Going on Vacation and considering a Droid

jt85gt

Reaction score
Next week I will be heading to Belgium for 5 days, I am currently with AT&T and considering switching to a Droid. If I switch over to the droid I am interested in knowing if I can use VOIP's yet while on wifi over there? I would also consider the Android Eris, but seems like that is already way behind the times with all these new Android devices coming out. Anyone think I should go with an Iphone?

qoncept

Reaction score
You'll be able to use VOIP on wifi wherever you go. I can't recommend an app but you'll definitely have the capability.

bastosero

Reaction score
Next week I will be heading to Belgium for 5 days, I am currently with AT&T and considering switching to a Droid. If I switch over to the droid I am interested in knowing if I can use VOIP's yet while on wifi over there? I would also consider the Android Eris, but seems like that is already way behind the times with all these new Android devices coming out. Anyone think I should go with an Iphone?

Try Nimbuzz in the market. Once you install it, create a Nimbuzz account. Then, you also need a Skype account. Login your Skype account in Nimbuzz and turn on your wi-fi. If you call someone with another Skype account, it's free. If you want to call a regular phone number, buy some Skype credit to make calls.

OP
J

jt85gt

Reaction score
I can look this up, but can I call people on a computer for free, or do I need the skype credits?

bastosero

Reaction score
I can look this up, but can I call people on a computer for free, or do I need the skype credits?

If you are calling people on their computer using Skype, then you don't need the Skype credit. Also, I'm not even sure you can use the Skype on Nimbuzz for SkypeOut calls. So yeah, if you are going to use Skype to call others using Skype in their computers, then it's free.

Last edited:

clucernoni

Reaction score
Do you have a Google voice account? If so, then your problem is solved.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Buy a Blackberry that will work overseas, use it, come home within 30 days and and return it for the Droid!

OP
J

jt85gt

Reaction score
No I am currently still on AT&T. I just heard that my airplane that I will be flying on has free wifi, so this is another reason why I would like to steup my phone search. Almost makes me wanna get the Iphone simply because it works everywhere (meaning in other countries with no worry). 8 hours in a plane with internet capability would be nice to pass some time.

pudah

Reaction score
I have interest in this too. I'll be in Jamaica this spring and though my phone will work there, I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Google voice clearly wont work because I'd be dialing an American number from Jamaica, and even if it's one of my free numbers, it wont work since I'll be roaming internationally. I thought there must be a way to use wifi on this phone to make calls. Would there be a way to use skype on the phone using wifi to connect and using only skype minutes or some other VOIP service to call back to the US cheaply? What about one of the desktop control apps. Do any of them forward along sound? If so I could use wifi to have that app connect to my PC and run a VOIP program over that to the phone.

bastosero

Reaction score
I have interest in this too. I'll be in Jamaica this spring and though my phone will work there, I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Google voice clearly wont work because I'd be dialing an American number from Jamaica, and even if it's one of my free numbers, it wont work since I'll be roaming internationally. I thought there must be a way to use wifi on this phone to make calls. Would there be a way to use skype on the phone using wifi to connect and using only skype minutes or some other VOIP service to call back to the US cheaply? What about one of the desktop control apps. Do any of them forward along sound? If so I could use wifi to have that app connect to my PC and run a VOIP program over that to the phone.

OR

You can just have the person(s) that you want to call and have them create a Skype account and use Skype on their own computer so you can call them for free with Skype to Skype calling on your Droid over wi-fi.

pudah

Reaction score

OR

You can just have the person(s) that you want to call and have them create a Skype account and use Skype on their own computer so you can call them for free with Skype to Skype calling on your Droid over wi-fi.

Is there a skype app for Droid? If so wouldn't I be able to use it to call skype on a computer for free AND to a phone via Skype for a nominal fee?

jefbystereo

Reaction score
From my understaning, the skype app is only 3g, but there are apps that will allow you to use your skype account over wifi. This would be free skype to skype, but cost a small amount when calling land lines (the normal skype fees). The GV+sipdroid+sipgate is the ideal (but more complicated) solution for cheapskates like me.

I just turned off my cell signal through airplane mode and made a call over wifi so it is confirmed working.