Going on Vacation and considering a Droid

bastosero

Reaction score
From my understaning, the skype app is only 3g, but there are apps that will allow you to use your skype account over wifi. This would be free skype to skype, but cost a small amount when calling land lines (the normal skype fees). The GV+sipdroid+sipgate is the ideal (but more complicated) solution for cheapskates like me.

I just turned off my cell signal through airplane mode and made a call over wifi so it is confirmed working.

I'll check that out since I have GV also. I just hope Verizon and Skype allow calls over wi-fi for their new app and not only 3G. Did they confirm that it will only be on 3G? I hope it's not only for 3G. That would suck, but there are other Skype apps to make calls over wi-fi right now.

Last edited:

orion2001

Reaction score
From my understaning, the skype app is only 3g, but there are apps that will allow you to use your skype account over wifi. This would be free skype to skype, but cost a small amount when calling land lines (the normal skype fees). The GV+sipdroid+sipgate is the ideal (but more complicated) solution for cheapskates like me.

I just turned off my cell signal through airplane mode and made a call over wifi so it is confirmed working.

I'll check that out since I have GV also. I just hope Verizon and Skype allow calls over wi-fi for their new app and not only 3G. Did they confirm that it will only be on 3G? I hope it's not only for 3G. That would suck, but there are other Skype apps to make calls over wi-fi right now.
I don't see any good reason why they would prevent WiFi calls. If anything, they'd want people to do that to offload the bandwidth usage, and free up their networks.

In anycase, sipdroid+sipsorcery+GV works quite well and would definitely work and would be absolutely FREE. I've also used Skype via Fring successfully. If the other person you are calling also has an android phone, then you can call each other Via Fring, or Skype, or a number of other VOIP apps for free as well.