pinch zooming.

tameone

Reaction score
there was never true pinch to zoom...at least not for me. don't know how it would be different for you. the pinch to zoom ALWAYS stepped the same levels in/out as if you were using the +/- buttons, and i had verified this months ago on 2 other phones besides mine.

I somehow remember it being as Google Earth is now when it comes to pinch zooming.

As do I.. I am fairly confident zooming has changed.

papy72

Reaction score
Pinch zooming works but it doesn't look like truly smooth zooming. That may be what people are talking about. What see is that i pinch-zoom in but when I let go the screen redraws the map, and in the process actually changing how far in (or out) that you have zoomed.

Almost like it has 15 zoom settings and it redraws the map to the closest one to what you pinched in on.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Pinch zooming works but it doesn't look like truly smooth zooming. That may be what people are talking about. What see is that i pinch-zoom in but when I let go the screen redraws the map, and in the process actually changing how far in (or out) that you have zoomed.

Almost like it has 15 zoom settings and it redraws the map to the closest one to what you pinched in on.

Exactly what we're saying. :)

brochaos

Reaction score
Pinch Zoom has worked for me, and still does after the update.

we are not saying it doesn't work, we are debating whether or not it allows you an "infinite" level of zooms like google earth, or if it "snaps" to the same predefined zoom levels that the +/- buttons use.

all i know is i remember complaining to my friends about this when pinch to zoom was first released for maps, and i verified that their phones behaved the same way.

either way, i wish it would be like earth, since right now there is no point to using it, unless you want to zoom really far in or really far out.

Mark5047

Reaction score
I was getting the error updating. Clearing the cache in Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / Market allowed the install to happen for me. Accuracy seems to be the same as it was. Pinch / zoom is the same as it was.

tameone

Reaction score
Ok, I just checked out another Droid that had 4.1.x Maps installed.

Zooming has DEFINITELY changed, although just slightly.

In 4.1.x, you can still only zoom between a set number of images, however, it seems there are 1) possibly more images, and 2) it definitely doesn't 'jump' around as much when zooming...

In 4.2 if you pinch zoom in, the image will be redrawn but centered in a different location sometimes, and you lose your 'line of sight'. 4.1.x centers the image correctly so you can better track where you're trying to zoom to.

brochaos

Reaction score
awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

Ok, I just checked out another Droid that had 4.1.x Maps installed.

Zooming has DEFINITELY changed, although just slightly.

In 4.1.x, you can still only zoom between a set number of images, however, it seems there are 1) possibly more images, and 2) it definitely doesn't 'jump' around as much when zooming...

In 4.2 if you pinch zoom in, the image will be redrawn but centered in a different location sometimes, and you lose your 'line of sight'. 4.1.x centers the image correctly so you can better track where you're trying to zoom to.

Scribble

Reaction score
I wonder if any of this has to do with clearing the cache when it installed the new version or something?

I remember way back when I got my phone the GPS was off, until it I think learned my wifi address, and started finalizing itself on that.

Also I wonder if the zooming will improve when it caches more maps?

fireman27c

Reaction score
Market is working again! Was able to DL for my(rooted) n wife(not rooted) Droids. Now just to see if its as crappy as everyone thinks...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tameone

Reaction score
I've figured out the main problem.

4.2 centers the map differently when zooming than 4.1.x.

4.2 seems to center the map based on the original center before you zoomed, so if you zoom in off center, it will 'snap' back to the original center when it redraws the map and you will loose your line of sight.

4.1.x does a much better job of keeping the map centered where you are zooming in.