Gingerbread's rumored Dec. 6th launch gains traction thanks to Notion Ink

zero7404

Reaction score
it would be nice to breath some new life into this device with gingerbread ...
however i am possibly planning on making the jump this january to the d2g ...

if gingerbread is released to the D1, it could sustain some resale value for the device, i'd like to recoupe about $ 200 so that i can go with the d2g, making the upgrade financially painless ...

how much do you guys think a pristine/98% flawless 1-yr old D1 fetches these days ?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wonder how long it will farking take for VZW to give it to our droids

Considering VZW doesn't make money on phones I don't see a big incentive NOT to do it, other than they have a heck of a lot of phones now to support and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they find some excuses to stop supporting older phones (i.e. "not powerful enough).

Plus, if they stop supporting the D1 they'll have people anxious to upgrade to an LTE phone (which, again, VZW only really benefits if they charge more for LTE).

I personally hope VZW DOESN'T roll-out this upgrade for Gingerbread (rooted users will get it one way or another). Then I can go in and raise holy hell about them providing support service for only a little over a year and they should give me an early upgrade as compensation.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Yeah GB would be a nice jolt of extra life for the original Droid, it's king of the hill right now, however it is discontinued, so it's anyone's guess right now. It would definitely tie me over til the Mecha comes out

everstar80

Reaction score
I'm curious that if it is finally released on dec. 6 what devices are more likely to get it. Will it be for all the phones that have at least 1ghz processor? Or is it just for the ones that use nexus one? Any ideas?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Been watchin this thread for a while and I was just wondering if any handsets will see gingerbread update tommorrow on the 6th

Sent from my D2

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
No, not unless they're announcing a tablet/handset at the same time that nobody knows about or will be going on sale soon. Should be just the announcment, maybe a timeline, and possibly/probably the SDK dropping, and a lot of hype.

Or it'll be understated and get slipped in with almost nobody noticing. :)

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still have an old Razr lying around somewhere, realistically when will 2.3 hit it? I am thinking soon, got my fingers crossed!!!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still have an old Razr lying around somewhere, realistically when will 2.3 hit it? I am thinking soon, got my fingers crossed!!!!

I heard from a reliable source that the razr will be the first to get it. Some time around midnight iirc

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am rooted so I will see atleast some form of GB but I am really really interested to see if the Droid 1 truly has reached it's EOL not only in sales but development now as well.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Official development, you mean? :) After all, as long as someone owns one and cares to do so, development will never cease.

The Hero still has a CyanogenMod variant for it, the Eris is running 2.2, people refuse to give up on their G1's. It's just amazing how much love people have for their phones.