Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Gingerbread's rumored Dec. 6th launch gains traction thanks to Notion Ink

Alex Wagner
136956-gingerbread.jpg

Rumors of Gingerbread's launch date have been a dime a dozen as of late and, because there have been so many (and because they've all been wrong), it's been hard to put much faith in any of them. The latest rumor is that Android 2.3 will launch on Monday, December 6th, at the D: Dive Into Mobile event. We were a bit hesitant to believe the speculation at first, but now this rumor has gotten a jolt of life thanks to a blog post from Notion Ink. While announcing that all six variants of their Adam tablet had passed the FCC, the company slipped in the following bit of information:

6th December is another big day for Android and you will find out how fast Notion Ink can work. (Eden is extremely compatible with 2.3)

It's certainly no confirmation from Google, but that one sentence from Notion Ink has reignited the rumor mill. When you remember that on November 15th, Eric Schmidt said that Gingerbread would be coming in a "few weeks," the possibility of getting a GIngerbread treat on Monday looks even better. Still, this is all a rumor at this point, so be sure to keep a bit of salt nearby. So with this latest news, what do you all think about December 6th as G-Day?

Via Androinica, Notion Ink

Gingerbread's rumored Dec. 6th launch gains traction thanks to Notion Ink

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm looking forward to seeing Gingerbread hitting devices. Should be some exciting times coming up for Android users.

cucucachu0000

Reaction score
any chance the D1 gets it? is there anything we could do if motorolla decides we dont get it?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
CK, do you still think the d1 non-rooted phones will see some form of it?
Such a good question. I think we will not for a variety of reasons and from the looks of it the only update they will be pushing out to us (OG Droid owners) is FRG83D.

I'd be very surprised if we got it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm a little more optimistic about it than you are, CK, but since the SDK hasn't even dropped yet (unless I missed something), then even Motorola doesn't have the code to play with yet. We shall see -- there isn't another Dev phone with vanilla Android on it except the N1 yet. :) (Again, unless I missed something. ;))

DanielC

Reaction score
I'm a little more optimistic about it than you are, CK, but since the SDK hasn't even dropped yet (unless I missed something), then even Motorola doesn't have the code to play with yet. We shall see -- there isn't another Dev phone with vanilla Android on it except the N1 yet. :) (Again, unless I missed something. ;))

I'm fairly certain that manufacturers have access to the google source before it is available to the public. :reddroid:

pyro6128

Reaction score
I dont expect non rooted users to get this pushed to their phone. Now us rooted folk, thats a different story. Although it remains to be seen if the d1 will even be able to handle a gingerbread rom well enough to make it viable for everyday use (and not everyday sluggish use!)

Twitch043

Reaction score
Say it did come to Moto D1 phones. For those of us who are rooted (I run basically a vanilla root, the basic 2.2 but... rooted.) Would a rooted version of it be developed that we would have to install like any other ROM? Given the dev community of this phone, I wouldn't be surprised, but still I'm wondering.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Say it did come to Moto D1 phones. For those of us who are rooted (I run basically a vanilla root, the basic 2.2 but... rooted.) Would a rooted version of it be developed that we would have to install like any other ROM? Given the dev community of this phone, I wouldn't be surprised, but still I'm wondering.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Yeah I am sure you will still have your stock rooted roms but also the dev's will incorporate it into their own Rom's as well.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt the D1 will see an official GB update, but we'll have some version of it in a ROM, that I'm certain of :)