Google Earth from 2.1 for Non-Roots

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Problems? Really????

#1. Download OI File Manager from the Marketplace.
#2. Download the APK of your choice to your PC.
#3. Mount your phone to your PC
#4 Transfer/drag Google Earth APK (or whatever APK you wish to transfer) from your PC to whatever file you want on your phone. I use "download", just to make it easy.
#4. Once completed, Unmount your phone.
#5. Disconnect phone from PC
#6. Open OI File Manager on your phone.
#7. Browse to the "download" file and open it.
#8. Browse the file for the Google_earth.apk (just go all the way to the bottom of the list and work your way back up) and install.

VIOLA!

casesteam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweet - Thank you Tig. Up and running in less than 2 minutes!!! Stock Droid using Astro. :icon_ banana:

dfwdroid

Reaction score
running BB7.6 here and installed it from the market and its working half the time.
Would it hurt if i install this .apk on a rooted droid?
also, have you guy noticed that the satellite pictures are pretty old (some over two years)? google should really work on their "update process" IMO ;)
i still want it to work though hehehe :)

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
Can someone explain what can you do with this app, after you are past the first 30 minutes of the "this is so neat". I'd wish google would put more effort into useful apps, like the Navigation or the Browser, both could use much more work.
It seems to me google are releasing apps quickly but never bother to go back and make them complete, and instead move on to the next "flashy" thing. (where is my Flash!, lol)
I know, is it too much to expect (at least) Maps feature set with an improved and faster loading interfae

dub8420

Reaction score
I tried that, no option to install just empty summary and if i go to details message "could not open /sdcard/ google_earth...apk as APK file"

+ this

I downloaded it on my PC and Droid. But how do I move it from the PC to my Droid??
connect your phone with your USB cable. In the notification panel on your phone click the USB icon and then you will 'mount' your phone to your computer(click mount). Once you've done that options will come up for what you want to do and you will go down to 'open folder to view files' on a PC. Then you can move the file from your PC to your Droid by clicking and dragging it over to say your download file. You'll need ASTRO file manager and then once you've unmounted your phone the SD card will prepare and then you can open and install from astro file manager.

Nick177th

Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong. I'm looking at the post in the thread and I've seen that people are saying the file is huge. However, the file that I d/l'd to my PC is only 161 KBs. Shouldn't the file be bigger than that? I usually don't have problems downloading and installing. This one has me stumped a little though. I've installed and used the Launcher, the gallery, the news and weather widget, the 3D app drawer. No problems.

somebody help a brother out. I hate not being able to figure something out.

eryck22

Reaction score
I got it working, I was having the same prob with the file size, it was coming up as 15KB, I redownloaded on my PC and moved to SD then used Astro to install.

Thanks Tigg and BigBooty

bbtkd

Reaction score
running BB7.6 here and installed it from the market and its working half the time.
Would it hurt if i install this .apk on a rooted droid?
also, have you guy noticed that the satellite pictures are pretty old (some over two years)? google should really work on their "update process" IMO ;)
i still want it to work though hehehe :)

I work at a center that distributes satellite/aircraft imagery and can tell you that keeping such data updated is a huge expense and huge undertaking. If the data was low resolution they could get daily updates (albeit with clouds). Much of the GoogleEarth data is such high resolution that it cannot possibly be updated continually. They depend on getting the data from others who acquire it only as they require it and can afford it. Besides cost and size, there is also the need to get it cloud free as much as possible. For satellite data, the clear day must coincide with the repeat time on the satellite (high resolution satellites might only fly over a given area every few weeks). It can take weeks or months to get a good cloud-free shot of a specific area. They seek to keep it as up to date as possible and over time it will get cheaper, higher quality, and more current.

jodyberry

Reaction score
I work at a center that distributes satellite/aircraft imagery and can tell you that keeping such data updated is a huge expense and huge undertaking. If the data was low resolution they could get daily updates (albeit with clouds). Much of the GoogleEarth data is such high resolution that it cannot possibly be updated continually. They depend on getting the data from others who acquire it only as they require it and can afford it. Besides cost and size, there is also the need to get it cloud free as much as possible. For satellite data, the clear day must coincide with the repeat time on the satellite (high resolution satellites might only fly over a given area every few weeks). It can take weeks or months to get a good cloud-free shot of a specific area. They seek to keep it as up to date as possible and over time it will get cheaper, higher quality, and more current.

Great Info!!

Does that mean that in some cases (mine particularly) that images can take 1 to 2 years to update? (My area shows a dirt lot where there has been a whole shopping mall built for the last 1 1/2 years!).

Thanks...

bbtkd

Reaction score

Great Info!!

Does that mean that in some cases (mine particularly) that images can take 1 to 2 years to update? (My area shows a dirt lot where there has been a whole shopping mall built for the last 1 1/2 years!).

Thanks...

It all depends on who wants to pay to have the data captured. It can cost thousands of dollars for a single high-resolution image that may only be a few square miles. A city may decide to have aerial or satellite images taken but due to cost it may be a one-time deal for a specific project. Then a few months/years later another agency needs data for another reason so it is captured again. Data is typically provided, usually at some cost, to anyone needing it. Lower resolution data such as AVHRR or Landsat is often free and is captured whether anyone wants it, for scientific and historical purposes. There are many sources for data and many agencies requesting it and availability all comes down to funding. High-resolution data is not captured unless there is an up-front buyer.

jodyberry

Reaction score
And along the same topic, it has to cost MAJOR bucks to shoot all the "Street View" photos that Google has!! It's a cool feature, but I always wondered how they were making money on that. What companies HAVE to use it?
Imagine having people drive 70% to 80% of the country with cameras on top of their cars! The gas alone!!
And recently they started blurring out the car and the hardware that held the camera (only seen when you tilt way down). Even with automated software, that had to take a while. (I used to do panorama photos and it was a pain to stitch them cleanly).

bbtkd

Reaction score
And along the same topic, it has to cost MAJOR bucks to shoot all the "Street View" photos that Google has!! It's a cool feature, but I always wondered how they were making money on that. What companies HAVE to use it?
Imagine having people drive 70% to 80% of the country with cameras on top of their cars! The gas alone!!
And recently they started blurring out the car and the hardware that held the camera (only seen when you tilt way down). Even with automated software, that had to take a while. (I used to do panorama photos and it was a pain to stitch them cleanly).

In the case of streetview, Google is paying for that. Streetview makes their viewers popular and I suppose it allows them to drive up their advertising prices. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't do it but it's hard to imagine a cost model that covers streetview costs since it doesn't seem to directly generate revenue..

armeddroid

Reaction score
Finally got back from my biz trip to try and install this cause I am not rooted yet.
Very nice.
Thanks people.