Gingerbread's rumored Dec. 6th launch gains traction thanks to Notion Ink

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Official development, you mean? :) After all, as long as someone owns one and cares to do so, development will never cease.

The Hero still has a CyanogenMod variant for it, the Eris is running 2.2, people refuse to give up on their G1's. It's just amazing how much love people have for their phones.
yes exactly! Official development may cease but we have very dedicated dev's who won't let that stop them, thankfully!

kauthor47

Reaction score
Personally I'm really glad to see so much love for the G1 - that was the device that started it all :)

jjq224

Reaction score
OK, I don't know if anyone out there will be able to answer this yet, but I'm going to ask.

I have the R2-D2 Droid 2 phone. I was leery about rooting it, but finally broke down and did so - but all I've changed is the boot logo (to the Death Star) and installed the wireless tether.

I have read on the boards that the new OTA update may cause issues with rooted phones. I've also read that OTA updates unroot the phone as well. So my question is this - should I be worried about my phone becoming a brick with the new update? I spent a lot of time convincing the wife to let me buy the phone and, other than the boot logo, would like to keep it stock.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

R2D2-01-june.gif

Sent from my personal R2-D2 Droid using DroidForums App

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
It would be so appropriate if Gingerbread started release today, since it's St. Nicholas Day. :)

carbine

Reaction score
OK, I don't know if anyone out there will be able to answer this yet, but I'm going to ask.

I have the R2-D2 Droid 2 phone. I was leery about rooting it, but finally broke down and did so - but all I've changed is the boot logo (to the Death Star) and installed the wireless tether.

I have read on the boards that the new OTA update may cause issues with rooted phones. I've also read that OTA updates unroot the phone as well. So my question is this - should I be worried about my phone becoming a brick with the new update? I spent a lot of time convincing the wife to let me buy the phone and, other than the boot logo, would like to keep it stock.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

R2D2-01-june.gif

You should be fine. If it asks to update just don't accept it. What method did you use to root your phone? A lot of utilities like sprecovery and clockwork block OTA updates from applying themselves anyways.

jjq224

Reaction score
You should be fine. If it asks to update just don't accept it. What method did you use to root your phone? A lot of utilities like sprecovery and clockwork block OTA updates from applying themselves anyways.

I believe I used Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers when I rooted it. What about unrooting it, accepting Gingerbread and then rerooting it? Or, would there be some other way to get Gingerbread other than OTA?

Sorry for the NOOB questions - I appreciate all the help.

R2D2-01-june.gif

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
There was a story a while back about a D1 running Gingerbread. If the D1 can run something like MIUI then I don't see any reason why someone can't modify a Gingerbread Android version to run on a Droid 1. I'm in the camp that doesn't think Motorola will bother releasing this update to a phone they no longer sell. At the same time the following item ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/102414-motorola-droid-still-king-hill.html ) makes me think that there are enough devs out there that someone will give us D1 owners some sort of Gingerbread crumbs. If there is some cool new feature Gingerbread includes, the D1 rooted phones may get it.

I agree, and I'd much rather get those crumbs in the form of a new custom rom from another forum member, than OTA from Verizon who I don't trust much, or Motorola...the same sweet people who gave us the locked, encrypted and booby-trapped Droid X bootloader... who I don't trust one bit. Motorola is quite capable of releasing an OTA update that would somehow un-root all of our phones. If they don't actually try to do it, it won't be from lack of desire on their part.

-Mike

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

I believe I used Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers when I rooted it. What about unrooting it, accepting Gingerbread and then rerooting it? Or, would there be some other way to get Gingerbread other than OTA?

Sorry for the NOOB questions - I appreciate all the help.

R2D2-01-june.gif

I can answer all your questions with a single word: Research.

NEVER accept an OTA with a D2/X device of any stripe if you've removed any of the bloat. It won't install, in the first place, and if it did not only would it break root it would seriously mess with your stuff. You have months before Gingerbread drops, but there might be an update in the meantime. You'd do well to take a couple hours and go looking through the D2 section here to see what you can find since a whole bunch of the D1 information no longer applies due to the locked bootloader. :) That's a mighty fine (and expensive) phone you have there, and I'm slightly jealous of the geek factor. I'd REALLY hate to see you break it. :D

Also, I really hope you backed up all that bloat you removed, otherwise you'll have to flash a stock ROM/SBF your phone back to stock just to get any updates. :)

jjq224

Reaction score
I can answer all your questions with a single word: Research.

NEVER accept an OTA with a D2/X device of any stripe if you've removed any of the bloat. It won't install, in the first place, and if it did not only would it break root it would seriously mess with your stuff. You have months before Gingerbread drops, but there might be an update in the meantime. You'd do well to take a couple hours and go looking through the D2 section here to see what you can find since a whole bunch of the D1 information no longer applies due to the locked bootloader. :) That's a mighty fine (and expensive) phone you have there, and I'm slightly jealous of the geek factor. I'd REALLY hate to see you break it. :D

Also, I really hope you backed up all that bloat you removed, otherwise you'll have to flash a stock ROM/SBF your phone back to stock just to get any updates. :)

Actually, no problem there - I haven't removed anything. The only changes I have made after rooting it were to install Wireless Tether and I changed the "M" on boot to a Death Star (I know - over the top geek). But everything else - including the bloat - is stock. But, the very first thing I did after rooting it was to install Droid 2 bootstrap and made a backup. So, with all of that in mind, I should have no problems Everything else (ie:contacts) are backed up nightly or are on the SD card. So if I have to drop it back to factory, I won't lose much.

Thanks for the help everyone!

R2D2-01-june.gif

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Not only are they backed up on the SD card, but with Google and should restore automatically, unless you disabled that feature. ;)

I don't know how that death star boot logo will affect things, though. That one's above my pay grade. :D