Google Announces YouTube Red Subscription Based Premium-Style Streaming Membership

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
youtube-red-subscription-service.jpg

It was probably only a matter of time before this occurred. The big wigs at Google have decided to offer a different version of YouTube that will basically be akin to a "Netflix for Youtube" product. It's called YouTube Red, and it will use a $9.99 per month subscription model to access any and all content with NO Ads.

That's not all you get for your monthly fee. Google also promises that the service also applies across all devices, anywhere you sign into YouTube. This will include YouTube's recently launched Gaming app, and will also apply to a brand new YouTube Music app, that they officially announced today.

The YouTube Music app has been floating around the rumor-mill for a while, and it is basically a streaming music service. As an extra bonus, YouTube Red will also work with Google Play Music, which means that when you subscribe to one you automatically get access to the other.

Finally, it looks like Google/YouTube is investing heavily in the future of the service. They are planning on offering unique, premium, original content that will only be found on YouTube Red. This is basically like the original shows and movies that you find on Netflix, except that Google is the one investing in and hosting them. Here's a link to the first spate of original content that YouTube Red has planned: YouTube Blog

For more info, here's a link to the YouTube Red blog post: Official YouTube Blog: Meet YouTube Red, the ultimate YouTube experience

You can also check out a YouTube video in the thread below describing the service.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that YouTube Red promo video:

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Really pretty awesome that you get all the Red features if you already subscribe to Play Music All Access, because I love All Access, probably the best 10 bucks I spend every month. I was really curious about that, since when YouTube introduced background play, it was included if you subscribed to All Access.

I really feel like Google knows how to treat its customers, which is why I love the company.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have no idea what YouTube Red is or that they had a music access. I'm not a youtuber at all. If I want to watch videos of idiots saying "Hold my beer", I'll go home and visit my family.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have no idea what YouTube Red is or that they had a music access. I'm not a youtuber at all. If I want to watch videos of idiots saying "Hold my beer", I'll go home and visit my family.
I'm no crazy fan of YouTube either, but there is so much more than that there. Lots of junk, sure, but great tech videos, clips from shows, I like things like Cinema Sins & Screen Rant, where they point out thing you might not have noticed, have lists of all-time best or worst (specific character, trend, etc.)

Not trying to convert you, but I've found some stuff I enjoy watching there, even though I thought a lot like you at one point.

I still don't browse yt even every day, but there is some value there.

The music thing was so far basically just no ads on music videos, downloading for offline playback, & the ability to play songs through YouTube in the background, which sounds great, but idk how they decide what videos get to do that. I've had some nonsense videos continue playing sound in the background when what I really wanted was to exit the app and carry on living my life.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I wasn't interested until I read that you will get access if you have Play Music All Access. I've had it since it was released and only pay $7.99, which is nice. Just today I was watching a video where I was looking for a specific spot, and I kept getting 15 second ads for jumping to a different part of the video. Glad to hear I won't have to deal with that.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wasn't interested until I read that you will get access if you have Play Music All Access. I've had it since it was released and only pay $7.99, which is nice. Just today I was watching a video where I was looking for a specific spot, and I kept getting 15 second ads for jumping to a different part of the video. Glad to hear I won't have to deal with that.
Amen to that! That's exactly where I'm at with it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
How long do we think it'll be before they change the name of this service & just sell one subscription? If one gets you the other one, your not gonna buy both...

Ophus

Reaction score
I was fortunate in that I was invited to use this program during beta, I've had it for about a year and I love it!! I already had an all access music subscription. When you start a song in google play, it gives you the option to watch the video right in the google music app. It all works pretty slick. The lack of commercials is great also.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll pay them when they start streaming live cable channels like history, AMC, ESPN, CNN, discovery, military, Fox news, MTV, vh1, travel. When youtube will stream those 10 channels live, that's when I'll pay them $10 a month. For now I can deal with ads.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been using YT Red since it has debuted and despite me having some reservations about paying for it I actually like it (It helps that Google through in GM subscription). Are commercials a big deal....eh I mean if I was watching my budget tight and had to make cuts then I would deal with the commercials. But I like diving into a video and not having to listen to a commercial about a product I could care less about. For a person who watches a lot of YT videos this may be worth the $120 a year (9.99 a month).

Anyone else still using YT Red?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I watch a lot of YouTube, averaging 20-30gig a month.
I can't stand commercials, but IMO, it's not worth paying $120 a year to do away with them. The majority of my YT subscribed channels don't have commercials, and the ones that do give me the option to skip them after a few seconds, so it's not too terribly annoying.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I watch a lot of YouTube, averaging 20-30gig a month.
I can't stand commercials, but IMO, it's not worth paying $120 a year to do away with them. The majority of my YT subscribed channels don't have commercials, and the ones that do give me the option to skip them after a few seconds, so it's not too terribly annoying.

S5 tap'n

Are you a GM subscriber (I'm guessing not but just asking)?