Google Maps Update 4.2.0

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
your GPS inaccuracies may not be google's fault (entirely... I realize they've claimed there's a problem with 3g positioning). galaxy 15 satellite is of is control
I suspect a lot of the comments on inaccuracies are coincidental and not causal. I doubt Google Maps affects functionality of the GPS receiver.

For those of you with accuracy issues after updating, have you tried another GPS app? Give GPS Status a shot and see if your receiver is obtaining a proper fix. Google Maps is able to use multiple methods of determining your location. If GPS is unavailable, Google Maps will fall back on a less accurate method of determining your position.

Google broke zooming. You can't actually zoom in on the map anymore, you can only scroll through a series of pictures that are zoomed to different levels.
Zooming works fine here. Something's up with your particular situation.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Guys try holding your phone and spinning around 4 or 5 times in a circle real quick, that always fixes my inaccuracies.

Google broke zooming. You can't actually zoom in on the map anymore, you can only scroll through a series of pictures that are zoomed to different levels.

This is why sometimes it seems like the app has momentum when zooming, or why it sometimes zooms back out a little bit when you stop pinch zooming. If you zoom to a level thats between two of the pre-zoomed pictures, you're sent forward or back.

Anyone have an astro backup of 4.1.x? I was unable to uninstall this update and now I'm stuck with 4.2.

This was intentional? And are you aware of what was gained by doing so?

tameone

Reaction score

I don't know.. what is gained? As far as I can tell it just limits zooming resolution, and you jump around when zooming because you will never have continuous line of sight to a single location on the map.. the picture reloads every time you zoom and you have to find the exact place you're looking for again.

mikes

Reaction score
your GPS inaccuracies may not be google's fault (entirely... I realize they've claimed there's a problem with 3g positioning). galaxy 15 satellite is of is control
I don't think the Droid uses WAAS, and even if it did, the shift of Galaxy 15 has not yet significantly effected GPS accuracy. Northwest Alaska will be the first area to lose redundant coverage:
NorthAmericaCoverage_LPV.png

Inmarsat 4F3, NMEA #46 / PRN # 133 and Anik F1R, NMEA #51 / PRN #138 provide redundant coverage to the the bulk of the US.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

I don't know.. what is gained? As far as I can tell it just limits zooming resolution, and you jump around when zooming because you will never have continuous line of sight to a single location on the map.. the picture reloads every time you zoom and you have to find the exact place you're looking for again.

The reason I took note to what you said, and why I found it odd...is that Google Earth has the true zoom you speak of. Why would they change it for maps? Perhaps less data that has to be pushed, conserving battery life and resources?

mack38

Reaction score
My GPS location is not accurate at ALL!!! Over a mile away from where I am....

tameone

Reaction score
The reason I took note to what you said, and why I found it odd...is that Google Earth has the true zoom you speak of. Why would they change it for maps? Perhaps less data that has to be pushed, conserving battery life and resources?

Maps 4.1.x had true zooming. Picked up my friends iPhone to make sure I wasn't crazy, and his has true zooming. Less data being pushed could be a reason, but I don't buy it! Maps has to "reload" a new picture every time you zoom now. Previously, you could zoom in/out on the same picture, and the app would just redraw the newly exposed area.. it would only reload an entirely new picture if you zoomed a lot.

Jcook54

Reaction score
I can't get the update either. "Download Unsuccessful" is the best I can get. I'm glad to read that it's not just me.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

Maps 4.1.x had true zooming. Picked up my friends iPhone to make sure I wasn't crazy, and his has true zooming. Less data being pushed could be a reason, but I don't buy it! Maps has to "reload" a new picture every time you zoom now. Previously, you could zoom in/out on the same picture, and the app would just redraw the newly exposed area.. it would only reload an entirely new picture if you zoomed a lot.

Yea I don't know, very peculiar. I recall it now that you mention it and I'm not sure why they'd do this.

Zargon

Reaction score
Updated fine, location is accurate and zoom works like it always has. :)

brochaos

Reaction score
there was never true pinch to zoom...at least not for me. don't know how it would be different for you. the pinch to zoom ALWAYS stepped the same levels in/out as if you were using the +/- buttons, and i had verified this months ago on 2 other phones besides mine.