Gmail account PW change..

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by mshams115, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

I have searched and searched on the forum for the answer with no luck.

This morning I had to change my main gmail account password. I did this on my computer online.

Now my gmail on my D3 will not sync and Google Talk will not sign in.

Anyone know how I can correct this issue?

TIA
    Mike
  2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Mike, I don't have my D3 in front of me -- but can't you go to settings/accounts and just delete the main account, then add it back? I know on the D1 the first/primary account cannot be deleted (factory reset only) but I thought on later devices you could. Have you tried that?

-Matt
  3. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Matt, Yes I tried that and it says that the only way to delete it was to do the factory reset. Hoping I can stay away from that option if possible..
    I have also went to the applications and cleared the cache and history for all email/messenger apps...

Insane to me that a simple password change would cause this kind of trouble.. I just hope I have missed something all day..
  4. gadgetrants

Mike, how far have you gone in the "removal" process? I just took a peek at my D3 and for the two accounts on the phone, I get a "remove account" option for both (primary and secondary accounts) and then a popup that tells me I'll lose all the usual stuff (texts, contacts, etc.). But that should restore (at least the contacts and email) after adding the account back. I didn't see a warning that factory reset was required, but admittedly I didn't go all the way through it!

-Matt
  5. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Matt, once I get to the accounts area I can hit the Main account that I am having problems with and at the bottom it has the "Remove Account" option, I can hit it and the same message you receive pops up with another "Remove Account" or "Cancel" option with it. When I choose remove account that is when I get the message saying "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data). You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy."

Mike
  6. gadgetrants

Damn, that was exactly what I hoped you wouldn't say! I can tell you that I've gotten password error messages from time to time, but it doesn't sound like that's happened yet.

-Matt
  7. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Thanks Matt for your replies!

Maybe someone will come along soon who has dealt with this.. If not I guess I will have to reset... sigh lol
  8. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Hmm try going to apps/settings/manage apps/all/talk/wipe data and then login again to talk
  9. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Xer, that was one of the first things I did once I started having this issue after changing my gmail password. Just to be safe I just did it again for talk and gmail.

The thing that gets me is that I am NOT prompted to log in again, BOTH gmail and talk just go straight to logging in or trying to sync.

If I could figure out how to manually change the password for gmail or talk I believe this issue would be resolved..

Mike
  10. Droid-Xer

Also wipe data for the market app. Wipe all three data again then it should prompt you to sign in.
  11. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

No good with wiping all three Xer. No prompt for login with any of the gmail/google apps..
  12. Droid-Xer

Hmm that's really weird. Normally when I change the password, I get an error for my email or talk and.it prompts me to sign in. Hmmm have you tried a reboot?
  13. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

lol yeah I have rebooted several times today. I have googled and searched forums and I am lost as to how to get the login prompt to come up..
  14. Droid-Xer

And you're wiping data right? Not just cache? Also force stop the app.
  15. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Yup, just went through them again. Force stopped, cleared cache then cleared data. Also included all google apps and services. Rebooted, still no luck so I went back and cleared data, force stopped and rebooted. Same result.

I will keep going through with as many different ways to do it and maybe one will work. But so far I am still stuck.

Thanks for your replies Droid-Xer!
  16. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Try unchecking the boxes in privacy settings? Backup and automatic restore... in addition to clear your Google apps data? Worth a shot.
  17. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Just added that in pistacio and still have the same result... Thanks for the info!
  18. Droid-Xer

Hmm this will drive me nuts. Get back on a PC and check your account settings. Maybe there's something in there? Or maybe log on to the web version of the market and see if you can sign in.
  19. mshams115

mshams115 New Member

Xer, done and done. I did not see anything in the account settings that would have made any difference as far as the apps on my D3 logging in and I was able to log in and went so far as to download a free app from the web to my phone and it went through just fine.

I am just really leaning toward maybe it being something to do with how the D3 is set up. I may be way off but there HAS to be some way that we can manually log out of then log back into the main gmail account for these droids.. I just do not see me being the only D3 owner that has had to change their password via the web and by doing so had this problem on their D3.. I have owned two D1s and a D2 for a short period and have had my D3 since about a week after they were released and have NEVER had this kind of problem come up.

I have searched and searched every avenue I can think of and have not been able to find any post or topic that is as precise as this.

Gah I just REALLY was hoping to get around having to FR, but it is starting to look like I may have to..

Thanks again to all who replied!!

Mike
  20. Droid-Xer

Well I'm about to head to lala land. But I will look again tomorrow to see what I can find.
Search tags for this page
android motorola photon change gmail password reset

change gmail password on droid bionic

change gmail password with android command prompt

droid pro change gmail password

gmail change pw

gmail passward recovery apk

gmail password recovery.apk
how to change bionic gmail password

how to change email password on motorola photon

how to change gmail pw?
how to change google password on bionic