Gmail account PW change..

pistacio

Reaction score
Try unchecking the boxes in privacy settings? Backup and automatic restore... in addition to clear your Google apps data? Worth a shot.

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Just added that in pistacio and still have the same result... Thanks for the info!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm this will drive me nuts. Get back on a PC and check your account settings. Maybe there's something in there? Or maybe log on to the web version of the market and see if you can sign in.

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Xer, done and done. I did not see anything in the account settings that would have made any difference as far as the apps on my D3 logging in and I was able to log in and went so far as to download a free app from the web to my phone and it went through just fine.

I am just really leaning toward maybe it being something to do with how the D3 is set up. I may be way off but there HAS to be some way that we can manually log out of then log back into the main gmail account for these droids.. I just do not see me being the only D3 owner that has had to change their password via the web and by doing so had this problem on their D3.. I have owned two D1s and a D2 for a short period and have had my D3 since about a week after they were released and have NEVER had this kind of problem come up.

I have searched and searched every avenue I can think of and have not been able to find any post or topic that is as precise as this.

Gah I just REALLY was hoping to get around having to FR, but it is starting to look like I may have to..

Thanks again to all who replied!!

Mike

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I'm about to head to lala land. But I will look again tomorrow to see what I can find.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Found 2 more possible solutions.

1. Turn on wifi and try to log in. That change in network should fix it. If not...

2. Go to settings/accounts and sync/choose your Google account/untick all boxes/then select sync now or sync all and an error should appear where you can sign in with the new password

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Xer, I have tried on and off of wifi. There is no option for me to log in is the problem. If I could log out of the main gmail account and log back in all would be perfect in the world lol.

Also did the untick sync boxes, included restarting phone after unticking them and every time no matter what I have done it does not give me the option to change anything as far as my login name or password. Same thing for Google Talk.

The link you posted earlier was probably the very first link I found after this problem started and it was not much help either even when going to the password reset via the browser on my phone.. If I could just log out of the main account on my phone somehow and change the password to what it is now things would be great, or at least be able to change my gmail password to what it was before yesterday morning..

Thanks again for your help!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wow Mike, your thread is 3 pages. :p. But hey I was thinking with the D2/D3 firmware update coming, maybe a factory wipe is a blessing in disguise?

-Matt

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
lol yes Matt it is, and I truly appreciate everyone who has commented trying to help with this problem!!

As much as I hate the thought of having to factory wipe, it is starting to look like that may be my only option.. I have been searching and reading forum posts all day and have yet to come across anything that is exactly like this..

Mike

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm not sure what else to do. Never seen this issue. I always get an authentication error when I change passwords. I click on it and update my password and all is good in the world. I don't know bud.

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't understand it myself.

I appreciate your help Xer, and everyone else who commented.
I will just keep messing around with it until I give in and wipe it.

If I figure it out somehow I will for sure post what I did to correct the issue!

Thanks again folks!
Mike

doogald

Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the GMail password again (on a PC, of course)? Anytime that this has happened to me I have been prompted in the notification area to enter my Google account password - though, I must say, that was always with my old HTC phone. It hasn't happened on the D3 (I now use two-factor Google account authentication, which can be its own pain in the neck...)

Reaction score
Heres a strange workaround, however, it may not work if you're not rooted. While i was theming my phone, i discovered i had to sign into gmail after i adb pushed the edited version of the framework-res.apk, i had to sign back into my master gmail account on my phone. So i'm willing to bet if you grabbed your framework and repushed it onto your device, it'll prompt you to sign in again. The one downside is if you have a fb account on your phone, it seems to permanently break it (until data wipe). But this may keep you from having to do a data wipe, especially if you dont have a fb account synced to your phone lol.

At the same time, you could do a data wipe. Just make sure everything is backed up by google or titu. You'll just have to deal with setting some of the apps up, launcher, widget, etc.

If you plan on going this route (assuming you have a pc),
Google and download the android SDK
Install it. It'll have you install the tools in a folder
open command prompt
navigate to the tools folder (the command cd changes directory to what you specify. Ex: cd desktop\android\d3 root will bring me there, granted it exists)
Type 'adb'
enter
'Adb remount'
enter
'Adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk'
enter
'Adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk'
enter
'Adb reboot'

Note: i've never actually installed and set up adb. So install for that may be wrong. What i use to get to abd is what came on my one click root i used to root my phone. When you extract the zip for that, adb.exe is in that folder. Navigate to it with command prompt and adb should work.
Good luck. I'm not responsible for blah blah, you already know.

pistacio

Reaction score
I'm thinking way back when I had my D1, I locked the screen and forgot the swipe gesture because I just changed it. After several attempts it prompted for my Gmail password, forgot that too, lol. Changed it online, signed in with new password on phone and it worked miraculously.

You could just try swiping the wrong gesture until it asks for a password then type it in?...

Sent from:
[ ] Droid 1 A855
[ ] Droid 3 XT862
[x] Xoom WiFi
All rooted, of course.