Google Officially Launches YouTube Music App

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
youtube-music.png

Pandora, Apple Music, Spotify and others have a new competitor to watch out for, and it's a beast! Google just officially took the wraps off their YouTube Music service. Here's a quote with a description,
But we want to do even more to support artists and all the fans who turn to YouTube to discover music, so we’re making the experience even better with a brand new YouTube Music app. With YouTube Music, you’ll get a completely new type of experience, designed to make discovering music on YouTube easier than ever.

No matter where you start in the app, the music will never stop. Every song you play or artist you choose will take you on an endless journey through YouTube’s music catalog. A simple tap and you’re on your way, enjoying your favorite music and discovering new artists effortlessly. The home tab will recommend tracks just for you and create personalized stations based on your tastes.

The app also gives you complete access to one of the richest music catalogs on earth. You’ll be able to quickly find music videos, tracks, artists and albums, but you’ll also see all the remixes, covers, lyric videos and concert footage that YouTube has to offer.

The new service can be enhanced further if you are a subscribing YouTube Red member as well. For more details, check out Google's blog announcement here: Official YouTube Blog: A YouTube built just for music

Be sure to check out the YouTube Music YouTube Video below, and here are a couple of links where you can grab this new app for either Android or iOS:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
e6ef2e39b5a5a21f1489b774df90f587.jpg

I'm liking it so far. I'm curious to see how they further integrate it with google music because that is going to have to be the next evolution or it is just YouTube dedicated to music.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's what's interesting to me, Google Play Music already gives me options for music videos when I'm looking at a certain band.

I'm not one to just sit and watch music videos, so if there was an artist that somehow had music on YT, but not Google Play, I guess I can understand this standalone app, but since I've got GPM, I don't think I'll be trying this one right away.

Seems like it's getting good reviews so far though. I'll definitely keep an eye on info about it since I've got YT Red as part of my All Access.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Not something I would be all that interested in if I didn't already have Google Play Music, but since I do, I tried it out. It's kinda neat.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's what's interesting to me, Google Play Music already gives me options for music videos when I'm looking at a certain band.

I'm not one to just sit and watch music videos, so if there was an artist that somehow had music on YT, but not Google Play, I guess I can understand this standalone app, but since I've got GPM, I don't think I'll be trying this one right away.

Seems like it's getting good reviews so far though. I'll definitely keep an eye on info about it since I've got YT Red as part of my All Access.
I thought the same at first. I mean if Google is looking to charge a separate fee outside of yt red then I'm kicking it to the curb, but if it is included then it makes the package sweeter.

You remember those YouTube ripper apps back in the day?

It's like that but better, oh and Google is not trying to block it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is my early review and thoughts of YT Music:

Thanks @dgstorm for posting as I could not wait to talk about this.

The question that I think a lot of us is asking is where does this fit? We already have Google Music and Youtube (Red) so why would I want another app on my phone?

That is a great question and one Google is going to have to answer over the coming months if they want to keep this from going the direction of G+. I have a suspicion, which may prove right or wrong, in that this may be Google's way around Apple's exclusive rights to certain artists and albums. If Google can sell to artists a way to create basically playlists and teasers in order to gain another source of revenue from viewers, this can become something beyond what we already have. GM Radio is just a collection of songs that follows some sort of algorithm, that can either help listeners discover other music in their collection or send them in a direction far away from that genre (example is if I am listening to Lecrae and out of nowhere Green Day popped up, though that is rare unlike Pandora). With YTM artists can create a playlist and music selection that not only promote their latest albums but bring light to other artists under their record label.

Right now the look is basic and I like the ability to toggle from music video to music with a toggle switch. However I kind of see where @Jonny Kansas is coming from in that why do I need to download this app. To be honest JK I really can not answer that because it is early. Yes you can add music playlists () from youtube and listen to it later (ie party, traveling, time with your lady). But other than that I can just stick with Spotify or Google Music.

I still need to play with all the features as it may have some potential but it can only become successful if Google has a clear direction and is able to get artists and record labels on board.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm just curious, three years later is anyone using You Tube Music as their primary music app?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I use Play Music which is great for me... So I get all the benefits of YouTube and all for $10 a month... I've read it will be awhile before they merge all of it...

Pixel 2 XL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have the Play Music family plan, which has saved me a ton of money since signing up for it the day it was available. That also gives me You Tube Red access. I use Play Music almost exclusively. Like I mentioned, I am just curious if anyone has continued to use You Tube Music these past few years.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have the Play Music family plan, which has saved me a ton of money since signing up for it the day it was available. That also gives me You Tube Red access. I use Play Music almost exclusively. Like I mentioned, I am just curious if anyone has continued to use You Tube Music these past few years.

I'm in exactly the same boat here & wondering the same. When they first announced this new push for YT music, I read an article that said they were trying to get more users with YouTube's already established name. I guess that makes sense, but idk that I care for the news that Play Music will eventually migrate to YT music.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk