Google Earth from 2.1 for Non-Roots

snowman

Reaction score
all kiddin' aside, I couldn't resist,
I don't see a goggle earth pro available in apps?

eryck22

Reaction score
Tig, I don't understand how to install this App. You say in your instructions not to download directly to phone. To download to PC and move to SD card then install. My assumption is placing it in the root of the SD. Well, wouldn't that be the same as downloading to my phone and move the file to the root of SD using Astro. It still doesn't work, I get a parse error. I tried battery pull and reinstall that didn't seem to work either. Are we to push the file using adb? Any help would be great, I'm on the fence to root, thinking about waiting for 2.1 but we'll see, we're getting all the 2.1 apps anyway, the only thing that is attracting me to root is OC.

jayman350

Reaction score
Tig, I don't understand how to install this App. You say in your instructions not to download directly to phone. To download to PC and move to SD card then install. My assumption is placing it in the root of the SD. Well, wouldn't that be the same as downloading to my phone and move the file to the root of SD using Astro. It still doesn't work, I get a parse error. I tried battery pull and reinstall that didn't seem to work either. Are we to push the file using adb? Any help would be great, I'm on the fence to root, thinking about waiting for 2.1 but we'll see, we're getting all the 2.1 apps anyway, the only thing that is attracting me to root is OC.

I placed it on the root dir of the sd card and then navigated to it in Astro. When you tap the file it, will ask you to "browse file" or "open app manager". You want to open App Manager. There will be a button to install on the next screen that pops up. Hope that clears up any confusion.

eryck22

Reaction score
I tried that, no option to install just empty summary and if i go to details message "could not open /sdcard/ google_earth...apk as APK file"

darthdroid

Reaction score
google earth

Can someone explain what can you do with this app, after you are past the first 30 minutes of the "this is so neat". I'd wish google would put more effort into useful apps, like the Navigation or the Browser, both could use much more work.
It seems to me google are releasing apps quickly but never bother to go back and make them complete, and instead move on to the next "flashy" thing. (where is my Flash!, lol)

bb-gun

Reaction score
i downloaded it from the market yesterday and im running BB7 0.7.6. Its working fine

Nick177th

Reaction score

I placed it on the root dir of the sd card and then navigated to it in Astro. When you tap the file it, will ask you to "browse file" or "open app manager". You want to open App Manager. There will be a button to install on the next screen that pops up. Hope that clears up any confusion.

I did exactly that but, when I open up app manager, the install button is not there. was I supposed to change the name to ".zip"? (I didn't but, was I supposed to?)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I installed it and it WASNT there. I went to try to run it from Astro and it said uninstalled so I installed it again and it worked.

VERY cool application but it's HUGE... had to delete a bunch of stuff. More of a curiosity just like a real map of course.

I agree. I got a low memory warning and when I checked Google Earth was taking up 33mb of my 250mb on phone memory. This should be created to offload the bulk of it onto the card.

Coolest thing done so far with it? Driving with it on "my location". Take the look-around feature and pan-n-tilt a bit. I got it so I was no longer looking straight down but was looking towards the horizon. With that in driving mode it displayed where I was going. Not that it could replace the view out my windshield but it came close:)

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Sweeeeeet!

Nice work Tig!! Thanks for posting this. Had no issues installing on my stock Droid.