Google Officially Launches YouTube Music App

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Nov 12, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Pandora, Apple Music, Spotify and others have a new competitor to watch out for, and it's a beast! Google just officially took the wraps off their YouTube Music service. Here's a quote with a description,
    The new service can be enhanced further if you are a subscribing YouTube Red member as well. For more details, check out Google's blog announcement here: Official YouTube Blog: A YouTube built just for music

Be sure to check out the YouTube Music YouTube Video below, and here are a couple of links where you can grab this new app for either Android or iOS:

• Like Like x 2
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,922
    [​IMG]

I'm liking it so far. I'm curious to see how they further integrate it with google music because that is going to have to be the next evolution or it is just YouTube dedicated to music.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Here's that video:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,406
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Here's what's interesting to me, Google Play Music already gives me options for music videos when I'm looking at a certain band.

I'm not one to just sit and watch music videos, so if there was an artist that somehow had music on YT, but not Google Play, I guess I can understand this standalone app, but since I've got GPM, I don't think I'll be trying this one right away.

Seems like it's getting good reviews so far though. I'll definitely keep an eye on info about it since I've got YT Red as part of my All Access.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Not something I would be all that interested in if I didn't already have Google Play Music, but since I do, I tried it out. It's kinda neat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,922
    I thought the same at first. I mean if Google is looking to charge a separate fee outside of yt red then I'm kicking it to the curb, but if it is included then it makes the package sweeter.

You remember those YouTube ripper apps back in the day?

It's like that but better, oh and Google is not trying to block it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,922
    Here is my early review and thoughts of YT Music:

Thanks @dgstorm for posting as I could not wait to talk about this.

The question that I think a lot of us is asking is where does this fit? We already have Google Music and Youtube (Red) so why would I want another app on my phone?

That is a great question and one Google is going to have to answer over the coming months if they want to keep this from going the direction of G+. I have a suspicion, which may prove right or wrong, in that this may be Google's way around Apple's exclusive rights to certain artists and albums. If Google can sell to artists a way to create basically playlists and teasers in order to gain another source of revenue from viewers, this can become something beyond what we already have. GM Radio is just a collection of songs that follows some sort of algorithm, that can either help listeners discover other music in their collection or send them in a direction far away from that genre (example is if I am listening to Lecrae and out of nowhere Green Day popped up, though that is rare unlike Pandora). With YTM artists can create a playlist and music selection that not only promote their latest albums but bring light to other artists under their record label.

Right now the look is basic and I like the ability to toggle from music video to music with a toggle switch. However I kind of see where @Jonny Kansas is coming from in that why do I need to download this app. To be honest JK I really can not answer that because it is early. Yes you can add music playlists () from youtube and listen to it later (ie party, traveling, time with your lady). But other than that I can just stick with Spotify or Google Music.

I still need to play with all the features as it may have some potential but it can only become successful if Google has a clear direction and is able to get artists and record labels on board.

8. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,922