Thinking of making the switch

drtechy

Reaction score
As the former IT director in my division, I can assure you my staff and I were very cognizant of the issues and risks. Our users very well trained. The security officer in my division was certified by SANS in two different areas so I'm comfortable saying PSU was and is concerned about security on mobile devices!

Mike

I'm sure PSU is concerned about it, btw PSU??? I'm not trying to say any IT staff out there is not aware of it, or making policies to protect their information, it just amazes me how many are not. I'm currently moving into a new position at a new company which does not currently have any particular policies implemented and that will be part of my job to make sure they are implemented. We can only hold users responsible to a point, as I'm sure you know, information security is much the responsibility of information security officers.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree that many companies are not aware and do not take any steps to secure their data or train their staff/users. It is a long and often painful process getting users to understand the risks and their being responsible for their device.

Good luck with your new job. Check out the SANS site. They have a wealth of information and draft policies that may assist you implementing policies.

Thankfully, I'm retired now so the only device I need to worry about is my own :)

Mike

drtechy

Reaction score
Agree that many companies are not aware and do not take any steps to secure their data or train their staff/users. It is a long and often painful process getting users to understand the risks and their being responsible for their device.

Good luck with your new job. Check out the SANS site. They have a wealth of information and draft policies that may assist you implementing policies.

Thankfully, I'm retired now so the only device I need to worry about is my own :)

Mike

LOL! I'm sure you are enjoying your retirement! I hope to someday, unfortunately being only 30 I have a long way to go! Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check out the SANS site.

swallman

Reaction score
I have to agree. I am in charge of the wireless devices for my company, and I have tested every unit out there. The only reason some people are not using android units is because they don't want to pay for the app to have full exchange support. And since froyo is just around the corner, they are just waiting. We also have blackberries in our environment, but they don't even compare. Iphones are cool, but way to proprietary and Apple is way too difficult to deal with when it comes to repair. Besides, I can take a bricked android phone and have it back up and running in 15 minutes. Switch to android, you won't be disappointed.
I am currently an iPhone user planning to switch to Droid X. My understanding is that Exchange support is native in Android? What is not included?

Coffee maker, Ferrari and 3 wishes. Otherwise it's got pretty much everything. dancedroid

Actually, the Exchange support is still pretty weak, even in Android 2.2

One key issue for myself is the ability to sync other folders in addition to the INBOX (for example, I like to have a copy of my recently Sent Mail). You can browse through your Sent Mail, but you have to wait for it to download to the phone (instead of being automatically synced).

The 3rd party Android app for Exchange is called Touchdown and the functionality and features are really way ahead of what is built into 2.1/2.2. Plus the developer is constantly making additional changes to the app. What I would do is try the built-in Exchange support and also download Touchdown (you get a full 30 days to try it for free) and see which app works better for what you want to do.

timmy

Reaction score
I was an iPhone user for 3 years, and owned the iPhone 2g, 3g, and 3G S, for about a year each. Although it is a great phone, and can do a ton of stuff, I have not looked back once since switching to Verizon and my Moto Droid.

I switched for 2 reasons:

1) This could be just my own bad luck, but I had terrible experiences with the Apple (not AT&T) customer service whenever I had an issue with my phone. Whenever I had an issue, the phone reps would tell me I either had to buy a refurbished phone, or a brand new phone. They never seemed to offer any repair or replacement services. Even when I took it to the Apple store in Mall of America with a burnt pixel (which was only one of the issues with the phone at the time) and they wouldn't replace it. I have a friend who has received 3 new iPhones from that same Apple store for burnt pixels, so that frustrated me.

2) You all probably know this, but the AT&T 3G coverage was terrible in my area. I would constantly drop calls while at work, the number of bars I would have would drop drastically for seemingly no reason and texts, emails, and data wouldn't load very fast unless on Wifi.

With Verizon and my Droid, I have maybe dropped 2 or 3 calls in the 4 months I've had it (knock on wood lol).

I no longer have to call/deal with a separate company if there's an issue with my phone. I simply take it to Verizon, and they straighten me out (with a lot less hassle than AT&T or Apple).

Most importantly what I like about Android vs. iPhone is the customization options you have with a Droid. Before iPhone 4, all you were able to do was move your icons around, and change your lockscreen image. Now you are able to change your background image (I had a phone when I was 16 that could do that, and Apple just now decides to make that a feature?).

All in all, I prefer my Motorola Droid over the iPhone, although both are great devices that have a lot to offer. It's really all about what you need the phone to do.

Good luck with your decision!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Besides, I can take a bricked android phone and have it back up and running in 15 minutes.
If that's the case then they're weren't bricked. The word has been severely diluted recently.

The 3rd party Android app for Exchange is called Touchdown
"The"? There's far more out there than just Touchdown.

hoing

Reaction score
If i were u, id get a moto droid it has lot better community than any other android phone

and my brother has an iphone4 and he says its horrible + data plans suck so hes joining android boat

swallman

Reaction score
Besides, I can take a bricked android phone and have it back up and running in 15 minutes.
If that's the case then they're weren't bricked. The word has been severely diluted recently.

The 3rd party Android app for Exchange is called Touchdown
"The"? There's far more out there than just Touchdown.

"far more" ?? The only other true Exchange client I am aware of is Roadsync which doesn't have nearly the functionality or stability of Touchdown.

drtechy

Reaction score

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
"far more" ?? The only other true Exchange client I am aware of is Roadsync which doesn't have nearly the functionality or stability of Touchdown.

K9 works well for me, although I miss the push feature that the stock corp email has.

For me, I like my Pure Messenger widget to integrate all my mail, so Touchdown is not very appealing to me. Although, Pure Messenger widget has been finicky for me because of memory issues stemming from an overloaded home theme I have.

It's just too bad that Google isn't doing more to improve the corporate mail/calendar support. IMO, that's the one feature preventing many corporate IT departments from even considering Android as an alternative. I'm a consultant, and I simply refuse to carry multiple phones for different companies and for personal.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
I love touchdown, and am running a 2.2 ROM. I tried the native e-mail app out for about 5 minutes and went back to touchdown.

My biggest gripe about the native app is that when you open an e-mail there is no way to select who you are going to send it to. You have to have all your contact's e-mail addresses memorized I guess. Yes, you can download the GAL lookup app(can't remember the name), and then select the people you want to send it to, but you have to do all that before opening an e-mail. It is very frustrating.

Touchdown is expensive, but it is worth every penny.

swallman

Reaction score
I love touchdown, and am running a 2.2 ROM. I tried the native e-mail app out for about 5 minutes and went back to touchdown.

My biggest gripe about the native app is that when you open an e-mail there is no way to select who you are going to send it to. You have to have all your contact's e-mail addresses memorized I guess. Yes, you can download the GAL lookup app(can't remember the name), and then select the people you want to send it to, but you have to do all that before opening an e-mail. It is very frustrating.

Touchdown is expensive, but it is worth every penny.

Actually, 2.2 has GAL lookup built into it now. In the address box you can just enter a last name and if it is not in your local address book, it will automatically do a GAL lookup.

Still not fully featured enough yet though - small things like forwarding emails don't work as well as they should.

Droids

Reaction score
With Android 2.1, you can accept or decline meeting requests, just not directly from the request. When a meeting request comes in, go to the event on the calendar, it will be there, and you can accept or decline. It's clumsy, but works for now. Android 2.2 fixes a lot of Exchange issues, still not ideal, but a good step in the right direction.

Ansextra

Reaction score
I am currently an iPhone user planning to switch to Droid X. My understanding is that Exchange support is native in Android? What is not included?

Coffee maker, Ferrari and 3 wishes. Otherwise it's got pretty much everything. dancedroid

Actually, the Exchange support is still pretty weak, even in Android 2.2

One key issue for myself is the ability to sync other folders in addition to the INBOX (for example, I like to have a copy of my recently Sent Mail). You can browse through your Sent Mail, but you have to wait for it to download to the phone (instead of being automatically synced).

The 3rd party Android app for Exchange is called Touchdown and the functionality and features are really way ahead of what is built into 2.1/2.2. Plus the developer is constantly making additional changes to the app. What I would do is try the built-in Exchange support and also download Touchdown (you get a full 30 days to try it for free) and see which app works better for what you want to do.
As far as Exchange support is concerned I really only need to see my inbox and calendar and get meeting reminders if possible. Will Android 2.1 give me that functionality?
Also, is there a way to combine my Exchange and Google calendars into one view? That's one feature I really like with my iPhone since I only have to check in one place to see if I'm free or not.

Droids

Reaction score
Try CalWidget (free) to combine Google and Exchange calendars. It's what I use and it works well. Has a billion different widget sizes to choose from.