Gmail account PW change..

mshams115

Reaction score
I have searched and searched on the forum for the answer with no luck.

This morning I had to change my main gmail account password. I did this on my computer online.

Now my gmail on my D3 will not sync and Google Talk will not sign in.

Anyone know how I can correct this issue?

TIA
Mike

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Mike, I don't have my D3 in front of me -- but can't you go to settings/accounts and just delete the main account, then add it back? I know on the D1 the first/primary account cannot be deleted (factory reset only) but I thought on later devices you could. Have you tried that?

-Matt

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Matt, Yes I tried that and it says that the only way to delete it was to do the factory reset. Hoping I can stay away from that option if possible..
I have also went to the applications and cleared the cache and history for all email/messenger apps...

Insane to me that a simple password change would cause this kind of trouble.. I just hope I have missed something all day..

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Mike, how far have you gone in the "removal" process? I just took a peek at my D3 and for the two accounts on the phone, I get a "remove account" option for both (primary and secondary accounts) and then a popup that tells me I'll lose all the usual stuff (texts, contacts, etc.). But that should restore (at least the contacts and email) after adding the account back. I didn't see a warning that factory reset was required, but admittedly I didn't go all the way through it!

-Matt

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Matt, once I get to the accounts area I can hit the Main account that I am having problems with and at the bottom it has the "Remove Account" option, I can hit it and the same message you receive pops up with another "Remove Account" or "Cancel" option with it. When I choose remove account that is when I get the message saying "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data). You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy."

Mike

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Damn, that was exactly what I hoped you wouldn't say! I can tell you that I've gotten password error messages from time to time, but it doesn't sound like that's happened yet.

-Matt

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Thanks Matt for your replies!

Maybe someone will come along soon who has dealt with this.. If not I guess I will have to reset... sigh lol

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm try going to apps/settings/manage apps/all/talk/wipe data and then login again to talk

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Xer, that was one of the first things I did once I started having this issue after changing my gmail password. Just to be safe I just did it again for talk and gmail.

The thing that gets me is that I am NOT prompted to log in again, BOTH gmail and talk just go straight to logging in or trying to sync.

If I could figure out how to manually change the password for gmail or talk I believe this issue would be resolved..

Mike

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also wipe data for the market app. Wipe all three data again then it should prompt you to sign in.

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
No good with wiping all three Xer. No prompt for login with any of the gmail/google apps..

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm that's really weird. Normally when I change the password, I get an error for my email or talk and.it prompts me to sign in. Hmmm have you tried a reboot?

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
lol yeah I have rebooted several times today. I have googled and searched forums and I am lost as to how to get the login prompt to come up..

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
And you're wiping data right? Not just cache? Also force stop the app.

OP
mshams115

mshams115

Reaction score
Yup, just went through them again. Force stopped, cleared cache then cleared data. Also included all google apps and services. Rebooted, still no luck so I went back and cleared data, force stopped and rebooted. Same result.

I will keep going through with as many different ways to do it and maybe one will work. But so far I am still stuck.

Thanks for your replies Droid-Xer!