Email accounts

ba_rt

Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded from Droid 1 to Droid 3. The way email accounts work on D3 is different. On D1, if an email was retrieved by an another external client and deleted from the email server, that email was automatically deleted from D1 on next sync. That worked well for me, since I prefer to control emails from my PC. On D3 the emails stay on the phone, even if they are gone from the email server, and I could not find any settings to change that.
Also, on my secondary gmail account that I set up on D3, some emails seem to be pulled AND DELETED from the server by D3 and some are not deleted. Again, could not find a setting to change this.
If anyone can point me to where I can get info on how the email accounts are supposed to work on D3, I would appreciate it.

mattbooty

Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded from Droid 1 to Droid 3. The way email accounts work on D3 is different. On D1, if an email was retrieved by an another external client and deleted from the email server, that email was automatically deleted from D1 on next sync. That worked well for me, since I prefer to control emails from my PC. On D3 the emails stay on the phone, even if they are gone from the email server, and I could not find any settings to change that.
Also, on my secondary gmail account that I set up on D3, some emails seem to be pulled AND DELETED from the server by D3 and some are not deleted. Again, could not find a setting to change this.
If anyone can point me to where I can get info on how the email accounts are supposed to work on D3, I would appreciate it.

What type of email is it? Exchange, yahoo, hotmail, etc?

OP
B

ba_rt

Reaction score
I have 2 secondary email accounts. One ATT and one gmail, both using POP3.

mattbooty

Reaction score
I don't have any pop3 accounts set up so I can't do much to help you with that, maybe someone else can?

Venom51

Reaction score
Motorola and their Blur crapware have ruined the email experience on this device. The Universal inbox is useless as you have no idea which account the email was recieved from unlike the color coding on the original Android email client combined inbox.

OP
B

ba_rt

Reaction score
Motorola and their Blur crapware have ruined the email experience on this device. The Universal inbox is useless as you have no idea which account the email was recieved from unlike the color coding on the original Android email client combined inbox.

Agreed. Any 3rd party app alternatives out there?

Venom51

Reaction score

Agreed. Any 3rd party app alternatives out there?

There's always Touchdown but quite frankly I prefer the stock Gingerbread email client. I run multiple corporate accounts on my devices and my D1 hadles it better than the Blur **** on the D3. The Blur crap won't even remember that you were in the Universal Inbox wen you close the email app and return. You have to launch the messaging app and then select universal inbox again. Completely stupid and counter productive.

OP
B

ba_rt

Reaction score
Gave up on trying to make Moto/Blur email stuff work. You can't change any aspect of how email is fetched and handled. It's so bad, it's ridiculous. Thank god for K-9 Mail. As described on Android Market, best email client for Android. You can customize EVERYTHING. I'm email-happy now :)

neonerz

Reaction score

What Blur did to the accounts system in general is infuriating. They destroyed it. What did they gain with "My Accounts"? What was wrong with the stock way Android handled accounts. It worked beautifully.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Frustrating as all hell right??

But after a week of getting used to it... I kinda like the way it works...

I know... i'll shutup

sre123

Reaction score
Me too!

Today is my first day with the D3. I looked at my emails on my computer at home this morning. (I have a POP3 acct). When i got to work and looked at my emails on the D3, all the emails that were on my phone were the ones I read my computer at home earlier! On the original Moto Droid, there was an option to delete emails from the server and I never had this issue. Very strange!

Venom51

Reaction score
Today is my first day with the D3. I looked at my emails on my computer at home this morning. (I have a POP3 acct). When i got to work and looked at my emails on the D3, all the emails that were on my phone were the ones I read my computer at home earlier! On the original Moto Droid, there was an option to delete emails from the server and I never had this issue. Very strange!

Go back into accounts...edit that account and scroll down to other settings. Select 'Never Delete Messages.

sre123

Reaction score
No, I don't think you understand from my previous post. I want the emails to NOT load on my phone once they have been uploaded onto my desktop computer. It has the option to "remove the manually deleted items from the server" which I have checked. But, the Droid 1 used to remove the emails from the phone once they were on your computer at home. I don't want them on the phone if I have them at home. I am allowed to automatically delete messages from the phone in 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 mos, 2 mos or Never. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update. Thanks for your suggestion.:)

Venom51

Reaction score
No, I don't think you understand from my previous post. I want the emails to NOT load on my phone once they have been uploaded onto my desktop computer. It has the option to "remove the manually deleted items from the server" which I have checked. But, the Droid 1 used to remove the emails from the phone once they were on your computer at home. I don't want them on the phone if I have them at home. I am allowed to automatically delete messages from the phone in 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 mos, 2 mos or Never. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update. Thanks for your suggestion.:)

Sorry I assumed you wanted the email on the PC and the Droid to mirror each other. They are indeed missing the "when deleted from Inbox" setting from the D1. This is Motorola's fault for screwing up the email applications with Blur.

Now the one way to get the same effect would be to set your pop server to not leave email on the server. It will be downloaded to whichever client checks mail first. The better solution is to use IMAP if it's available from the service provider you are using for mail. Than anything you do in either client will be reflected on the other.

sre123

Reaction score

Sorry I assumed you wanted the email on the PC and the Droid to mirror each other. They are indeed missing the "when deleted from Inbox" setting from the D1. This is Motorola's fault for screwing up the email applications with Blur.

Now the one way to get the same effect would be to set your pop server to not leave email on the server. It will be downloaded to whichever client checks mail first. The better solution is to use IMAP if it's available from the service provider you are using for mail. Than anything you do in either client will be reflected on the other.

No need to be sorry, my post wasn't too clear. I don't really know what IMAP is, but I know that my email (optonline.net) is a POP3, so it probably wouldn't work. Darn it! How would I change the pop3 server like you mention? I have tried to find that option and an unable to so far...
Hope they fix this, it is going to be very time consuming to delete all the emails over and over on my desktop computer and on the phone. Oh well, what we have to put up with for a cool phone!:greendroid: