Global?!?

Tonik

Reaction score
Under settings...more settings...mobile network....I am set for global. Shouldn't that be LTE/CMDA?

Never touched it, every thing works just struck me as odd.

travis4380

Reaction score
I had mine set to lte/cdma and kept getting a popup asking me if I wanted to switch to global mode. So I switched it back to global to keep from gettibg the popup.

rabernet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note Edge
I had the same question on another forum and never got an answer. I don't get a pop up asking me if I want to change back to global. I thought global might use more battery, but not sure.

pharmnatr

Reaction score
I had mine set to lte/cdma and kept getting a popup asking me if I wanted to switch to global mode. So I switched it back to global to keep from gettibg the popup.
I had the same problem while in the subways. The phone would constantly ask me to switch to global.
I finally went to a Verizon store to ask. They said its normal for the phone to do that and suggested to switch to airplane mode while on the subway and out of signal range. If you keep it set to global you lose the benefit of the lte network.
Hope this helps.
Al

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have always set mine to LTE/CDAM. Some users see a slight battery improvement in doing so. I have never gotten that popup though. Even on my S3 its set to LTE and I dont get a popup.

Sent from the Galaxy S III

JESSEVARGAS

Reaction score
I checked my phone and it was set to "Global" so I changed it to "LTE". Let's see what happens.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Either one will work just fine, and the battery drain will be virtually identical between the two.

Global works exactly the same as LTE/CDMA, except that when all all Verizon-compatible LTE and CDMA connections are lost, it will then try to look for a compatible GSM network in addition to LTE and CDMA (because with a lack of connection to Verizon's network, it thinks you could be traveling internationally). The Verizon SIM card isn't compatible with any U.S. GSM network, so it won't end up connecting to anything. The only time that could be different is for people who live along the Canadian or Mexican border and who are in range of a GSM network that operates outside of the U.S. that is a Verizon roaming partner.

In LTE/CDMA mode, if you lose service from Verizon, it will keep looking for Verizon-compatible LTE and CDMA service.

The only time there will ever be any differences in how the radio behaves is when you lose Verizon-compatible service completely. If this happens on a regular basis for you, Global mode might drain your battery slightly faster because it's searching for three potential networks as opposed to two, but it won't be that big of a difference. Verizon has the phone programmed to default to Global mode so that the phone will work more easily internationally since it's advertised as a global device. If it was programmed to default to LTE/CDMA, you can be sure there would be several complaints from novice travelers who don't know to switch the network mode. It's just easier for Verizon to default to Global since the impact on performance is virtually non-existent for most people.

So, for most people, it really doesn't matter which mode you have the phone in. Both will perform exactly the same for almost everyone pretty much all the time.

geoff5093

Reaction score
When I spoke to a Verizon tier 2 rep she said to leave my phone on Global as it will allow me to roam off AT&T and other carriers when Verizon doesn't have coverage. I told her I never thought Verizon roamed off any domestic GSM carriers but she said they do...