OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thank you so much LadyLuddite! This made my day and I am so glad that my post was so helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And you too, FoxKat!

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

LadyLuddite

Reaction score
Oh no, TMD, you made MY day. Let me tell you, I thought my phone was a goner. As you can probably deduce from my username, I'm not exactly techy. But your excellent advice saved me from using my phone as a paperweight and buying a new one! And FoxKat, my battery is lasting much longer since the reset. Both of you are terrific.

Have a good week, everyone!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh no, TMD, you made MY day. Let me tell you, I thought my phone was a goner. As you can probably deduce from my username, I'm not exactly techy. But your excellent advice saved me from using my phone as a paperweight and buying a new one! And FoxKat, my battery is lasting much longer since the reset. Both of you are terrific.

Have a good week, everyone!

:D Well, then we're BOTH glad things worked out for you! :biggrin:

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ditto... I love these success stories!

OleManDan

Reaction score
Jumping down the road to March 12, I downloaded JB, and followed your information and did a FDR and a re-boot.
Everything worked fantastic. JB is smooth and fast. My battery seems to last longer too.
What's not to like? Thanks for the information.

(Old threads are still useful if you take the time to read them.)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Because, I am starting to feel like a broken record, I thought this might help all… especially now that the Rezound is also receiving their long awaited OTA Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update.

ICS is a brand new operating system that is similar but, oh so very different, than GB. Because it is a new operating system, if you do not do a Factory Data Reset (fdr), you can expect to have problems with lag and battery life. That is because your phone is now bogged down with old data that works best with GB and new data that works best with ICS and you can expect the old to conflict with the new. Not all people have these problems but many do. Doing an FDR has helped those that do. To get the most success from upgrading to ICS and doing an fdr, here are some guidelines I suggest and that have worked well for me and many others.

1). Backup your information: call logs, bookmarks, data, apps, pics, etc that you want to make sure you retain: Here are suggestions I posted before but it is not the only way to accomplish this task.

• I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore. Both are free from play store.
  • I backup pretty much everything with MyBackup except for my texts (I use the SMS B&R for that) and photos, media & music because I keep those on my ext-sd card. If you want to play it safe then backup your photos, media and music also.
  • I also go into individual apps and use their backup if they have one. I actually keep a list of all my apps where it has this feature.
  • I backup my texts using SMS Backup & Restore (it gives you many more options for backing up your texts than MyBackup does).
  • After I do the fdr, I first go into play store and make sure it is not automatically installing all my apps and stop if it is... cuz I want to do those one at a time. Usually I discover there are apps I do not use or want anymore this way. But this is not necessary.
  • Then I go into SMS B&R and restore my texts.
  • Then I install my apps, one at a time. I open the ones I use most or that have their own backup & restore feature... I check to see if they are still the way I had them. Some are, some aren't. Then I go to the app's setting and restore for the ones that have that feature.
  • I make sure my emails are set up. I use Enhanced Email, so all I have to do is restore them. Not sure what other email programs have this feature.
  • Then as I use my phone and use my various apps, I either reset them up fresh or I will use MyBackup to restore their previous settings.
  • I probably missed a few steps that I typically do because it is fairly automatic for me but that is close.
2). After you have backed up everything you want to save, do a Factory Data Reset. You ensure a fresh clean device by doing this and limit the risk of any conflicts between old stuff and new stuff. I recommend doing it from the recovery menu but it can also be done through settings --> privacy.

3). Recalibrate your meter for your battery. This will ensure that the meter that reads your battery’s state of charge is accurate. We have nicknamed this process “FoxKatting” after FoxKat who knows everything there is to know about your battery health.

• With your phone powered off, charge it to 100% preferably using the charger that came with your phone plugged into an outlet.
  • Unplug your phone from the charger, power up your phone.
  • When your phone gets to the “Low Battery” warning (for the Razr’s on ICS it is at 10%), turn off your phone and charge to 100% again.
  • When your phone reaches 100% while off, unplug, power on and use and charge as you normally would.
  • It is recommended to repeat this procedure once every 2-3 months.

4) Enjoy your ICS with success! Be aware that some things are different with ICS but you are still able to do everything you were before but some things may be different in how you do them and some things require a convenient work-a-round. Ask any questions if you can’t figure something out. Follow these suggestions and you will be reaping the benefits of ICS in no time!.

How did I miss this fine work(wo)manship? Nicely done, Tis! They say "better late than never"! Well, I'm two system versions late...but at least Android is still a current OS! :blink:

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
How did I miss this fine work(wo)manship? Nicely done, Tis! They say "better late than never"! Well, I'm two system versions late...but at least Android is still a current OS! :blink:

Hey, you're supposed to read all my posts! You never know, I could try to sneak a swear word in one of them.

droidbionic3401

Reaction score
I am a novice when it comes to technology. My droid bionic is the first smartphone I have owned. I thought encrypting my data would be helpful in the event I ever lost my phone - an enormous mistake! I recently upgraded my phone from I'm assuming gingerbread to jellybean. My phone sort of went haywire. I found this thread very helpful. My only comment would be to state at the beginning of the directions - in bold capital letters that if the person has encrypted their SD card, they should not perform a factory reset. I downloaded the apps recommended, saved my data to the sd card and also backed up the data on my computer. However, it is all encrypted. I then performed the factory reset. Low and behold, I cannot access my sd card any longer. As referenced in the thread "SD card encrypted, cannot retrieve", it was discovered that resetting the phone causes the key file to reset making it impossible to access that data again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. I was very involved in trying to find a solution to a member who lost irreplaceable photos and videos of her child. After loss of research I determined there is no easy to reverse the damage. There ought to be a way to backup the hash key and restore it after a factory reset or phone replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2